PDA

View Full Version : To build or not to build...dun dun dun

Eagle87Tango
04-26-2008, 9:15 PM
Well, haven't posted on here in a while. I've been talking with a friend of mine here at work and he tells me almost everyday that I need to build an AR. "Quick, before they're all f***in' banned man!" I've almost no experience with AR's at all. My experience with using and familiarity of operations includes bolt actions, and handguns. AR's are pretty new to me.
I have a few questions if you guys don't mind answering:

How difficult is it to "build" an AR?

I'm concerned with the cost. Like with bolt action rifles, is it possible to have a cheap yet superior AR?

Do they ALL look like AR-15s/AKs? (Those two aren't exactly my favorite rifles)

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I know it reeks of newb but please, be gentle.

E87T

tophatjones
04-26-2008, 9:27 PM
The Ca DOJ has lost the ability to add new ars and aks to the list as per AB2728. OLLs are here to stay unless new legislation is passed either at state or federal level.

Building an Ar is easy if you're assembling the lower and slapping on a pre-assembled upper. It is slightly more difficult to assemble your own upper but it isn't out of reach of most hobbyists. The ak is more difficult to assemble, but isn't out of reach either.

Yes, you can build a good Ar for less, but you have to be patient and buy good quality parts that are discounted. If you buy cheap parts, you may get some that are out of spec or of questionable strength and assembly.

"Do they all look like ar15s/aks?" Short answer is yes. But you can always find exceptions. For example, there are varmint rigs for the ar that have been real tree camoed. (This isn't my cup of tea, however.)

Check out this thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56818

And welcome to the world of BRD!

Eagle87Tango
04-26-2008, 9:34 PM
Ah, many thanks for your response. I'm glad to hear, and I'm sure my friend will be also, that there won't be any new bans coming any time soon. I considered just going out and buying a pre-assembled rifle but my buddy says it would do me a world better to learn it by assembling it myself.

Here's another quick question, I've always been a fan of the bull-pup design, are there any builds that use it at all?

weezil_boi
04-26-2008, 9:45 PM
Start with an AR. Building is easy, and will force you to learn about the rifle. You will save a little money... maybe $200 or so.

Warning!!!! You will start spending thousands of dollars... right after you squeeze that trigger for the first time :)

OutlawDon
04-26-2008, 9:51 PM
Do they ALL look like AR-15s/AKs? (Those two aren't exactly my favorite rifles)

These are some of the nearly infinite versions of the AR15 platforms. Do they look the same to you?

http://www.dogfightink.com/m203.jpg

http://www.dogfightink.com/SPR.jpg

http://www.dogfightink.com/m16a3.jpg

http://www.dogfightink.com/CQB.jpg

http://www.dogfightink.com/ASM.jpg

http://www.dogfightink.com/M16.jpg

Eagle87Tango
04-26-2008, 9:54 PM
Well, at the moment I'm saving up my cash to buy this pretty $2000 dollar 46" LCD HDTV I saw at best-buy today. But an AR of some kind is definitely high on my list. It may come after a pair of pistols though. I want me and my fiance to have a couple of handguns for protection. I sure wouldn't want to have to pop a home invader with my .300 win mag as it would certainly blow through a couple of walls.

Eagle87Tango
04-26-2008, 9:56 PM
Well, Don, in all honesty yeah, they do. While some of them have different attachments and foregrips/rails, they're all fundamentally the same rifle, at least by outside appearances, and I'm all about being unique. Though you won't see me being pink rifles unique any time soon lol.

OutlawDon
04-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Well, Don, in all honesty yeah, they do. While some of them have different attachments and foregrips/rails, they're all fundamentally the same rifle, at least by outside appearances, and I'm all about being unique. Though you won't see me being pink rifles unique any time soon lol.

Well, they all have the same internal mechanisms and upper and lower receivers, but after that, it's all up to you to choose. I don't know of any other weapon system that's more versatile and can be customized as much. If you want something different though, check out some of the other CA legal rifles here then.

And btw, we both have the same Sigmund Freud quote in our signatures! haha

http://www.lanworldinc.com/Rifle.html

tophatjones
04-26-2008, 10:35 PM
What physical characteristic of the ar or ak is homely to you?

Eagle87Tango
04-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Well, it's not that I find them homely, it's just that I find them in great numbers. I see so many of them here on the forum, I just want something different. For instance, I saw someone had posted a pic of their SIG 556 TriRail. Another person had an MP5 clone photo posted. That's what I'm interested in having.

tophatjones
04-26-2008, 10:46 PM
I see. There are many, many possibilities out there for the ar . I think if you look enough, you'll find something you like.

Eagle87Tango
04-26-2008, 10:49 PM
So, if I wanted to build something other than an AR-15 or AK would I do it the same way? Just buy the parts and put it together, or are there some that I'm only going to find pre-assembled? (See previously mentioned firearms)

tophatjones
04-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Ars, Aks, and Fals are going to be the easiest to build. However, you can get other rifles that are off list. I think eventually you'll see more of these rifles on Ca store shelves, but for now, the following is the typical way to get one. You will need to 1) purchase it from a vendor who is "in the know" and already has removed evil features/ fixed a magazine, or 2) purchase it from any ol vendor and arrange to have it sent to a third party who can remove evil features/ fix a magazine. Then, either the vendor in 1) or the third party in 2) will send it to a Ca FFL who is willing to accept the transfer (FUD has scared some away). Sometimes the vendor in 1) can act as the third party in 2). I hope this isn't too confusing.

Eagle87Tango
04-26-2008, 11:06 PM
It's not confusing, but damn if it isn't rediculously annoying. I need to find a job good enough to get me to move out of california.

tophatjones
04-26-2008, 11:17 PM
I hear you. :(

Btw, if you're lucky, you can get any of the aforementioned rifles via PPT. If you get them this way, make sure they are configured properly.

Eagle87Tango
04-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Ah, good point. I've seen a lot of great deals on guns here on the marketplace forum but, I'm weary unfamiliar territory. The only thing I've done is bought a gun from a store. There are a lot of deals I didn't jump on just because I'm unfamiliar with the process of buying firearms on a forum.

tophatjones
04-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Well, if you see a good deal, don't let that put you off. The main thing is to make sure the deal and the seller is legit. Then figure out if you two can meet face to face, if you're getting a firearm. If you can, it'll be easy. Just find a dealer who's willing to do the transfer (it'll be no more than $25 DROS fees plus $10), and meet your seller at the store. Just make sure that the dealer knows it's a PPT, so he won't overcharge you.

If it turns out the seller lives far away, he can send it to your FFL who's willing to do the transfer. Unfortunately, if this is the case, the FFL can charge anything on top of the $25 DROS.

Eagle87Tango
04-26-2008, 11:37 PM
So let's say that someone on the boards who lives up in northern cal wants to do a ppt only in his area, does that mean I have to drive up to do the transfer, then drive back again in ten days?

tophatjones
04-26-2008, 11:39 PM
So let's say that someone on the boards who lives up in northern cal wants to do a ppt only in his area, does that mean I have to drive up to do the transfer, then drive back again in ten days?

Yes. If you cannot work something else out or if it isn't legal to ship, then you must drive up to his area.

Eagle87Tango
04-26-2008, 11:46 PM
Hey tophat,

Thanks a lot for sticking around my thread and answering my questions, you're help is appreciated.

++1 to you.

tophatjones
04-26-2008, 11:48 PM
No problem, people have helped me when I was new to these, I guess I'm just passing it on. :)