PDA

View Full Version : CA Constitutional Gay Marriage Ban

Bad Voodoo
04-25-2008, 11:26 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/25/MNIF10BFT8.DTL

The battle over same-sex marriage in California heated up Thursday, when supporters of an initiative to ban it in the state's Constitution submitted more than 1.1 million signatures in an effort to qualify the measure for the November ballot.

So let me get this straight. People in this state can organize a signature effort to get a gay marriage ban added to the November ballot, but we can't do a g-damned thing about getting the politicians to stop infringing on our 2A rights? :confused: :rolleyes:

Hopi
04-25-2008, 11:34 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/25/MNIF10BFT8.DTL

So let me get this straight. People in this state can organize a signature effort to get a gay marriage ban added to the November ballot, but we can't do a g-damned thing about getting the politicians to stop infringing on our 2A rights? :confused: :rolleyes:

Bigotry and moral judgment are apparently high-powered motivators.

mymonkeyman
04-25-2008, 11:38 AM
You just need to learn how to sell it. I'm sure the guys out there collecting signatures weren't asking if you wanted to amend the state constitution to ban same-sex marriages, they were asking people to sign a petition to "protect marriage" or some other BS. Just create the petition repealing gun laws. The person collecting signatures can say its to "protect children." If they ask more and it's an anti-gun area, say "It's about gun control."

Harrison_Bergeron
04-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Um, this could be a good thing.

This will attract a lot more attention to the CA measures on the ballot, people who think that the presidential race is a joke will be more likely to show up with measures like this on the ballot, that will make getting votes for the redistricting bill a lot easier.

383green
04-25-2008, 1:06 PM
Why don't we start two ballot initiatives: One to protect gay marriage and eliminate gun control laws, and another to prohibit gay marriage and eliminate gun control laws? We can also do the same things with pro-/anti-abortion, pro-/anti-immigration, pro-/anti-drug, etc. ;)

P.S.: No, I'm not really serious.

Harrison_Bergeron
04-25-2008, 1:11 PM

Why not, doesn't Congress do exactly that?

383green
04-25-2008, 1:20 PM

They do, but I aspire to live to a higher moral standard. :rolleyes:

Nemo
04-25-2008, 1:26 PM
Man, if I could have me a gay marriage AND my firearms rights, this would be a great state.

383green
04-25-2008, 1:29 PM
As long as we're dreaming, let's make alcohol a tax write-off, too! :D

Rivers
04-25-2008, 1:43 PM
I believe that the standards for a proposition require that it be focused on a specific topic. Mixing topics (gun laws and any other unrelated item like birth control, gay marriage, tax reform, etc.) would get the proposition thrown out in court (if it even got that far) or disallowed by the Secretary of State.

Scarecrow Repair
04-25-2008, 1:47 PM

California initiatives have to addess one issue. Some have been thrown out for failure to do so.

bulgron
04-25-2008, 2:18 PM

I assume that it's rather easy to get people to sign up for a gay marriage ban initiative. Just set up your tables at the most heavily populated mega-churches in the state, and collect signatures as people leave Sunday sermon.

I also assume that this is how they can come after us with various anti-abortion initiatives time after time. Churches are a self-organizing environment for these kind of initiatives.

dreyna14
04-25-2008, 2:24 PM
How about this, we'll promise San Francisco-type liberals to let gays get married, if they give us our gun rights back.

Nemo
04-25-2008, 2:37 PM
Check out the Pink Pistols: Gay and pro 2A. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Pistols
http://www.pinkpistols.com/

"armed gays don't get bashed..."

cackinthebox
04-25-2008, 3:28 PM
because there are no bigger problems at hand...

Fjold
04-25-2008, 3:32 PM
Can we get a proposition to ban opposite sex marriage?

M. Sage
04-25-2008, 5:07 PM
Why don't we start two ballot initiatives: One to protect gay marriage and eliminate gun control laws, and another to prohibit gay marriage and eliminate gun control laws? We can also do the same things with pro-/anti-abortion, pro-/anti-immigration, pro-/anti-drug, etc. ;)

Illegal. Legislation in CA has to be single-issue, even though it almost never is.

colossians323
04-25-2008, 5:44 PM
Bigotry and moral judgment are apparently high-powered motivators.

Bigot:a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Just how is this bigoted?
Where is the intolerance or hatred?
Does that mean all the 2a people are bigots against the non 2a people?
Where is the moral judgment?
If you believe something to be wrong, can't you have that belief, without being intolerant or a moral judge?
I know a few gay people personally, and they are great people, does this mean I have to agree with their lifestyle, or else I am intolerant, or a bigot?

Oh the intolerance of the tolerant:rolleyes:

Hopi
04-25-2008, 6:05 PM
Bigot:a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Just how is this bigoted?
Where is the intolerance or hatred?
Does that mean all the 2a people are bigots against the non 2a people?
Where is the moral judgment?
If you believe something to be wrong, can't you have that belief, without being intolerant or a moral judge?
I know a few gay people personally, and they are great people, does this mean I have to agree with their lifestyle, or else I am intolerant, or a bigot?

Oh the intolerance of the tolerant:rolleyes:

Regarding marriages that are legally documented in CA:
When you prohibit somebody, based on their sexual orientation, from doing something that another person can do legally, I would say that the intentions are rooted in both bigoted and morally-influenced thinking. Do I need to explain why?

Often in these discussions, people confuse the two distinct unions of marriage, the "legal marriage", and the "religious marriage".

Sutcliffe
04-25-2008, 6:15 PM
because there are no bigger problems at hand...

Let's see what amount of smoke it will take to make our 15 billion budget deficit get moved to the back burner.
I'm not for gay marriage. Not against it either. What two people do in a commited relationship ought not to be my business.

tygerpaw
04-25-2008, 6:16 PM
I believe that the standards for a proposition require that it be focused on a specific topic. Mixing topics (gun laws and any other unrelated item like birth control, gay marriage, tax reform, etc.) would get the proposition thrown out in court (if it even got that far) or disallowed by the Secretary of State.

Only the elected anointed get to do that........

Kestryll
04-25-2008, 6:23 PM
Well that was fast.

First reply calling those who disagree with their personal views bigots.

That pretty much calls the game on account of name calling, insults and prejudice.