PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

Sabah_Alev
04-27-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm horribly bad at remembering laws,

I'm going to get my first rifle, my plan was to obtain a Russian SKS, and do nothing to it, but pull of bayonet charges.

however i ran into a problem, i have a head strong friend whos going to be a cop, very soon, and he keeps telling me that they are illegal, and he will shoot me if he pulls me over.

problem being is that i know of many people who told me this rifle was perfectly legal.

if possible i was wondering if someone could tell me if its legal or not, and if so, what makes it legal/illegal

Harrison_Bergeron
04-27-2008, 12:06 AM
Norinco SKS with detachable magazine is illegal.

Fixed mag for use with stripper clips is legal. Yugo M59/66 with detachable mag is legal.

You need a new friend.

Sounds like an idiot, but might as well print out a copy of the AW Flowchart at the top of the page to give him.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Sabah_Alev
04-27-2008, 12:11 AM
i would like to print up said thing, where might i find it

and yes, hes one of those soon-to-be-police-brutality nut jobs, he openly used a choke hold on a friend who disagreed with him, almost passed out.

anyway, i am not to keen on fancy terms and such, if "Norinco SKS" is fancy for Russian SKS then yeah. i don't want to add anything to it. just make jokes about how no one has died of a bayonet wound sense the civil war

oaklander
04-27-2008, 12:18 AM
Bayo's are fine - the Norinco SKS is Chinese, not Russian.

i would like to print up said thing, where might i find it

and yes, hes one of those soon-to-be-police-brutality nut jobs, he openly used a choke hold on a friend who disagreed with him, almost passed out.

anyway, i am not to keen on fancy terms and such, if "Norinco SKS" is fancy for Russian SKS then yeah. i don't want to add anything to it. just make jokes about how no one has died of a bayonet wound sense the civil war

tophatjones
04-27-2008, 12:22 AM

I know he's your friend, but honestly you need to do something about him. We DONT need a cop who has issues like this.

Sabah_Alev
04-27-2008, 12:22 AM
groovie, I'll keep that in mind.

better yet, what are the reasons the the sks i want is legal, i want to have a way to tell his moron otherwise

tophatjones
04-27-2008, 12:26 AM
As far as I know, there is no law against having a bayonet on an otherwise legally configured sks. The burden of proof is on him. Ask him to show you the penal code he is referencing. Perhaps he is confusing the expired Federal Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 with an evil feature of Ca law? However, even if the lug were an evil feature, the sks doesn't have a detachable magazine, so you'd still be fine.

As for your friend, does he have anger management issues?

vega
04-27-2008, 12:29 AM

Since he is your friend and you know him well, I hope he doesn't pass the test. As mentioned above, we do not need cop like him.

Harrison_Bergeron
04-27-2008, 12:29 AM
Linked to Flowchart in initial post.

A Russian SKS is legal because it is not the Chinese Norinco with a detachable magazine, which is the only listed SKS. Harrot v. King's County ruled than only the guns specifically listed could be banned, so yours saying "SKS" is not enough, it would have to say Norinco, and have a detachable mag. This is all based on you saying you do not want to make any modifications, if you want to modify it, then you have to comply with SB23.

Linh
04-27-2008, 2:15 AM
I'm horribly bad at remembering laws,

however i ran into a problem, i have a head strong friend whos going to be a cop, very soon, and he keeps telling me that they are illegal, and he will shoot me if he pulls me over.

I hope he is joking but from what you posted it sound like he is serious. One of those shoot first ask questions later. Since it's legal I doubt you'll be able to prove it to him. He'll report you or arrest you and even though it's legal, attorney fees are expensive.

Hope you were joking and if not then be careful.

Stormfeather
04-27-2008, 2:37 AM
theres your answer by many of the esteemed members here. plus a little something extra to chew on and think about. With friends like this, you dont need enemies.

RedDawn
04-27-2008, 9:19 AM
How on earth did he pass the psychological evaluation?
I know a couple of good guys that failed that portion of the process. One was tired of the California humbug and relocated to Arizona where he serves as LE. The other just simply went into the mortage and loan business and is making better money.

aplinker
04-27-2008, 3:25 PM
Since it doesn't like anyone linked it, the flowchart is here:
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

SKS are fun rifles. Consider your other options, as well - AKs, ARs, etc...

How on earth did he pass the psychological evaluation?
I know a couple of good guys that failed that portion of the process. One was tired of the California humbug and relocated to Arizona where he serves as LE. The other just simply went into the mortage and loan business and is making better money.

That's not what's surprising - it's how he passed the background. If this guy is his good friend he would've been a part of the background screening (or at least ONE of the people who witnessed the incident). It's their responsibility to say yes when the PD asks, "Is there anything about the candidate that would cause you to be concerned about their suitability as a police officer?" :mad:

Sabah_Alev
05-01-2008, 11:46 PM
i have though of other options, but my plan is to move to a more firearm loving state, the look of an AK without the pistol grip is just sad, and i don't want to be dancing around the vague gun laws.

aplinker
05-02-2008, 12:31 AM
I think this looks pretty damned beautiful:

https://vip.megaproxy.com/go/http://monstermangrip.com/images/mmgwood03.jpg