PDA

View Full Version : Single shot AR Qs

RP1911
04-26-2008, 5:32 PM
I finished putting Armalite lower parts kit on a DPMS single shot AR lower (marked .223). Lower has no magwell and there is a plastic spacer where the magazine would have been.

Is their a way to put something like a .50 DTC upper on this?

C.G.
04-26-2008, 5:38 PM
Sure. .338 LM, 408 CT, .416 Barret or .510.

This one did a nice job on my .338 LM, but has other chamberings, scroll down the page.
http://www.ferret50.com/ordering.html

RP1911
04-26-2008, 5:49 PM
Thanks for the link.

CSACANNONEER
04-26-2008, 7:28 PM
Threre's nothing wrong with Ferret50s. As a matter of fact, if ALS wasn't making uppers, I'd own a Ferret. But, before you buy a 50, check out Advanced Longrange Systems. It's just another option for you to look at. Personally, I have an ALS but, again, Ferrets are fine uppers. I consider the owners of both companies friends and therefore, I it's hard to recommend one over the other.

jamesob
04-26-2008, 10:33 PM
safetyharbor, ultralite 50. als, ferret and a few others. i like the fact safety harbors has a detachable mag. no single round loading.

savageevo
04-26-2008, 11:58 PM
check out this link. the uppers are real affordable. I think if you do get one of these uppers you may have to drill a hole where the magwell is located. check out there forum about the hole location.

www.bohicaarms.com

CSACANNONEER
04-27-2008, 12:29 AM
safetyharbor, ultralite 50. als, ferret and a few others. i like the fact safety harbors has a detachable mag. no single round loading.

Although it would seem like a nice feature, if you go this route and use the mag, you limit yourself to ammo that will fit in the mag. More than likely, good quality "match" ammo fit to your gun's chamber for the best accuracy won't fit in the mag. So, you're back to using it as a single shot. I do like the fact that safetyharbors guns are lite enough to shoot off-hand.

RP1911
04-27-2008, 11:01 AM
My lower is a DPMS single shot. No magwell. But a spacer block screwed to the flat spot where the magazine would feed from. So drilling holes or detachable magazines are not an option for me.

bohoki
04-27-2008, 11:33 AM
you got to get rid of the nylon sled if you are going to use a bmg upper

i also had to remove the bolt stop

i wonder why when they made the single shot lower they didnt drill a spring hole under the bolt stop to have its default position up

so bang it locks back drop in a round hit the release

i mean why not have it lock back every time if you only have one shot

C.G.
04-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Although it would seem like a nice feature, if you go this route and use the mag, you limit yourself to ammo that will fit in the mag. More than likely, good quality "match" ammo fit to your gun's chamber for the best accuracy won't fit in the mag. So, you're back to using it as a single shot.

+1. Also, some people believe that no magwell makes a more accurate weapon (not sure if I really want to believe that, but there may be something to that).

CSACANNONEER
04-27-2008, 2:10 PM
+1. Also, some people believe that no magwell makes a more accurate weapon (not sure if I really want to believe that, but there may be something to that).

No mag well makes a more rigid action which most people believe helps with accurracy.