PDA

View Full Version : Higher Quality OLL's

SigAlert
04-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Is there such an amimal? I'm thinking of picking up a stripped OLL. Are there better brands out there? Brands to avoid? Or are they all the same chunk of alloy?

I plan on spreading this build over months (or years :eek:) and would like to start with the best quality I can afford.

Thanks Guys!

416stroker
04-24-2008, 11:46 AM
buy a pof

Hopi
04-24-2008, 11:47 AM
MEGA has one of the nicest finishes/fits on the market. Check with the vendors here, they generally have lots of different brands to shop....

mike22ca
04-24-2008, 11:47 AM
I just recently built my first one which was a Mega. Heard nothing but good things about them really, and it turned out great. Everyone says they're all the same though, unless its a Vulcan. Never have seen/touched a Vulcan in person so I couldnt comment. Others comments are enough to make me steer clear of them. Im about to pickup (3) Spikes lowers in the ARF.com group buy :D

KrazyKevy
04-24-2008, 12:00 PM
buy a pof

+1
P416 Billet Gen III +$300 for stripped lower

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/fe3805cec97c6d5f5e4d0af0af442a9f.jpg

RedDawn
04-24-2008, 12:03 PM
POF would be a preimum lower receiver.

supersonic
04-24-2008, 12:04 PM
CMMG stripped lower & Armalite LPK w/ Tac 2-stage trigger. I'm on my 5th build now (and have done countless others for friends), and so far, this combo beats them all, IMO. (the only ones I don't have personal hands-on experience with are Colt & DPMS). Also, I'm pretty anal about putting together lowers (i.e.- always polish all roll pins / cover lower & tools with 2 layers of electrical tape to avoid marring anything / lube all pins;springs;detents;etc. (I use Mil-Comm TW-25B) :)

PolishMike
04-24-2008, 12:05 PM
This has been covered on here a MILLION times. most are the same, made in the same place with the same tools by the same people. Couple people make "premium" that will match your gucci sunglasses.

RedDawn
04-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Yes it has, but the search button is hit or miss.
It doesn't hurt to talk about it a MILLION times more...lol :D
Especially if new information is available...

RECCE556
04-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Don't worry about the lower receiver itself. Any decent brand will be good. Colt, DSA, LAR, etc.. Get a RRA LPK, get a grip and buttstock of your choice (I recommend the Magpul MIAD grip and the Vltor E-MOD but that's personal preference) If you want a good, DURABLE match trigger, get a Giessele. NOTHING else is as good, PERIOD. The Giessele SSA (non-adjustable) is $150.

Where you really want to spend good money is on the upper. Quality barrel, BCG, upper receiver, rail, sights, optics, etc..

FlyingPen
04-24-2008, 12:51 PM
You don't like the RRA 2 Stage Recce?

PistolPete75
04-24-2008, 1:01 PM
This has been covered on here a MILLION times. most are the same, made in the same place with the same tools by the same people. Couple people make "premium" that will match your gucci sunglasses.

people need to feel elite. what can you say? if they want to spend extra money on the same stuff, let them.

SigAlert
04-24-2008, 1:30 PM
people need to feel elite. what can you say? if they want to spend extra money on the same stuff, let them.

I wouldn't say elite. Some lowers are $99, some are $199, some are more. Seeing as the lower is the one part of the rifle I can't replace if I change my mind (due to serialization), why not sink a couple extra buck into it.

Sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes you don't. I'm just putting it out there so I can learn something.

Prc329
04-24-2008, 1:33 PM
From my experience and all the builds I have done, they are all the same. The only ones that could be considered "premium" lowers are the billet ones like the POF. Then it just depends on if that is your thing or not. I say buy the one that has the roll mark you like and call it a day.

Buy one of 10% special run lowers. They build up very well and you will be in an elite class because they are short runs and low serial numbers.

Sgt Raven
04-24-2008, 1:40 PM
If you know what you're doing you could line up a whole bunch of lowers and find ones that are better than others from any brand. It's like the difference between a blueprinted engine and a stock engine. Anything mechanical has tolerances and the closer to the ideal lower the better. ;)

RECCE556
04-24-2008, 2:15 PM
You don't like the RRA 2 Stage Recce?
It's not that it's a bad trigger, but I've had and seen a few them of go down under moderate carbine class use. For the weekend/occasional shooter, it's probably just fine but with RRA's price increase, the $150 Geissele is a no-brainer upgrade.

FlyingPen
04-24-2008, 2:23 PM
I've been thinking about getting a better trigger for my LMT but I'm thinking buying more ammo might be a better investment. The stock trigger doesn't seem that terrible to me.

Eric_Oh
04-24-2008, 2:26 PM
It's not that it's a bad trigger, but I've had and seen a few them of go down under moderate carbine class use...

What do you mean by "go down"? Did a trigger component physically break or what?

jamesob
04-24-2008, 2:29 PM
JP is high quality and pricey

Ronco
04-24-2008, 2:47 PM
No one has mentioned Noveske yet... So I will.
Noveske N4 should be considered. Fit and finish is excellent.

Sig357
04-24-2008, 2:52 PM
No one has mentioned Noveske yet... So I will.
Noveske N4 should be considered. Fit and finish is excellent.

I recently picked up a Noveske, it's finish is pretty good. I think I still like the finish of my Mega pistol lower better though.

FlyingPen
04-24-2008, 3:00 PM
Yeah, the Noveske is nothing special. It used to be a CMT (Stag) lower then they switched to LAR after some QC problems from CMT.

AFAIK, the only ones who make their own lowers are Sun Devil, Mega, and POF. Please feel free to add more to this list. I think Noveske might make their own AR-10 lowers but I have no idea.

Ronco
04-24-2008, 3:02 PM
I recently picked up a Noveske, it's finish is pretty good. I think I still like the finish of my Mega pistol lower better though.

Well, bring them both up north and lay them side by side and let me shoot both and then I'll see which one is better.
;)

On the Mega lower, I hear you can tenderize meat with it as well.

Sig357
04-24-2008, 3:07 PM
Well, bring them both up north and lay them side by side and let me shoot both and then I'll see which one is better.
;)

On the Mega lower, I hear you can tenderize meat with it as well.

Haha I am not saying that one is better than the other as far a function goes. I just like the finish of the Mega, plus YES you can tenderize meat with it.

I have a Mega Pistol Lower and a Stag currently built up. They both function the same. The Noveske is not complete yet, but I am pretty sure it will function the same as the others I have.

Sure if I am ever up north with you can give them a shot.:D

RECCE556
04-24-2008, 3:16 PM
What do you mean by "go down"? Did a trigger component physically break or what?
The two problems I've seen is that they either loose their first stage (which obviously changes the way the trigger feels) or they stop working all together. In the first instance, it's fixable but the problem will continue unless you get the trigger properly hardened. The second problem requires replacing parts. I've also heard of the sear/disco pin coming out but I've never actually seen that happen.

The Mega lowers I've seen have been very nice. As for Noveske, I had about four of them in my collection (all CMT manufactured ones). #1 was fine, #2 had a slightly off grip screw hole (a little filing on the grip got it working), #3 & #4 had the problem grip screw hole where it was way off (to the level where you'd need to fill and re-drill the lower). I never bought one of the LAR made Noveske's but knowing LAR, I'm sure they're all very good.

Fjold
04-24-2008, 3:44 PM
Because of the lack of forging seam marks and correct radius on all the curved surfaces I like the SunDevil milled lowers

aplinker
04-24-2008, 5:45 PM
First off, I'll just say that this is essentially a meaningless discussion, given the TINY differences in lowers out there (there are only 1/2 dozen major cutters and a few smaller shops out there). Additionally, the lower has comparatively very little operational effect on the overall accuracy/durability of the rifle.

There are essentially two "big" options: 1 of the many forged lowers cut by the different houses. Finish, logo and MINOR cutting differences are all you'll see here. Xenophobe has an excellent post on those.

The second "big option" are the billet lowers - POF and Sun Devil. POF are "fancy" with their Gen II and Gen III lowers. Gen II adds an integral triggerguard, Gen III has the trigger guard and adds an ambidextrous bolt release. Sun Devil's lower is like POF's Gen I. The problem with Sun Devil is they use softer aluminum - however on a lower this is not even an issue.

Just decide if the POF "upgrades" are what you want and, if not, then pick your favority logo/finish. I would suggest with some upper brands it's nice to match upper/lower (Noveske, Stag, etc), but it doesn't matter one bit as all parts are made to mix.

Because of the lack of forging seam marks and correct radius on all the curved surfaces I like the SunDevil milled lowers

jacques
04-24-2008, 9:22 PM
UCLA, I read that thread by Xenophobe awhile ago. It was excellent. I thought I found it on Gunwiki, but I can not find it anywhere now. Do you know where it went?

SigAlert
04-24-2008, 9:29 PM
This Might be it.... (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=50947)

supersonic
04-25-2008, 6:48 AM
Like a lot of the responses above, the lower really is the least of your worries as far as quality goes. Vulcan aside, they are all very similar. Some have more desirable finishes/logos than others, but at the end of the day, they will all do the same job the same way. I've run across a few with different "logos" on them that have been out-of-spec, but that's more the exception than the rule. As far as the more expensive "boutique" lowers (i.e. "billet") there won't be any difference in quality of performance. Some just like to spend money on higher-dollar items, that's all. Others (like me) like to keep the lower "matched" to the upper, as far as "logos" go. It just comes down to personal preference. If you are unlucky enough to get ahold of an "out-of-spec" lower, aside from the inconvenience (i.e. THE WAIT:mad:), all vendors/manufacturers that I know of will take care of the situation with little, if any, problem(s). Hope that helps 'ya.:)

FlyingPen
04-25-2008, 7:54 AM
Supposedly the POF Lowers have failed in carbine classes... as in they've cracked.

Ronco
04-25-2008, 7:59 AM
Supposedly the POF Lowers have failed in carbine classes... as in they've cracked.

BLASPHEMY!

blasphemy

noun

1. An act of disrespect or impiety toward something regarded as sacred: desecration, profanation, sacrilege, violation. See sacred/profane.

;)

Olav
04-25-2008, 8:36 AM

I think you are confusing

POF - "Point of Failure" with "Patriot Ordinance Factory".

PoF is a common engineering term to describe the point the item being tested fails.

The lowers reached their PoF. Not POF lowers failed.

:cool2:

FlyingPen
04-25-2008, 8:44 AM
Nope. I mean specifically POF lowers. It was from a discussion on what's stronger, a forged lower receiver or a billet lower made from a block of forged metal. IIRC, the POF point of failure was the pivot pin area.

Hopi
04-25-2008, 9:17 AM
UCLA, I read that thread by Xenophobe awhile ago. It was excellent. I thought I found it on Gunwiki, but I can not find it anywhere now. Do you know where it went?

Try ar15.com

Sgt Raven
04-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Try ar15.com

No it's on here. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=50947

rkt88edmo
04-25-2008, 12:23 PM
There is so much variation even from the same labels between different lots. If you really want to pick a pretty one, find a dealer with a good selection and hand pick from a bunch of them. Find a dealer who will rub a little CLP on them as well because in general they won't look as nice dry.

aplinker
04-25-2008, 2:15 PM
There is so much variation even from the same labels between different lots. If you really want to pick a pretty one, find a dealer with a good selection and hand pick from a bunch of them. Find a dealer who will rub a little CLP on them as well because in general they won't look as nice dry.

+1 this is your best choice... however, i will suggest ANY will work (short of a big issue)