PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 FTE problems

justincredible
04-26-2008, 12:05 PM
what would cause this to happen to a brand new never fired before rifle. I did some checking and this one isn't just an isolated case. The ammo is federal 36 gr. hollow point bulk pack from wallymart. Thanks

jlmurphy
04-26-2008, 12:19 PM
The extractor is not fully hooking the case rim. Check for build up in the extractor groove in the barrel, or build up beneath the extractor hook where the spring rests. If it hooks up, but doesn't fully extract, the chamber may be dirty.

justincredible
04-26-2008, 12:35 PM
i'll check it out thanks, man i love this site theres answers to all my questions in minutes! thanks jlmurphy

gcvt
04-26-2008, 12:44 PM
I was shooting a brand new 10/22 on Wednesday with the same exact ammo and had a couple of FTE over the course of 150-200 rounds. I disassembled and cleaned the gun before heading to the range so I know it was fine. Sometimes, 10/22's just take a few hundred rounds to break in IMO...assuming there's nothing else wrong with the gun.

IceMan71181
04-26-2008, 1:14 PM
The last two 10/22's that I bought would not run reliably, and FTE like crazy. I'm sure others will back me up when I say go for the VQ exact edge extractor and your problems will disappear. It's a simple drop in and cheap.

justincredible
04-26-2008, 2:41 PM
i'll have to check that VQ extractor out thanks.

nic
04-26-2008, 2:42 PM
Try some different ammo brands. 22s can be really finicky...
If different ammo produces FTE, then I second the idea of the VQ exact edge extractor. My extractor got worn out and the Volquartsen fixed it. Shoots perfectly now.
-Nic

larryb
04-26-2008, 2:46 PM
Add the VQ extractor and all will be good. I changed out both of mine and can shoot any walmart ammo i please :)

ViPER395
04-26-2008, 4:54 PM
Clean it good, make sure the ejector on the trigger guard is facing forward. It freely rotates on a pin near the top of the TG when removed from the receiver.

Make sure the extractor is functioning correctly.

A Volquartsen extractor is a cheap and easy upgrade. Much better than stock. Use the factory spring, unless your is messed up. I recommend against using the spring supplied by VQ.

Try a different mag. I think part of the magazine lip serves as the primary ejector.

ETA: Run two bricks through it and then check back.

bohoki
04-26-2008, 4:56 PM
i prefer the remington goldenhp loose brick but right now i think its an extra $2 a brick

as to the mag being the ejector is only true if you use a ramline magazine

so a secret if you are having a failure to eject from the port try a ramline mag if it is failing to leave the chamber then its the extractor hook make sure it moves freely with finger pressure

butler creeks depend on the metal finger on the ruger

vega
04-26-2008, 7:48 PM
I was shooting a brand new 10/22 on Wednesday with the same exact ammo and had a couple of FTE over the course of 150-200 rounds. I disassembled and cleaned the gun before heading to the range so I know it was fine. Sometimes, 10/22's just take a few hundred rounds to break in IMO...assuming there's nothing else wrong with the gun.
I run the same exact ammo when I still have my 10-22 and no problem at all. Yes, it could be the extractor.

Toolbox X
04-26-2008, 9:15 PM
A warning about the VQ extractor.

The VQ extracter is awesome, but only if you use factory 10rd mags!!!

If you plan to use any Butler Creek mags you will have problems. The lips of the BC mags are in a slightly different location than the factory Rugar 10rd rotary mag. This makes the rounds run directly into the very sharp corner of the VQ extractor and they will get stuck there.

Just FYI.

bigsipper
04-26-2008, 9:16 PM
FTE on some 22's are just normal. When I first had my AK-22 11 yrs ago, it would FTE ( case gets caught by the bolt/slide0every other 3 rounds for the first 50 rounds. Later on, it got better. Now, it depends on the ammo. I use cheap federal from Wally world and it would FTE maybe 1 in 30 rounds.

I run the same exact ammo when I still have my 10-22 and no problem at all. Yes, it could be the extractor.

tonelar
04-26-2008, 9:23 PM
Mine likes the hot lip butler creek mags

Also, I run mini-mags to break in most .22s