PDA

View Full Version : Safe Affidavit

boltstop
04-26-2008, 12:04 PM
", filling out the safe affadivit gives Ca. DOJ permission to inspect your home to see that you really have a safe, at any time without notice."

I saw this on another forum (the M14 forum). Is this correct? Anyone know for sure.

E Pluribus Unum
04-26-2008, 12:20 PM
", filling out the safe affadivit gives Ca. DOJ permission to inspect your home to see that you really have a safe, at any time without notice."

I saw this on another forum (the M14 forum). Is this correct? Anyone know for sure.

FUD.... BS... not true...

Being ignorant gives the government the ability to victimize you.

hoffmang
04-26-2008, 12:24 PM
:fud:

The form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/gsaff.pdf) only has you swear you own a conforming safe. DOJ can't make you waive your 4th Amendment rights.

-Gene

Fate
04-26-2008, 1:43 PM
Eff...You...Dee spells :krkplk: :D

jamesob
04-26-2008, 1:46 PM
not true. here is what i think it will be eventually used for, a lawsuit against you. i think that if someone has their firearm stolen out of your safe and it is used in a crime and that gun is recovered, it will come back to you in a lawsuit. if you signed an affidavit saying your safe meets the standard and it really doesn't you just commited purgery? its just a legal hold they have you on with your signature on a document. but thats just my thoughts on it.

boltstop
04-26-2008, 2:51 PM
I have a safe - and it is CA DOJ compliant - I made certain of that. No problem there.

I was just concerned about the "inspection". I was concerned that I had signed up for random inspections of my home. Thanks guys.

bwiese
04-26-2008, 2:56 PM
- You do not sign away your riights.

- You should complete the form to the best of your knowledge (penalty of perjury).

- 'jamesob' is way off base; if the safe is sold/marketed as a conforming container that's good enough. You don't have to be a safe expert and do your own RSC test on it.

jamesob
04-26-2008, 4:02 PM
not all safes where purchased after this silly law. so if you sign it saying that it meets the requirments and it doesn't what would happen? and not all safes come with documents saying that it meets the terms so your just gambling on the sellers word. and im not that far off base. why else would they have you sign your name on it? its got to have some legal recoarse if violated. i just spend the extra few dollars and buy the lock, no need to put my name on anything.

tyrist
04-26-2008, 5:44 PM
Just means after a child harms themselves with your gun, you also get the additional charge of purjury.

eta34
04-26-2008, 8:18 PM
FUD.... BS... not true...

Being ignorant gives the government the ability to victimize you.

Wrong. Not only do we get to crack open your safe, we get to inspect your anal cavity as well. All without a warrant! I love my job.

E Pluribus Unum
04-26-2008, 8:42 PM
Just means after a child harms themselves with your gun, you also get the additional charge of purjury.

Not necessarily ....

I buy a gun safe....

I buy a gun....

I fill out an affidavit stating I own a gun safe....

I sell the gun safe but I keep the gun....

No law has been broken.

Its moot really... my new Remington 870 came with a california approved locking device... I would guess this will be the norm in years to come.

Heatseeker
04-26-2008, 9:03 PM
Wrong. Not only do we get to crack open your safe, we get to inspect your anal cavity as well. All without a warrant! I love my job.

You're a sick man :eek: !

Diablo
04-27-2008, 7:57 AM

:useless::rofl:

mecam
04-27-2008, 8:18 PM

Must be from the Sheriff Department. :D

ShooterMcGavin
04-27-2008, 9:30 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because in my limited searching I've done, I haven't been able to come up with a reference to back this, but I believe the CA Safe Affidavit is meaningless. It's good enough for the State, but recent Federal requirements supercede that and require a gun lock. I was told this by an FFL and have read some posts on other sites stating the same, but, again, I haven't been able to track down the actual info. Apparently, some FFLs have only been requiring the safe affidavit- I hope that doesn't put them in jeopardy with the Feds!

Librarian
04-27-2008, 9:37 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because in my limited searching I've done, I haven't been able to come up with a reference to back this, but I believe the CA Safe Affidavit is meaningless. It's good enough for the State, but recent Federal requirements supercede that and require a gun lock. I was told this by an FFL and have read some posts on other sites stating the same, but, again, I haven't been able to track down the actual info. Apparently, some FFLs have only been requiring the safe affidavit- I hope that doesn't put them in jeopardy with the Feds!
See this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=659169&postcount=16)

Summary: BATFE has not issued regs that allow safes to qualify for the Federal secure storage requirement of 18 USC 922(z), therefore the safe affidavit, while still satisfying California, cannot be shown to satisfy the Feds. When the BATFE issues regs, they should include safes, because the law does.

The Fed law covers only handguns, so the safe affidavit covers California long guns with no problem.