PDA

View Full Version : First AR builds

somecallmetim
04-25-2008, 9:27 AM
I took the plunge and kept it simple
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd285/timnpam601/0424081447a.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pic... had to take it with my phone.

Specs:
Stag lowers
Bullet buttons
10 rd C-products magazines

RRA NM A4
RRA NM 2-stage LPK

RRA Elite CAR A4 Mid-length
Stag LPK

Still need to get slings, and I'm seriously considering replacing the trigger group on the CAR with another RRA 2-stage. I may try a 15-minute trigger job first, but I'm really not satisfied with the pull on the Stag trigger.

Hopi
04-25-2008, 9:32 AM
Nice! Love the classic KISS builds!

somecallmetim
04-25-2008, 9:47 AM
One thing... before these two, the only experience that I had with this platform was with the standard issue M-16A2's in the Army. The upper/lower fit on those was looser than a $20 whore. On these, I have to tap the rear takedown pins in with a hammer and out with a punch. Is this normal on new AR builds? I can imagine that they will "wear-in" with repeated disassembly and use, it just surprises me how tight they fit when new.

gcvt
04-25-2008, 9:54 AM
Very nice! I'm looking to do my first build with basically the same components you used. Lookin' good!

RedDawn
04-25-2008, 9:57 AM
Nice builds.:D

I haven't noticed the tight fit between the upper and lower on my AR's (doubstar lowers, CMT, Bushmaster uppers)

RECCE556
04-25-2008, 10:39 AM
One thing... before these two, the only experience that I had with this platform was with the standard issue M-16A2's in the Army. The upper/lower fit on those was looser than a $20 whore. On these, I have to tap the rear takedown pins in with a hammer and out with a punch. Is this normal on new AR builds? I can imagine that they will "wear-in" with repeated disassembly and use, it just surprises me how tight they fit when new.
$20 whore? You must have had some more recent ones. My buddy was in the Army when they were still issuing M-16A1's and those were looser than a whore that pays YOU $20. :D

The tight upper and lower isn't uncommon and yes, with some use, it will get easier. I would also put some lube in there.

somecallmetim
04-25-2008, 11:02 AM
$20 whore? You must have had some more recent ones. My buddy was in the Army when they were still issuing M-16A1's and those were looser than a whore that pays YOU $20. :D

The tight upper and lower isn't uncommon and yes, with some use, it will get easier. I would also put some lube in there.

I always use lots of lube.

...oh, yeah, on my rifles too :p

viras
04-25-2008, 11:11 AM
HEY! I want to be very clear about this: All whores, regardless of whether they are $20 or $2k, should be respected equally. Thank you.

USN CHIEF
04-25-2008, 1:28 PM
HEY! I want to be very clear about this: All whores, regardless of whether they are $20 or $2k, should be respected equally. Thank you.

+1

Nice job, they look lean and mean.. Congrats...