PDA

View Full Version : Discount Gun Mart wasted my gas

wksun88
04-26-2008, 12:00 PM
So I'm in the market for an upper and decide to call DGM this morning and ask if they had any uppers in stock, and the guy that answered the phone said "Yeah we actually have QUITE a few, but the best thing is for you to come in and check them out"
I go in an hour later and there's only 2 uppers in display. To make sure that wasn't all they had I asked an employee there and he said that was it.
A Stag 20inch midlength that was going for about 650 and a bushie carbine at 1040
Honestly, if I was running a business, I would not be wasting a customer's time and lying to them saying I have ****loads of uppers when in reality I only have two.
What gives.

FlyingPen
04-26-2008, 12:12 PM
In their mind, they have nothing to lose by having more foot traffic for a high priced item like an upper.

I don't really like DGM at all, I haven't found their service helpful or polite. I just get a phone quote and then shop it around to other stores like California Police Supply or American Shooting Center. I actually bought a Remmy 700 SPS-V from ASC today. Socal gun is also pretty good as well.

fireblast713
04-26-2008, 12:14 PM
maybe they had a lot of the same 2 uppers?

wksun88
04-26-2008, 12:47 PM
maybe they had a lot of the same 2 uppers?
nope, lol

FlyingPen
04-26-2008, 2:13 PM
Since we're talking about San Diego...

Anyone of any place in SD or OC that'll have Burris XTR 30mm rings? Can't find any local for the life of me. Called ASC, DGM, SocalGun, Turner's, and some of the dealers on Burris' site.

Fobjoe
04-26-2008, 3:24 PM
Always have had interesting experiences from DGM, my first few were not good. Interestingly, a while ago I spoke to an individual that works there. He told me how he hate ARs :eek: I went ahead and let him tell me why. He told me in his army experience he had an M16 for 3 days and got rid of it. He then continues to tell me that the plastic is made by Mattel. That did it for me. I already heard about this 40 year old myth. I just nodded my head, but really was thinking this guy didn't know what he was talking about, especially since he had it for only 3 days. Probably doing DGM a disservice by spreading false misinformation.

Another time I went with a friend who was looking for an SKS. He asked the man at the counter if they have one, to which the salesman responded, "That's illegal in California!" My friend and I looked at each other like he was some kind of idiot but my friend was kind enough to say, "I meant a normal one with a fixed mag." The salesman continues to say, "It doesn't matter. They're illegal." My buddy then scans the rifles on the rack behind the counter and says, "I see one there on the rack behind you." Sure enough, there it was. Again, a fair mistake but it poorly reflected the knowledge of DGM employees. Price was decent but my buddy waited a week and it was gone.

Despite my occasional negative experiences with them, I should still emphasize that they are one of few shops that carry OLL at all. The price is a tad high, but at least it gives people the option of going into a shop and taking care of it conveniently instead of dealing with online orders and FFLs.

Blue
04-26-2008, 3:27 PM
Kerley's did that to me a few weeks ago, I wasted like $6 in gas for a freakin $3.50 part they didn't have in stock after they told me they did.

Bongos
04-26-2008, 3:55 PM
if you want upper selection, check out Ammo Bros, it's an AR accessories dream store, lots of different type including weird stuff like POF and LMT uppers, also saw lots of AK's .. a PS90..a 556 a XCR .. A GSG-5.. I saw these just last month when I did a PPT there

USN CHIEF
04-26-2008, 4:05 PM
There is one particular employee that works there, he is kind of chubby white guy, he seems pretty clueless.. When I go there to buy a gun/rifle, I always get a guy by the name of Mark to help me.. Dude is pretty cool and seems to know his Chit. That was pretty bad what they did to the OP, but then again, maybe they did have a bunch of the same model Uppers... One other thing about DCGM.. ALWAYS ASK FOR A DISCOUNT, I always do and I always get one.. I don't buy their ammo because it's marked up pretty high along with any other accessories, but theiy do charge fair for their firearms...
Maybe ya'll need to call them and have them give me a part time job, I put an application in a couple months ago for a part time job and they did not call me.... I would give the best freaking customer service...

Jicko
04-26-2008, 8:51 PM
Since we're talking about San Diego...

Anyone of any place in SD or OC that'll have Burris XTR 30mm rings? Can't find any local for the life of me. Called ASC, DGM, SocalGun, Turner's, and some of the dealers on Burris' site.

Good luck.... i dun think so....

Precision Arms may have some Leupold... but I don't think u want them.

I think they MAY have some ARMS #22 tho... I was there last week... just CALL around... dun waste gas!

wizzbane
04-26-2008, 9:05 PM
what manufactures of oll do they have and what do they go for?

FlyingPen
04-26-2008, 9:13 PM
ARMS #22 tho... I was there last week... just CALL around... dun waste gas!

Yeah, I just got my Falcon Menace 1.5-5 in and want to mount it on the AR so bad. The only rings I have are 1".

I'm not sure when Outdoor Sportsman will be shipping my XTRs and BRM-S.

ZombieKiller
04-26-2008, 9:24 PM
what manufactures of oll do they have and what do they go for?

They carry Stag....I asked if I could get a Mega and they said that all they do is Stag due to liability reasons....I honestly have had good experiences at DGM. I always try to deal with them.....and they have treated me well.

But I am gonna get my Mega at CWS in Highland- they're around the corner from my father's house...

KTGunner
04-27-2008, 1:19 PM
There is one particular employee that works there, he is kind of chubby white guy, he seems pretty clueless..

Yeah, I went in looking for a ten round mag for my new AR. I made the horrible mistake of asking that guy if he knew where I might be able to get some 10/30 pinned or welded mags. He looked at me like I was crazy and said "I don't touch those because they are illegal!"

The older guy with the beard seems to know what's going on though.

1919_4_ME
04-27-2008, 1:34 PM
To save yourself alot of frustration you need to ask yourself what kind of upper do you need at 16,20 or??What type of shooting are you looking to do?Long range,plinking,target CQB etc etc?Also to view lots of different styles you can always go to Bushmaster,DPMS,Rock River and take a look so you learn which upper is best for you.Then will all that info your ready to call and ask dealers if they stock a specific upper that you are looking for.
This is a good method to get into cuase it will save alot of time with the dealer and yourself.:chris:

Linh
05-30-2008, 6:59 PM
Yeah, I went in looking for a ten round mag for my new AR. I made the horrible mistake of asking that guy if he knew where I might be able to get some 10/30 pinned or welded mags. He looked at me like I was crazy and said "I don't touch those because they are illegal!"

I think that guy was the one helping me out when I was purchasing a OLL though everyone appear chubby when compared to me.

I've only been to DGM so I firgured all gunstores in california were like that then a few days ago I went to do a firearm transfer at a different gunstore and wow very friendly service and it's only a few blocks away.

ZombieKiller
05-30-2008, 7:45 PM
They also carry another brand of lower there now- ... It has a nice anodized finish......Those dudes are cool and always treat me well.....I'll keep my business there...

big50_1
05-30-2008, 9:42 PM
I just put together an AR on a Sabre Defense OLL. The problem with San Diego gun shops is that having stuff you want is hit or miss. With the cost of gas being what it is (sheesh!), I find you can get most everything you want on the Internet, just takes a litle time. Calguns.net for info is awesome. Every time I ran into a stop on the build, I would lurk around Calguns for the info and inevitably find it.

AlphaDog
05-30-2008, 9:49 PM
I don't have these problems, no guns shops around me even carry anything remotely associated with the AR platform.
Forced to buy off the Internet and hope UPS and FED EX doesn't tool my packages which seems to happen with every rifle/accessory I buy.