PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take you to jump on the OLL bandwagon?

natedogg1777
04-25-2008, 4:23 PM
Remember the good ol' days when you JUST found out that you could have an AR in California? How long did you sit in disbelief before you actually took the plunge and acquired BRD?

EDIT: Let's throw this in there...how many other people do you know that now have ARs after you told them it was possible? I can think of about 4 off the top of my head.

shark92651
04-25-2008, 4:26 PM
I think it was about 20 minutes of reading on calguns to get a mild case, transferring in my first two lowers to get a full on infection, and firing my first build to become a carrier of the disease :D

ironcross
04-25-2008, 4:35 PM
Well I wanted one since 2001. The at the rise of the end of the AWB I was thinking maybe I could get one. But I wasnt 100% sure if it was legal. About 2 years ago I was at the gunstore and saw a AR15 on the wall, while looking at it. That it had the mag well welded shut. That didnt look too appealing. So I forgot about it. Then about a month ago I found this site, and long story short Im ordering my lower in a day or two.

Thanks for all the info Calguns.net!!

DedEye
04-25-2008, 4:36 PM
A couple hours of reading.

Fjold
04-25-2008, 4:37 PM
December 2005.

3GunFunShooter
04-25-2008, 4:39 PM
Was at the San Jose gun show on the Sunday, meeting with Wes of Tenpercent, when Iggy showed up. He did not arrest Wes and I started my DROS.
Just remember 2 weeks. Hell, I drove to Taft from NorCal twice to pick up my lowers. Yes, I remember when, those were the days.

Sydwaiz
04-25-2008, 4:52 PM
When prices came down to around $100. I wasn't in a rush having two registered ARs already. :p

DB2
04-25-2008, 4:53 PM
I found this place due to seeing a Bushmaster with a sealed magwell. I said what WTF and started doing some research. That was in '06. The disease started before I had even found CGN.

mds2004
04-25-2008, 4:55 PM
I believe its the month before I joined this forum.
Edit: so Dec 05.

JHC
04-25-2008, 4:59 PM
Milpitas group buy, and I don't really like AR's much

MILLITIAof1
04-25-2008, 5:04 PM
Joined the forum in feb.08 and finnished my first AR a week ago.
My BRD is getting out of control, since my build was done I have been through 3200 rounds of .223.

Millions-Knives
04-25-2008, 5:06 PM
I started my project not long after becoming a member. I read the laws carefully and I was referred to Metroshot by a co-worker. Pat clarified the law regarding this project even moreso. They gave me the confidence I needed to build my first OLL. It was nothing by success from that point on.

Ever since I saw one of these bad boys at Angeles, I knew I needed one. :D

ohsmily
04-25-2008, 5:11 PM
The crazy days were November-February of 2005....talk about a scramble before "the ban" that was supposed to happen in 2 weeks but never did. People spending hundreds of dollars for a single lower. Overnighting packages so that they could be DROSed or arrive within the prescribed DROS period. Not having anyone who was willing to ship the lowers in, and those that would were out of stock. Good times. I got on board in November but didn't actually get OLLs in hand until December.

kcs1211
04-25-2008, 5:15 PM
I found this site this month.
I pick up my first lower on the 30th.

I ordered the lower and planned to get everything else over the next couple of months (What I told my wife).

My mags & stock I received on wed, my upper will be here Monday.
So months turned into days.

About 5 days after I found out I could.....I did.

Kyle

agental1934
04-25-2008, 5:27 PM
Attended Cow Palace show on March 1, 2008, and met with folks from CWS and J&J. Was shocked to see the OLLs they were selling as I was unaware of the OLL regulations.

Researched and read many of the postings here on Calguns.net. DROS'd my first OLL within a few days, and had a complete build by March 20, 2008.

recshooter
04-25-2008, 5:33 PM
Found Calguns about a month or so ago, did some reading, then went to 10%'s site, did additional reading, said "what the f" two days later, and bought the M&P15--haven't looked back. Thanks guys.

Tweak338
04-25-2008, 5:34 PM
Two months after I turned 18.

AJAX22
04-25-2008, 5:38 PM
I found out in 2006....

it took me a solid afternoon of reading to convince myself that It was actually legal.

Then I got on the phone and started making calls.

Drove to Ades for my first one that same day to start paperwork.

mecam
04-25-2008, 5:38 PM
Was ready to Dros a Vulcan 15 and my local FFL suggested that I look at other brands and pointed me to Calguns and the rest was history.

wayoutwest
04-25-2008, 5:49 PM
I was already pre-paid when Wes started to DROS in San Jose

early Dec 2005 I think

apbrian112
04-25-2008, 5:54 PM
about 2 mins... i was at the costa mesa fun show and stumbled upon coldwars booth and drosed my first lower that day... a stag lower and a stag upper.

C.G.
04-25-2008, 6:08 PM
Not till January 2006, because I was out of the country and worried that the DOJ would list before I got back. I guess I shouldn't worry so much.;)

gcvt
04-25-2008, 6:12 PM
I just joined this site yesterday and am probably headed to Irvington Arms tomorrow to get going with my first lower (or 2).

jkasandiego
04-25-2008, 6:21 PM
Bought 4 lower receivers March '07 after one Calgunner saw me shooting my
Reg. bushmaster at a local gun range and mentioned about Calguns.

rkt88edmo
04-25-2008, 6:38 PM
After the first SJ show and when the general mood was that the DOJ would still list and the few FFLs who were willing were still fairly tight lipped - paid a premium for those lowers - would do it again :)

somecallmetim
04-25-2008, 6:50 PM
After getting my M1 through CMP and going to matches with my local club, I saw how many were using AR's. I asked a few questions and then found Calguns. After that, I only had to wait for my annual bonus to come in to pay for it all :gunsmilie:

From start to finish, about six months. Would have been quicker if I had the funds.

Hopi
04-25-2008, 7:24 PM
I remember when Blackrazor let the cat out of the bag.....he dropped the bomb on the forum that he was actually in possession of some DSA lowers, maybe Sep or Oct 2005, i can't remember exactly. After much discussion and some fact checking, Wes at 10% offered to import some lowers to Taft. Many of us faxed over our DROS info, within hours of his offer, to hold a place on the order. Ultimately, for me, I was not able to get one through Wes' original order so.....I heard the starting gun, and I saw the green flag drop.

As Ohsmily said above, lots of overnight shipping, lots of sweatin' over the 2 weeks rumors, and lots of speculation. Calguns.net was a very powerful place at that time......anyone remember that yahoo group?

docsmileyface
04-25-2008, 7:29 PM
It was about a week after I stumbled onto this site.... Sometime in February 2006. Ended up paying like $350 for a lower or something outrageous thanks to the "2 week" FUD.... ;)

Charliegone
04-25-2008, 7:45 PM
Heard from someone who's name escapes me now who told us about some guy named Chris transferring lowers, etc. Turned out to be Chris at BSP. I can tell you he was one of the first guys out there doing transfers when this whole thing began. Before that though I had 2 PTR-91 receivers transferred from some other guy who was kind of scared of the whole thing (PTR91 receiver, etc, no letter yet etc, know what I mean?). If you find that letter floating around, that was the one I received from our beloved favorite former Deputy DA.:cool: I wasn't really aware that well why it was legal. All I know Ben got one, hell why couldn't I? He had a letter, but then I decided why not read up on the stuff? Hence, now you have all types of guns not just ak's or ar's coming in the state thanks to the many efforts all those involved...ahhh it's great to be a part of it all.:party:

TKM
04-25-2008, 7:45 PM
I've been around for a long time and liked checking in now and then. Lots of cool stuff and I would learn from the Calguns braintrust almost every time.

Then!!!!

December '05 rolled around. There was a post about someone maybe sneaking a PJ lower through some weird "loophole".

I am beyond busy in December, Fedex takes no prisoners that time of year.

All of a sudden I'm working the phones coast to coast during every break and lunch period, trying to maybe find a friend of an FFL who might be able to find California if you kindof make it worth his while.

My name is TKM and I have Black Rifle Disease.....

MB260E
04-25-2008, 7:47 PM
Saw an AR at the range, then after he told me about OLL's, I was at Irvington the next day with a friend. Both of us DROS'd 2 CMMG lowers.

CSACANNONEER
04-25-2008, 7:51 PM
Back in Nov. '05, when DOJ told me I had two weeks! I drove 1 1/2-2 hours to Pirate's house to get 4 OLLs.

Hopi
04-25-2008, 7:51 PM
December '05 rolled around. There was a post about someone maybe sneaking a PJ lower through some weird "loophole".

How could I have forgotten about Ben's "JP and an oven" photo shoot.....Maybe Ben will post that picture for old time's sake?

Josh3239
04-25-2008, 8:13 PM
Learned about OLLs from here just a couple weeks after purchasing a top loading AR. Opened up the magwell and installed a bullet button a few months later. A few months after that I got myself an OLL.

C.G.
04-25-2008, 8:15 PM
How could I have forgotten about Ben's "JP and an oven" photo shoot.....Maybe Ben will post that picture for old time's sake?

It is still in the files, if you do a search.:)

robitrocks
04-25-2008, 8:39 PM
Started reading Calguns 3/07 and bought my first OLL 5/07. From then on it's been BRD!

emc002
04-25-2008, 8:56 PM
2 months after joining CalGuns.
Got 2 FFLs to start transferring them.
Got 12 friends/coworkers with their own rifles now.

BP88
04-25-2008, 9:17 PM
Not long at all. When I got back from Army basic I built one immediately. Mainly because I knew how to work on it already thus making my life a lot easier.

bigdave1121
04-25-2008, 9:25 PM
I, like others have stated, assumed the only legal AR's you could own in Cali had welded mags and therefore I wasn't interested. Then I started working at a shooting range and noticed all of the people with OLLs that were dropping mags and I thought there's no way all of these people have either pre-ban, or are just openly shooting AWs. Someone told me to check out this site and after about an hour of reading I was totally hooked.

Still waiting on my GOV check so I can buy my upper and finish my first build :D

gcvt
04-25-2008, 9:31 PM
Someone told me to check out this site and after about an hour of reading I was totally hooked.

No kidding! But for me it may have only taken 15-20 minutes ;) Had I not gone to the range on Wednesday for the first time in a while, I probably would have never Googled whatever brought me to this site.

Now I'm suddenly ready to drop a $1k? How does that work? LOL.

bigdave1121
04-25-2008, 9:46 PM
No kidding! But for me it may have only taken 15-20 minutes ;)

It only took me that extra 40-45 minutes because I was worried that this might just be all some ellaborate hoax to make guys think they could own really cool black rifles in Cali, when really you couldn't ;)

Sgt Raven
04-25-2008, 9:58 PM
Was at the San Jose gun show on the Sunday, meeting with Wes of Tenpercent, when Iggy showed up. He did not arrest Wes and I started my DROS.
Just remember 2 weeks. Hell, I drove to Taft from NorCal twice to pick up my lowers. Yes, I remember when, those were the days.

I was at the San Jose show but chickened out, then 2 or 3 weeks later I got in on a local group buy and pulled the trigger.

AxonGap
04-25-2008, 10:16 PM
Way before the OLL craze kicked into high gear I got my Fab10 from L&G Weaponry out of Huntington Beach. About 2 hours after I found I could have an AR style (sorta) platform, I was at Larry's getting it DROS'ed! :rolleyes:

rastro
04-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Remember the good ol' days when you JUST found out that you could have an AR in California? How long did you sit in disbelief before you actually took the plunge and acquired BRD?
All of a minute. I remember showing up at the SJ gun show in Nov/Dec '05 and meeting a very tired Wes after they had moved him to the back corner after some of the other dealers were complaining. :43:

I was thinking to self, could this be a DOJ setup??? What was behind that curtain next to Wes??? Look like they could easily set up a field expedient processing center. :TFH:

Met Wes, saw that El Rojo had balls of steel and dropped the dime for a Fulton. TWO WEEKS, TWO WEEKS!!! Devastated when Wes said that Fulton pulled the shipment after calls from the DOJ. OH NO! WHAT TO DO??? :banghead:

But wait! Someone now has a DOJ letter for a Stag. THE INFAMOUS DOJ LETTERS. Millions of calls later, paid $225.00 for a STRIPPED Stag lower to be FedExed from Texas with less than a week left! :punk:

Then it started raining lowers. Did the first group buy @ JMB, still wear the T-shirt to work occasionally.

EDIT: Let's throw this in there...how many other people do you know that now have ARs after you told them it was possible? I can think of about 4 off the top of my head.Well, I told two friends, who then told two more friends, who ... :party:

The worst part is that I had paid $200.00 for a FAB-10 lower earlier that summer. Not a total loss though since it is now reg'd as a .50! :biggrinjester:

azndmd
04-25-2008, 11:27 PM
Jan.'06...

bought my first OLL....sweating it out to find a place that had them in stock...I found out about Gunrunners in Duarte..but they were sold out, but might get another shipment later that week. I kept calling a couple times a day until they had a somewhat iffy delivery date. I showed up when they opened and they had OLL. Got a Sun Devil OLL. wow...got it before the infamous 2 week deadline!!

those were crazy times.....

1hotrod
04-26-2008, 12:27 AM
I waited a few years, because I didn't want an AR with the Prince 50 kit. I thought it would suck big time to break open an AR to just reload everytime!!

But then the Button Bullet came out, and that really changed everything. I waited about a year to let things settle down, and then I started getting into it.

Beatone
04-26-2008, 12:52 AM
I jumped right on when I heard :Two weeks!"

Deadred7o7
04-26-2008, 1:07 AM
Nov.07 I came across a pic. of a Kel-Tec on another site and started to look into them. Then did a little google-fo and found this http://blog.riflegear.com/articles/b...-15-rifle.aspx .
That got the ball rolling and now I have my first compleat oll just need to save a few more clams to get a upper for it (June).

savageevo
04-26-2008, 8:40 AM
I was into airsoft as a hobby and when I was at one of the stores i just made a comment (it would be nice to have the real deal) then the worker told me I can have one of those. They mention just go to coldwarshooters and order a reciever. CWS directed me to BSP and thats how I got to know Chris. I swear, The day I picked up my reciever, I was so peroniod. I thought someone was following me home. All this all happen November 06. I then search for forums on the net and found my new family.:D

Sig357
04-26-2008, 8:42 AM
As soon as I found out about OLL, it took me 3 weeks to get my first AR:D

Red_5
04-26-2008, 9:47 AM
Being the extra patient sort that I am, I had a couple of lowers on order within a day of discovering CalGuns.

:chris:

arfan66
04-26-2008, 9:56 AM
Surfing ar15.com's CA hometown forum I came across the link to calguns and a week later I paid for my Ameetec lower during the 2nd Milpitas group buy. I remember sitting in the parking lot thinking 'This must be what a junkie feels like waiting to score a fix. After two 2 hour round trips this better be the real deal!'. The rest is history. Three locally acquired OOL's later, my wallet will never be the same.......

Two of my friends and my brother have since caught the disease and I've refered several folks (one of which actually stepped over to the dark side :43:) to the 'OLL friendly' FFL here in Sacramento. Good times.

P.S. "TWO WEEKS!"

wksun88
04-26-2008, 10:05 AM
It took me a year and a half.. because I couldn't swallow the ~800 price tag until I got a part time job.
poor students....

Da_shotcaller
04-26-2008, 3:27 PM
I bought mine Feb 2006. First found out about it by accident when i went to SJ Gun Exchange while i was trying to find out if they still carry some AR15 parts. At that time i was trying to build an AR using the 80% lower reciever with my own type of bullet button. How i wish bullet button was available when i first built my 2 AR that would have save me some time and a lot of broken drill bits :D.

I was a little skeptical about it when i first saw it. Especially seeing couple of guys picking up thier lower reciever wrap in what appeared to be a brown paper bag :D. But i still decided to get 1 reciever the same day. Got a High Standard lower which i don't know anything about but decided to get it since it's the last one they got in stock. 2 days later i picked up a double star lower after i found out that thier new shipment just arrived.

daskraut
04-26-2008, 4:14 PM
3 years....

DrunkSkunk
04-26-2008, 4:28 PM
what's an oll? :confused:

ldivinag
04-26-2008, 5:30 PM
have memories of running to the san jose gun show, late sunday afternoon. the show closed at 4pm. i thought it closed at 5.

anyways, it was december 2005.

i get there at 3:50pm. i get free parking at that school next door.

i run to the front door of the show. i somehow got in for free (again) at the show, saying i just need to sign something.

wes, from ten percent, was just closing up his booth.

i had emailed and phoned him the previous week, that this crap was REAL!

anyways, took about 20 minutes to process me.

i got back to my car and left the day happy.

that was 2+ year later and so many AR lowers... :) :) :)

Ak47owner
04-26-2008, 9:41 PM
i got oll desiease back when gas was $1.99 and 7.62x39 was $3.00 lol

paradox
04-27-2008, 7:31 AM
I waited until it became clear that the DOJ was never going to list, back when AM thought the lowers could only be used as paper weights. I'm on enough lists, my tin foil hat kept me from getting on the two-week bandwagon.

:TFH::TFH::TFH:

Black Majik
04-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Oh, probably when I saw the picture of Ben holding his new AR in front of his Christmas tree.

Dec. 2005.

I remember I could type out "two weeks" faster than my name within those 2 months.

Aaah yes. Cold War was operating in their backyard, and lowers were $225 each for Rock Rivers. I ended up picking up a Lauer just in case the Rock Rivers didn't get listed. :D

double_action
04-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Dec. 2005, well worth the two drives to Taft :D

gunrun45
04-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Sometime in early 2006 I think... I started ghosting this site first and then joined in October of '06.

I already owned 2 reg AR's so I wasn't so hot-to-trot as some.
I think I own around 5 now (all MMG builds or bare bare frames) and I have gotten at least 8 people into owning them and they all own multiple now :) Funny thing is that I enjoy shooting them more than my other registered rifles and honestly shoot them more.

MrTuffPaws
04-28-2008, 3:48 PM
Haven't yet. I just went with Saiga's as I like AKs better than ARs, but I have been thinking about an A1 setup, just to have one.

DedEye
04-28-2008, 4:07 PM
Man, reading this thread is bringing back memories of late 2006 when I ordered mine (very shortly after finding out about them). I remember reading this forum and seeing "two weeks" being thrown around left and right. When I called Michelle at CWS and asked her about that, she set me right :chris: and told me it was :fud: ;).

76231b
04-28-2008, 5:40 PM
Probably about 5 months after I knew about them.

12voltguy
04-28-2008, 6:01 PM
2 weeks:kest::kest::kest::kest::kest:

silverbenz
04-28-2008, 8:05 PM
I was affected with BRD in 1999; and registered plenty as AW's so I haven't much need for another AR lower; (I still haven't gotten around to putting a couple of those bushy's together....)

I didn't get around to a communist rifle back then though; so thats become my current ailment...:43:

dccali79
04-28-2008, 9:23 PM
I bought my first OLL on January 07 from Atlantic firearms. It was the cali legal AK with a welded 10/20 lever magazine. It was a real pain in the butt to top load and I just didn't like doing it that way. Then I found CALGUNS, and did some research and found the bullet buttons, and bought one of the ak bullet buttons from cold war shooters. As soon as I got it, I removed the pistol grip and used a dremel to remove the fixed mag and installed the bullet button and reattached the grip of course :). Since then I have built myself an NDS3 "AK" lower with a Romanian parts kit and us made parts, and also put together a CMMG M4orgery and now my superior arms lower which still needs a upper. I also have 2 parts kits, one is a polish tantal ak74 and the other is another romak kit. I might just build them into cali legal rifles hopefully soon. All of my rifles have bullet buttons and future builds will be built with them cause I just love the evil features :D. Thank you Bill Wiese and CalGuns.net for all the info that helped me figure out how to legally own these type of rifles in Cali.You guys are the best.

ko1featherweigh
04-28-2008, 9:35 PM
september of 07 i learned i could have a OLL
september 28 2007 i drosed my frist OLL

jacques
04-28-2008, 10:47 PM
I was on it before I knew it was legal.

NORCALWRECKCHASER
04-29-2008, 12:21 AM
I bought my 1st stripped lower 2/06 I thought I had a week or two till the "government" came a knockin'. I now have 2 and have built over 20 lowers for friends :)

5150Marcelo
04-29-2008, 12:32 AM
Took me about 4 mins of reading CGN before I decided to catch BRD. Now I got 3 OLLs.

rssslvr
04-29-2008, 9:52 AM
about 30 sec. and I was on the phone with my FFL

soopafly
04-29-2008, 10:41 AM
A few hours to read up and sink in then decide to go for it. It took longer to actually buy my first stripped lowers(couple weeks) because I had to: 1) Find a local FFL willing to do the transfer, 2)Find an out of state dealer willing to ship to CA, 3) and had lowers in stock. This was back in the Dec '05 - Jan '06 mad rush. Didn't we clean out Stag's entire inventory of stripped lowers in like...TWO WEEKS.:D

soopafly
04-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Oh, probably when I saw the picture of Ben holding his new AR in front of his Christmas tree.

Dec. 2005.

I remember that pic. Whoever ends up being the Calguns historian definitely needs to include that pic in the archives. All I want is my autographed copy:p

Hopi
04-29-2008, 11:21 AM

It is still in the files, if you do a search.:)

Still can't find it. Haven't PM'd Ben yet though....

Builder
04-29-2008, 1:05 PM
I'd registered my Palmetto AR back in 1990 not knowing any better. Then school, work, flying, and life let the AR sit in its case until 2005. In researching for a homebuilt AR (what with the SB23 ban and all), I came across CGN in Dec. '05. Joined CGN & DROS's 5 Lauers in Jan. '06 at Metroshot and a CMMG in Feb. '06 because it was on the DOJ's two weeks list. Since then, added a PSL & 6 AK's.
Many, many thanks to Bill, Ben, Wes, Pat, Hector, Gene, CGN, & all the rest of you who have made this happen. Oh, and Allison too, thank you.
Thanks,
Builder

bwiese
04-29-2008, 6:10 PM
Many, many thanks to Bill, Ben, Wes, Pat, Hector, Gene, CGN, &
all the rest of you who have made this happen.

Oh, and Allison too, thank you

Yes, we do forget that Alison Merrilees has been (albeit inadvertently, thru arrogant hubris) unbelievably helpful.

Alison took a situation that we thought might just have a chance of 100-500 people ending up with AWs - and turned it into one where ~100,000 folks have legal rifles and no new AWs can be named/declared by AG or courts. This directly led to prevention of listing for Mini14s, M1A and Yugo M59 rifles: before AB2728, these rifles could be subject to the AW-banning whim of a DOJ-tamed judge...

Alison's writings, in part, along with the attempt to change regulatory definitions in 2006, have helped several OLL cases be dropped and have vastly lowered the defense cost for a legit OLL/AW case.

C.G.
04-29-2008, 8:52 PM
Still can't find it. Haven't PM'd Ben yet though....

Only for you:)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=24777&highlight=ctr-02

http://cdglobal.net/gun/AR_4-blur-crop-s.jpg

The one that started it all!

vinny_land
04-29-2008, 10:59 PM
I got a recommendation from PRK guy from a mosin nagant forum that told me about the saiga forums. Later was told to join CGN, did some reading and was hooked.

Hopi
04-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Only for you:)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=24777&highlight=ctr-02

http://cdglobal.net/gun/AR_4-blur-crop-s.jpg

The one that started it all!

Nice work! Though, I was talking about that picture of him in the kitchen next to his fancy oven......