PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Brown on KGO

macadamizer
04-24-2008, 1:21 PM
This may be a dupe, if it is, feel free to yell at me. :D

On KGO 810 in the Bay Area this morning, they had an interview with Jerry Brown, he does interviews weekly. The reporter brought up the fact that in Oakland, 2 "perps" have been shot by homeowners arming themselves, and wasn't he (Jerry Brown) worried about people buying guns to protect themselves. Brown said that people have a constitutional right to own firearms, SCOTUS was about to uphold that right, and have a constitutional right to protect themselves, and while it was unfortunate that is has come to this in Oakland, he fully understood it. Actually, his tone and demeanor almost made it sounded like he wanted to support the actions of these people, but just couldn't quite get their publicly.

Anyway, just thought it was an interesting set of statements, and clearly not what the reporters doing the interview expected.

I believe it will be buried somewhere in here if anyone wants to listen: http://www.kgoam810.com/Article.asp?id=49920. Thursday in the 8 AM hour, probably around 8:15 or 8:20 or so.

CCWFacts
04-24-2008, 1:23 PM
I've said it a bunch of times before, AG Brown is on our side.

IGOTDIRT4U
04-24-2008, 1:24 PM
Very interesting. Maybe he is becoming more of a true liberal that believes that all people have rights equally under the Constitution, rather than a Marxist liberal where only the system has the right to tell you what you rights consist of.

mymonkeyman
04-24-2008, 1:25 PM
He is just doing the typical wiggle to the middle so he can run for Governor for life.

Shenaniguns
04-24-2008, 1:33 PM

I honestly don't know either way about him, can you post some information proving this? Thanks

CCWFacts
04-24-2008, 1:38 PM
I can't prove it, and the guy is a seasoned politician, so he's not going to be taking a stance on this issue that's politically fatal. He wants to run for guv, after all.

Here's a couple of things to look at: all the AGs of the hardcore anti-gun-rights states, except AG Brown, signed on to DC's brief in Heller. One other, he demoted the status of the firearms department within the AG's office. He has publicly stated his support for the 2A in this quote and others in the past.

He is an idealist, and the 2A is the ultimate "power to the people" type of thing.

Pvt. Cowboy
04-24-2008, 1:43 PM
Edmund 'Jerry' Brown's father 'Pat' Brown gave his son political advice before he took the office of Governor of California in 1975:

"Just two things to remember: In California, don't mess with a man's cars or his guns. That's all, really."

chris
04-24-2008, 1:49 PM

i don't trust him at all. he is a demoKrat in this state and he is subject to suspician on gun owner rights he has to prove to me otherwise. other than that he is a gun banner in disguise!

Ironchef
04-24-2008, 2:03 PM
I wouldn't say that OP notion means anything. Saying one thing in a candid radio interview is quite different than fundraising with special interest groups. I doubt he's any different than any politicians and in California, his funds will be more generous (and his voter support) if he's NOT 2a friendly. Gun owners can quote his radio comment all we want, but in the end, the money talks...or so it is with the other 99% of politicians.

Mitch
04-24-2008, 2:33 PM
On KGO 810 in the Bay Area this morning, they had an interview with Jerry Brown, he does interviews weekly. The reporter brought up the fact that in Oakland, 2 "perps" have been shot by homeowners arming themselves, and wasn't he (Jerry Brown) worried about people buying guns to protect themselves. Brown said that people have a constitutional right to own firearms, SCOTUS was about to uphold that right, and have a constitutional right to protect themselves, and while it was unfortunate that is has come to this in Oakland, he fully understood it. Actually, his tone and demeanor almost made it sounded like he wanted to support the actions of these people, but just couldn't quite get their publicly.

Just a reminder: our last several Republican governors signed a lot more gun control legislation than Moonbeam ever did.

bwiese
04-24-2008, 2:45 PM
Oh, the stories that could be told...

Sgt Raven
04-24-2008, 2:50 PM
Oh, the stories that could be told...

Bill, has it really come to this?

That you needed this sig?
No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), or the NRA. No
posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice,
which can only be given by a lawyer.
:confused:

McMadCow
04-24-2008, 2:54 PM
If AG Brown was on our side, why did he make those ridiculous fear-mongering remarks about Poochigian not banning the .50BMG in that televised debate? He held up a cartridge and showed what Pooch thought should be legal just for the extra scare factor. I'm sorry, I can understand keeping your mouth shut in a bad political climate, but that move put him right down there with Perata in my mind.

Glock22Fan
04-24-2008, 3:02 PM
If AG Brown was on our side, why did he make those ridiculous fear-mongering remarks about Poochigian not banning the .50BMG in that televised debate? He held up a cartridge and showed what Pooch thought should be legal just for the extra scare factor. I'm sorry, I can understand keeping your mouth shut in a bad political climate, but that move put him right down there with Perata in my mind.
+10

bwiese
04-24-2008, 3:03 PM
Bill, has it really come to this?
That you needed this sig?

"No postings of mine here..."

Mostly a just-in-case thing for CGF. It separates the periodic casual comments I make here as an individual from formal comments I may make as part of CGF.

The rest is kinda boilerplate. And even though I am 100% proNRA and talk to some of the great folks there, I would not want any comment I make to possibly be misconstrued as an official NRA position, that's all.

hoffmang
04-24-2008, 3:04 PM
Pooch attacked Mr. Brown on guns so he had to come back.

Mr. Brown has shown many signs that the worst he'll do for our issue is remain neutral. Did everyone here notice that California didn't join DC's amicus when the rest of the usual bad states did? I mean even the City of San Francisco signed on to DC's side and our AG did not...

-Gene

bwiese
04-24-2008, 3:07 PM

Because Poochigian was friggin' stupid enough to bring up the damned issue that had already passed into law.

He was counseled NOT to do so by Wise Folks, and sleeping dogs woulda remained in their beds. But he chose to ignore it.