PDA

View Full Version : Legal places to shoot in the Mojave?

mxpatriot51
04-25-2008, 5:31 PM
Looking for a legal place to head to the Mojave and shoot. I'll be coming from the Santa Clarita area, so closer is better.

Is anywhere (safe) on BLM land legal?

I'm not normally a desert shooter, but I'm taking some fellow ROTC cadets out and I don't want to make them all pay range fees.

I used to ride dirtbikes up at jawbone, but I really don't want to shoot there because of the number of dirtbikes and such. I'd much rather be somewhere a lot less populated.

fal_762x51
04-25-2008, 11:54 PM
14 north, 58 east to Barstow, exit Edwards Airforce Base Exit (the exit after the California City one).

Make a left once you get off the off-ramp (over the highway), hit the dirt road with a power transfer on the left hand side, go up a small hill.

Finally look to the left (north westish) you'll see a backstop and a hole bunch of shotgun shells. There should still be a BBQ there also.

This is where I use to shoot growing up the the AV. It's Kern County, not LA.

Casual Observer
04-26-2008, 9:39 AM
You can try stopping by the Kern County Sheriff's station in Mojave and ask the watch commander for info. He should be able to tell you where BLM land is and also places popular with dirt bike riders.

Mojave Substation
1771 Highway 58
Mojave, CA
(661) 824-7130
FAX (661) 824-9256

MILLITIAof1
04-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Jawbone canyon and dove springs. searc the names and you will see how to get there.
I have been shooting there for twice a month for 4 years.

Casual Observer
04-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Jawbone canyon and dove springs. searc the names and you will see how to get there.
I have been shooting there for twice a month for 4 years.

You might want to be careful in Jawbone canyon. I've been up there before and encountered motor bike riders. Nothing bad. You just have to keep an ear out for them coming. Let them pass and then get back to business.