PDA

View Full Version : Would like feedback on my "n00b AR builder" thread

aplinker
04-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Hey guys,

I know it's long, but so many people ask the same questions, again and again, I get tons of PMs, so I thought I would write up a quick "my thoughts" on ARs that includes some of the general consensus...

Any feedback is appreciated. Feel free to disagree.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1165997#post1165997

FlyingPen
04-25-2008, 11:02 PM
This is a cool word "occluding".

Everything seems good so far, although I still think 14.5" LMT + Vortex is a sweet setup.

I would also add a recommendation about visiting gun shows because it's a lot different when you can see/feel/compare parts and uppers/lowers at the show.

Triggers: If you can afford to splurge, get the RRA 2-Stage (or Armalite NM 2-stage) trigger. It's a worthwhile upgrade and will greatly enhance your ability to shoot and enjoyment.

Recce reports that RRA 2 Stage has seen some failures under hard use, he recommendes the Gieselle (sp?).

Also, about 10/x+10 magazines, maybe add something about how the modifications must be permanent and would destroy the use of the magazine if it was attempted to reverse it.

aplinker
04-25-2008, 11:07 PM
I know he does, but the audience I'm writing to isn't "hard use" shooters.

It's the n00b who's building a "good" rifle, not top-tier.

RECCE is talking many thousands of rounds and a few failures. Keep in mind, of all the drop-ins, RRA outsells everyone probably about 10:1 COMBINED, so they're bound to have more failures.

I would agree with his conclusion, but would add "for the vast majority of users, the RRA will be just fine."

This is a cool word "occluding".

Everything seems good so far, although I still think 14.5" LMT + Vortex is a sweet setup.

I would also add a recommendation about visiting gun shows because it's a lot different when you can see/feel/compare parts and uppers/lowers at the show.

Recce reports that RRA 2 Stage has seen some failures under hard use, he recommendes the Gieselle (sp?).

Also, about 10/x+10 magazines, maybe add something about how the modifications must be permanent and would destroy the use of the magazine if it was attempted to reverse it.

Pvt. Cowboy
04-25-2008, 11:39 PM
I like your info.

Built my own for the first time over the last few months without much to go by and could have used that information you wrote.

I am not much of an AR guy, but I decided to build one anyway. I have a G5 light on it now with bicycle inner-tube holding the tape switch to the foregrip.

http://i32.tinypic.com/2pt1itd.jpg

Jicko
04-26-2008, 12:07 AM

KAC 2-stage is VERY good too. Also battle proven, they are the official ones that got installed on military's Mark 12 Mod 0/1 SPRs.

They are just hard to find, and hardly anyone have them in stock.

RECCE556
04-26-2008, 12:24 AM
The KAC are actually having some issues in the field according to reports I've heard from a few different sources (and these guys aren't weekend range shooters :) ). AMU is using the Geissele so that tells me somethin'. :)

UCLAplinker is right though, I mean if you have to a read a thread titled "So, you want to build an AR and you're a n00b?", the "hardest use" that AR is probably going to get is when they're trying to install the pivot pin detent or the roll pin for the bolt catch. :D

HOWEVER, since the Geissele's SSA's are priced at $150 vs. $120 for the RRA NM kit, even a n00b would be better off spending the extra $30 for a superior match trigger.

Also, before anyone recommends any other match trigger, I've seen or heard of practically every brand go tango uniform except the Geisseles under hard use. CMC, as a matter of fact, just had ANOTHER recall on their Drop-In Match Triggers because they were going full auto. Yeah, that sounds fun until you tossed in the clink...

If you don't use your rifles hard, don't worry about it. You can probably just send away for that $30 trigger job someone does and be done with it.

Also, just FYI, according to Geissele, it's pronounced GUY-ZELL...not JI-ZELL as in Gisele Bündchen). Please see the photos below for easy identification.

This is Geissele SSA (courtesy of Stickman at WEVO):
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa284/recce556/SSA_WEVOjpg.jpg

This is Gisele...as in Gisele Bündchen (and yes, I'd love to take her home for $150.)
http://images.askmen.com/galleries/model/gisele-bundchen/pictures/gisele-bundchen-picture-3.jpg

FlyingPen
04-26-2008, 12:29 AM
I can't seem to find the Geissele triggers anywhere for under $200 at Rainier, BravoCompany or Midway... source?

RECCE556
04-26-2008, 12:31 AM
And STRICTLY for ACADEMIC purposes, here's a couple more photos of Giesle, NOT Giessele.

http://www.fhmonline.com/images/cms/tn_tb_girls_100_sexiest_girls/4/Gisele-Bundchen.jpg

http://www.xomba.com/files/images/Gisele_Bundchen_20050731.jpg

RECCE556
04-26-2008, 12:32 AM
I can't seem to find the Geissele triggers anywhere for under $200 at Rainier, BravoCompany or Midway... source?
You're looking at the adjustable model which is $279 retail...the SSA are the non-adjustable and they're backordered to like oh, I don't know, 2012... :D

Actually, I have a batch coming in. PM me if you're interested. I can't guarantee a date but I'm in line. :)

aplinker
04-26-2008, 10:08 AM
They're good triggers, but I can't recommend something that's nearly impossible to get. It's for n00bs. They need the basics.

apbrian112
04-26-2008, 10:09 AM
nvm
-great thread and info as always... good job plinker.

aplinker
04-26-2008, 10:53 AM
nvm
-great thread and info as always... good job plinker.

Any suggestions/changes/additions? My goal is to reduce the questions we get all the time.

If there's a perspective people want added, please suggest.

FAQs tend to be more "n00b friendly" than searching.

apbrian112
04-26-2008, 11:06 AM
i just re-read it and can't offer any suggestions on changing it. you covered the basics needed for a 1st time build and that's what you were after. looks good to me... now if there was a way to auto-link that page to people upon registering on calguns would be awesome.
i hope the number of newb posts (and i'm talking about questions easily answered via a search) drops some but that probably won't happen. this just makes it easier to link new posters to most of the answers to questions that are frequently asked.

aplinker
04-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Anyone else have any feedback or suggestions?

viras
04-28-2008, 1:08 PM
I have a n00b question:

* If you're already in possession of a barrel, or interested in a particular barrel, how can you tell what twist ratio it has? Some websites don't list the twist ratio of their barrels (such as Spikes Tactical)...

Gnome
04-28-2008, 1:16 PM
Plinker,

I read through your thread a couple of days ago. I found it really informative. I don't own an AR yet, I bought the Mini first (remember, girls w/ crooked teeth).:) So, I can say that I am a NOOb at it's finest.

I thought the thread read well. It is good information, grouped well, without information overload. Well done.

The only thing that might help, would be a couple of pics. of the different parts thrown in. But I guess people could always SEARCH for pics. It's not that hard. Just my .02

MILLITIAof1
04-28-2008, 1:36 PM
You and your thread answered nearly all the questions that I could not figure out myself. The thread is great for begginners like myself.
You are a valuable asset to arming AR noobies:)

huck
04-28-2008, 2:24 PM
First of all, thanks for the great document. You have been extremely helpful to me personally - not only in the direct replies to my posts but the replies you’ve sent to so many others that I’ve read later on.

Since I’m one of the noobs you are targeting with this post, I thought I would supply some feedback.

1) A good practice in any technical document is to explain any acronym the first time you use it. So, when you say “The first big step is to purchase & DROS a good lower…” expand on the DROS acronym just this one time, “The first big step is to purchase & DROS (Dealer Record of Sale) a good lower…”

2) Regarding "02.) Upper type (flat-top or permanent A2 carry handle)", Can/should you expand on a preferred rail system? Are they all interchangeable? Picatinny? Tactical?

3) I have researched AR’s extensively – not only on this site, but other sites and even some books. I have heard "gas-blocks" mentioned all over the place, but they are still a mystery to me. I know they have some relationship to the front-site but I still don’t understand what function they perform. You may want to expand a little in the Front Site section on what it is.

4) Regarding Rear Sites, I would re-iterate the value of having a rail system here. You sort of do, by saying fixed sites are less flexible, but it’s not really enough to spell it out for a noob. Some shooters with rail systems switch from iron sites to scope, back-and-forth based on what kind of shooting they are doing, right?

5) How do handguards improve accuracy? That's a tough one for me to figure out.

That’s all I can see for now. Thanks, again.

USN CHIEF
04-28-2008, 2:30 PM
Plinker, I honestly cannot see anything missing. You definately covered all the bases. I would feel extremely confortable building an AR just by following the thread, it is very easy to understand and I love the step by step process.. Good Job..

aplinker
04-28-2008, 6:39 PM
Excellent comments... I'll be re-reading these and others to update it tonight.

Keep them coming, folks.

One quick thing - I'd meant (and thought I had) - included a link to the acronym thread. I did also assume that the reader had been through the 1st post in that thread, where it's also linked.

I agree with adding pictures and will likely do that, but probably not in the thread itself (would make it feel too long).

First of all, thanks for the great document. You have been extremely helpful to me personally - not only in the direct replies to my posts but the replies you’ve sent to so many others that I’ve read later on.

Since I’m one of the noobs you are targeting with this post, I thought I would supply some feedback.

1) A good practice in any technical document is to explain any acronym the first time you use it. So, when you say “The first big step is to purchase & DROS a good lower…” expand on the DROS acronym just this one time, “The first big step is to purchase & DROS (Dealer Record of Sale) a good lower…”

2) Regarding "02.) Upper type (flat-top or permanent A2 carry handle)", Can/should you expand on a preferred rail system? Are they all interchangeable? Picatinny? Tactical?

3) I have researched AR’s extensively – not only on this site, but other sites and even some books. I have heard "gas-blocks" mentioned all over the place, but they are still a mystery to me. I know they have some relationship to the front-site but I still don’t understand what function they perform. You may want to expand a little in the Front Site section on what it is.

4) Regarding Rear Sites, I would re-iterate the value of having a rail system here. You sort of do, by saying fixed sites are less flexible, but it’s not really enough to spell it out for a noob. Some shooters with rail systems switch from iron sites to scope, back-and-forth based on what kind of shooting they are doing, right?

5) How do handguards improve accuracy? That's a tough one for me to figure out.

That’s all I can see for now. Thanks, again.

eijjie33
04-28-2008, 7:35 PM
nicely done.
if you only had this up last month i would have not bug the members here for info on how to build my first ar.:D
although i'm very happy and thankful the members here are very helpful in so many ways to other fellow noobs like me.glad to be a member of calgun:jump:

trinydex
04-29-2008, 12:05 PM
does the magpul prs stock deserve mention in your faq?

i only ask because i'm thinking of one for my varminter build (you mention varminter builds in one sentence).

aplinker
04-29-2008, 12:53 PM
does the magpul prs stock deserve mention in your faq?

i only ask because i'm thinking of one for my varminter build (you mention varminter builds in one sentence).

The thread is tailored toward limited budget builders. The PRS is a pure luxury item - at $200++ and offering limited enhancements over an A2 stock. Sure, it's nice, but it's not something I'd recommend if someone were operating on the ~$1100 level.

apbrian112
04-29-2008, 1:00 PM
plus his guide is tailored toward "carbine" builds (14.5/14.7/16" builds) and most of those who build carbines don't throw a PRS on their builds. that and it's expensive...

trinydex
04-29-2008, 1:19 PM
The thread is tailored toward limited budget builders. The PRS is a pure luxury item - at $200++ and offering limited enhancements over an A2 stock. Sure, it's nice, but it's not something I'd recommend if someone were operating on the ~$1100 level.

is the ubr less expensive than the prs?

MURRIETA45
04-29-2008, 8:44 PM
From a noobs point of view you hit the nail on the head. Thanks for including it on my "parts" thread. My questions were answered. Now I just need to choose what brands to use.