PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing a scope

a1fabweld
04-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Hey friends! I need some education on rifle scopes. I'm looking for the best bang for the buck. Nightforce, high end Leupold & some of the rich guy scopes are not for me. But at the same time I don't want a Chineese P.O.S. either. This is mainly for target practice. One will be mounted on an M1A & the other on an AR. How's Bushnell scopes? I don't want to spend more then about $300 if I don't have to. Thanks!

FlyingPen
04-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Went through the same thing recently.

I ended up picking up a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x Mildot upon the recommendations of several Calgunners as it seems to be a solid scope for the money. I got quite a deal on it for $185 shipped with TPS rings on ARCOM. I think you'll find similar deals like that as well. This is for a 308 Remmy 700. The Super Sniper and Falcon menace scopes seem to be well regarded in this price bracket as well.

Are you planning to mount a CQB or magnified optic on your AR? Trijcon Accupoint and some other ~$500 magnified optics seem well recommended or you could go with a Eotech/Aimpoint with magnifier although IMO it looks kind of bulky and fragile. I got a 1.5-5x 30mm Falcon Menace for this. It seems the Weaver Classic V3 is also well regarded and it's only $150.

a1fabweld
04-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Flyingpen, I have a brand new Bushnell #73-6184 (6-18x40) I picked up for $100 a while back. A rich friend of mine told me to buy Leupold at the very least. He buys the best of everything though, weather he needs it or not just because he can. I have several AR's in the works currently. One is getting a scope, one an Aimpoint & one just sights.

FlyingPen
04-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Millet DMS-1 also fits in your price range.

FMJBT
04-27-2008, 12:05 AM
+1 for the Bushnell Elite 3200 10X mildot. Rugged, simple, repeatable, and has pretty good glass. For the price, it's pretty hard to beat. If I were going to pick a budget scope to stick on a rifle that was going to be drug through rocks, dirt, and mud, the Bushnell would be it.

I know you said you didn't want a Chinese scope, but I thought I'd throw the Leaper's SWAT scopes out there anyway:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=414008&t=11082005

I have the 3-12X and 4-16X illuminated versions of this scope, and they are both awesome deals. For durability, I think the Bushnell is better, but these have a lot of features that I sometimes find myself wishing for on the Bushnell. (Side parallax adjust, locking target turrets, 30mm tube) I've compared them against a few other brands made in China like NC Star, Famous Maker, Barska, etc. and the Leapers scopes have the best glass out of the bunch.

RobT2K
04-28-2008, 8:05 AM
Told the last guy that asked the same thing:
Get the rebadged Nikon Monarch line for $199 (http://www.swfa.com/pc-9244-2119-nikon-3-9x40-team-primos-riflescope.aspx)
I want to put one on my next rifle, but if I keep mentioning them, they probably won't be around!

Timberwolf
04-28-2008, 8:22 AM
For what you want get either the Bushnell 10X40 or the Super Sniper. Of the two the Super Sniper is the strongest and best bang for your buck. Stay away from the cheaper imports - an AR and/or M1A's impact on a scope are different than on a bolt gun because of the movement of the bolt. That said you need a scope that can withstand the backward/forward motion exerted during recoil in these weapons and I've seen alot of the cheaper imports go tits up on these rifles after a couple to a few hundred rounds.

Greenspartan117
04-28-2008, 8:36 AM
How about a Burris XTR scope? They are made in the states too! also they feature there "Forever Warranty"

I would get one if they offered it in Mil reticle/Mil Turrets :-)

http://www.burrisoptics.com/xtrtactical.html

I'm getting a Leupold Mark 4 because they offer a mil/mil set up on their model 61990. I don't have the money for a SNO or a S&B :-(

rksimple
04-28-2008, 8:39 AM
If you want more versatility than a fixed 10x offeres, check the falcon menace scopes. Also look at the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14. Great scope for the money. For a reliable, rugged, inexpensive 10x, go with the Bushnell 3200 10x mildot.

Jicko
04-28-2008, 8:39 AM
Flyingpen, I have a brand new Bushnell #73-6184 (6-18x40) I picked up for $100 a while back. A rich friend of mine told me to buy Leupold at the very least. He buys the best of everything though, weather he needs it or not just because he can. I have several AR's in the works currently. One is getting a scope, one an Aimpoint & one just sights.

Do you NEED mil-dot? If not, a duplex reticle leupold VX2 is about $300. Same good glass. You just don't have the mil-dot or the finger adjustable target knobs.

$299
http://www.swfa.com/pc-3460-86-leupold-3-9x40-vx-ii-riflescope.aspx

Here is a USMC GREEN special edition too $299
http://www.swfa.com/pc-12571-86-leupold-3-9x40-vx-ii-riflescope.aspx

If GLASS is all you care, the above "glass" quality can compare side-by-side with $1000 scopes. (I've one of these, and I've a $1000+ Mk4, the glass is really comparable!!!!)

rksimple
04-28-2008, 9:13 AM
If GLASS is all you care, the above "glass" quality can compare side-by-side with $1000 scopes. (I've one of these, and I've a $1000+ Mk4, the glass is really comparable!!!!)

That doesn't say much for the mk4.:eek:

To the OP: As far as the mildot reticle goes, you will want one eventually, if you ever begin to really use your rifle. Just get it to begin with.

Cypriss32
04-28-2008, 1:40 PM
I think something is wrong. I have a VX-2 hunting scope and it is NOT as good as my Premier Mark4......
And that is not nearly as good as my NSX.

Gnome
04-28-2008, 1:56 PM
Told the last guy that asked the same thing:
Get the rebadged Nikon Monarch line for $199 (http://www.swfa.com/pc-9244-2119-nikon-3-9x40-team-primos-riflescope.aspx)
I want to put one on my next rifle, but if I keep mentioning them, they probably won't be around!

Yup, that's what he told me. I wanted a Scope for my Mini that didn't break the bank. Thanks, for the great suggestion Rob. TP Tube en route.:cheers2:

maxicon
04-28-2008, 4:14 PM
Mk4 glass is the same as VX-III, which has better coatings than VX-II. The newer, less expensive Mk2 line uses VX-II glass in Mk4 grade bodies.

VX-I and Rifleman are another step down in glass/coating quality, but are still pretty good, IMO. I have several.

jacques
04-28-2008, 4:57 PM
I just bought a Mueller Tac II from riflegear.com and it is very nice and did not break the bank.

bodiebill
04-30-2008, 2:26 PM
Just mounted a Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5x10 x 42mm.
Outstanding optics at mid-range price.
Used the Burris ultra high tactical rings---much more reasonable than other "tactical rings". The ring height is a very personal fit---I am 6' tall with 35" reach so I needed the tallest rings. The original high rings were just a tad to low for me.