PDA

View Full Version : So much for Dems being anti gun

bulgron
04-26-2008, 10:59 AM
I basically hate living in Santa Clara county, and not just because of the crappy CCW issuance policies around here. So I sometimes day dream by researching other counties in California to see what things would be like there.

Got to looking at Mendocino county.

Another internet site that concerns itself with California CCW issues has this to say about Mendocino county:

Sheriff Tom Allman, who will continue previous Sheriff Tony Craver's outstanding CCW policy. This is among the most pro-CCW counties in the state. If you live in Mendocino you have no excuse not to apply.

Interesting. From that, one would expect the county to be very conservative, with a poor Democratic presence.

Not so fast!

From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendocino_County,_California), I see:

Mendocino is a strongly Democratic county in Presidential and congressional elections.[2] The last Republican to win a majority in the county was Ronald Reagan in 1984. It is part of California's 1st congressional district, which is held by Democrat Mike Thompson. In the state legislature Mendocino is in the 1st Assembly district, which is held by Democrat Patty Berg, and the 2nd Senate district, which is held by Democrat Pat Wiggins.

In 2000, Mendocino County voters approved Measure G, which calls for the decriminalization of marijuana when used and cultivated for personal use.[3] Measure G passed with a 58% majority vote, making it the first county in the United States to declare prosecution of small-scale marijuana offenses the "lowest priority" for local law enforcement. Measure G does not protect individuals who cultivate, transport or possess marijuana for sale. However, Measure G was passed at the local government level affecting only Mendocino County, and therefore does not affect existing state or federal laws. (The city of Berkeley has had a similar law since 1979 which has generally been found to be unenforceable.[4])

In 2004, Measure H was passed in Mendocino County with a 57% majority, making it the first county in the United States to ban the production and cultivation of genetically modified organisms.

The California Secretary of State, as of April, 2008, report that Mendocino County has 47,168 registered voters. Of those, 22,264 (47.2%) are registered Democratic, 11,422 (24.2%) are registered Republican, 4,179 (8.9%) are registered with other political parties, and 9,303 (19.7%) declined to state a political party. Every city, town, and the unincorporated areas of Mendocino County have more registered Democrats than Republicans.

What's this? A heavily Democratic county that is flying in the face of the (failed) Federal War on Drugs, but which continually elects highly pro-CCW sheriffs into office?

I just may have to take a road trip.

Not that I'll ever get my wife to move. :mad:

But I sure would like to go up there someday and figure out how a liberal county manages to be pro-gun. Sounds good to me....

Fjold
04-26-2008, 11:07 AM
The state legislators and state senators have no influence in CCW issuance. The people's only input is limited as to who they vote in for Sheriff and I very much doubt that it was a campaign issue.

mymonkeyman
04-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Well that just goes to show you it's often more of a urban v. rural thing than a Democrat v. Republican thing.

E Pluribus Unum
04-26-2008, 1:22 PM
The state legislators and state senators have no influence in CCW issuance. The people's only input is limited as to who they vote in for Sheriff and I very much doubt that it was a campaign issue.

Not true in Kern County... :)

That's the first question asked of our Sheriff candidates! :)

I love it.

jtv3062
04-26-2008, 1:22 PM
I meet Mike Thompson. I don't know his voteing record, I do not live in his district. Alls I'll say is He uses some of the same tools we do.

CCWFacts
04-26-2008, 1:43 PM
I basically hate living in Santa Clara county, and not just because of the crappy CCW issuance policies around here. So I sometimes day dream by researching other counties in California to see what things would be like there.

Got to looking at Mendocino county.

Another internet site that concerns itself with California CCW issues has this to say about Mendocino county:

Interesting. From that, one would expect the county to be very conservative, with a poor Democratic presence.

Not so fast!

Their sheriff issues CCWs very easily, while their elected reps vote to ban guns and would vote against any CCW reform legislation.

It's part of the "divide and conquer" type situation we have going on in California, caused by our may-issue system. It's also caused by the fact that sheriff's races are minor non-partisan elections, and CCW practices are far under the radar of most voters and politicians.

And btw, yes, if I could somehow reconcile myself with the idea of living in a rural county, Mendo would be among my top picks. Northern California's coast is truly beautiful. But I can't; I need to live in LA.

Funny thing, I agree with a lot of Mendo's politics (although I would not vote for any politician who isn't solidly pro-gun-rights). It's hard for me to understand how busting people for cannabis use is productive in any way.

DedEye
04-26-2008, 3:37 PM
I meet Mike Thompson. I don't know his voteing record, I do not live in his district. Alls I'll say is He uses some of the same tools we do.

I used to intern for him. He's a great guy, war vet, and fairly Pro-2A (something like a B+/A- voting record from the NRA).

chris
04-26-2008, 4:38 PM
he's is one of a few and a very few. but thats great for those who live there. but in then if they are a demoKrat i distrust them immediately no questions asked!

good news on this area though.

Knight
04-26-2008, 4:49 PM
Humboldt County is the same way. Heck, the city that I live in has a Green-Party majority on its council. But the Sheriff will issue permits all day long, provided you aren't a *complete* nutjob.

Mike Thompson's my district. He's definitely pro-gun. :cool:

jtv3062
04-27-2008, 8:49 AM
DedEye did he ever told you how he got into politics? I think it started when he worked at a car dealership, and the mistreatment of some employees.

Pulsar
04-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Humboldt County is the same way. Heck, the city that I live in has a Green-Party majority on its council. But the Sheriff will issue permits all day long, provided you aren't a *complete* nutjob.

Mike Thompson's my district. He's definitely pro-gun. :cool:

Be honest with the people, Arcata is in it's own realm compaired to the rest of humboldt... hell it's in it's own realm compared to the rest of the world. ;)

Mike Thompson's a nice guy... Patty Berg on the other hand is a complete *****. I met her at a party about a year and a half ago, and I'm almost certain that she believes her **** doesn't stink, she is the living epitimy of the liberal elite snob.

Bah oh well, other than her and the meth addicts humboldt's doing damn good.