PDA

View Full Version : OC indoor rifle range

NiteQwill
04-26-2008, 7:44 PM
Anyone know of a place?

On-Target wants $20 + a formal class on Sundays-only to shoot.

I just want to zero the rifle before heading out to Burro next weekend.

BP88
04-26-2008, 7:46 PM
I'm the same exact boat as you, dude. I just took my Aimpoint out for the first time today at Burro Canyon and I couldn't zero it. They are opening a new range for rifle AND pistols soon and the closest range will be 25 yards.

NiteQwill
04-26-2008, 7:50 PM
I should add... I mean centerfire rifle with .223 ammo.

BP88
04-26-2008, 7:52 PM
Like I said... same boat... I'm shooting .223 as well. I do not believe there is any other indoor range in the OC area that will allow .223.

Prc329
04-26-2008, 7:55 PM
I used to test and zero at on target but to many idiots were shooting up the tiles and pillars. So they added that certification thingy.

NiteQwill
04-26-2008, 8:04 PM
I used to test and zero at on target but to many idiots were shooting up the tiles and pillars. So they added that certification thingy.

:eek: Any idea how long the class lasts? The hospital is the black hole in my life disallowing any free-time... :mad:

Harrison_Bergeron
04-26-2008, 8:27 PM
:eek: Any idea how long the class lasts? The hospital is the black hole in my life disallowing any free-time... :mad:

There are threads on it, IIRC it is less than an hour if you are proficient, and military and/or LE is exempt.

U2BassAce
04-26-2008, 9:05 PM

An hour. They teach you to not shoot the ceiling and endanger the people driving down the 5 freeway. They had a hole shot through the roof. That is what caused the class to be required. Listen to 20 minute lecture. Show you can shoot IIRC 3 shots at target and not into ceiling and you are good to go.

NiteQwill
04-26-2008, 9:16 PM
There are threads on it, IIRC it is less than an hour if you are proficient, and military and/or LE is exempt.

Military exempt? Meaning, the class is not necessary if currently active?

That would be freaking awesome if true.

Harrison_Bergeron
04-26-2008, 9:23 PM
Pretty sure, it was in one of the first threads I read on CalGuns, turned into a debate on military training to civilian training, may have been LEO training to military training, I will try to find it.

Found the thread, as of 12/28/07 it was just active duty USMC that was exempted from the lecture.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=79703&highlight=%22On-target%22&page=4

Anyone know why there is nothing on there site about rifles or the class?

NiteQwill
04-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Pretty sure, it was in one of the first threads I read on CalGuns, turned into a debate on military training to civilian training, may have been LEO training to military training, I will try to find it.

Found the thread, as of 12/28/07 it was just active duty USMC that was exempted from the lecture.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=79703&highlight=%22On-target%22&page=4

Anyone know why there is nothing on there site about rifles or the class?

That makes no sense... Only active duty USMC? No Army in there? :rolleyes: I've put tens of thousands of rounds down a barrel in all shapes and sizes. I guess I will call tomorrow to verify.

ty423
04-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Can one person have it and bring a friend and let friend shoot centerfire rifle?

WilsonCQB
04-27-2008, 6:47 AM
Can one person have it and bring a friend and let friend shoot centerfire rifle?

I was told that anyone that wants to shoot a rifle must have the "rifle permit" (completed the class) no exceptions. I'm a member at On-Target and have the "rifle permit". I brought a friend to shoot rifles with me one day and he was denied shooting (rifles).

inda_bebe
04-27-2008, 2:11 PM

which hospital you working at?

mehfisto
04-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Just go down to Oceanside and shoot at Iron Sights. Maybe 30-40 minutes past On Target. They don't require any certification. Only restriction I know of there is no ferrous (iron) ammo, and no Wolf.

I've shot 7.62x54R, .223, all kinds of 12ga, etc there no problem.

Nice folks too, and really cheap reload compared to On Target.

1911su16b870
04-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Regarding zeroing your new rifle before you go out to the range, I really like this item:
http://www.aimshot.com/boresight.php

Only drag is you have to buy the correct cartrige adapter for your rifle.

wearemisled
04-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Just go down to Oceanside and shoot at Iron Sights. Maybe 30-40 minutes past On Target. They don't require any certification. Only restriction I know of there is no ferrous (iron) ammo, and no Wolf.

I've shot 7.62x54R, .223, all kinds of 12ga, etc there no problem.

Nice folks too, and really cheap reload compared to On Target.

Absolutely, Iron Sights is a great range compared to On Target. They don't have any rapid fire rule either.

I live five mins. from On target and I still drive the extra 30 mins. to Iron Sights because it's so much better.