PDA

View Full Version : Harris Bipod or Rock Mount

Sig357
04-24-2008, 8:44 PM
This will be for my PTR 91, but I can't decide between the two. Does the Rock Mount....mount directly to a Pic. rail or do I need an adapter like the Harris? Also which one is best swivel or non swivel? I say maybe 75% of my shooting will be from a bench.

aplinker
04-24-2008, 9:34 PM
The Shooter's Ridge = Rock Mount?

If so, it's a chicom harris clone

Solidsnake87
04-24-2008, 11:24 PM
I have two of the rock mounts. If you're mounting it on a .223 it will work great. I have one on my AR and its amazing. The rock mounts are harris bipod clones basically. However, don't mount one on anything more powerful than .223. My dad has one on his .270 winchester (basically a .30-06 with a .27 cal bullet) and the parts on the thing always work themselves loose. They can always be tightened but its REALLY annoying to have to re-tighten things up after every two shots. For more powerful stuff get the harris. For $10-15 more you won't regret it.

mr2.0
04-25-2008, 12:37 AM
I have a Harris and a Rockmont 6-9, no comparision. The Harris felt more solid and better spring tension.

sb_pete
04-25-2008, 12:43 AM
I bought one of those things because the local shop I picked it up at did not have a Harris in the right size. I don't have a Harris to compare it to but I can say that on my Savage 10fp .308 it HAD a tendency to work itself loose quite a bit. The nuts holding the arms onto the main assembly come loose causing the springs tensioning the arms in place to fall loose. A real PITA generally. Eventually I got fed up and replaced them with lock-nuts and used a liberal blob of lock-tite on them. No probs since (~400 rds or so).

If I were to do it again, I would just buy a Harris. That said, knowing what I do now, I would probably do the same thing with nuts on a Harris. Still authenticity and rewarding the guys who came up with the design is probably worth the $10-15, no?

Sig357
04-25-2008, 3:02 AM
Thanks fellas Harris it is.;)