PDA

View Full Version : What stocks do you guys like?

5150Marcelo
04-24-2008, 1:24 AM
My first OLL build is almost done. CMMG lower, Colt 24" SS FF upper, Magpul Grip, now I just need a stock. What would you guys prefer for this (varmint rifle) build. Let me know. I need some ideas. Thanks!

SFFRONTMAN
04-24-2008, 1:26 AM
My personal favorite is still the A2 stock.

mattmcg
04-24-2008, 1:29 AM
I second that. Get an A2 stock with a monsterman grip, no flash hider and no forward pistol grip so that you can enjoy the benefits of dropping your mags......

Otherwise if you're looking for a fixed mag build, I'm an LMT SOPMOD fan although I wouldn't buy one now until their newer version is released with the integrated QD (June release I believe).

jandmtv
04-24-2008, 1:29 AM
Ace Skeleton Stock

aplinker
04-24-2008, 1:44 AM
On a Varmint rifle, go with an A2 or a Magpul PRS.

J_Rock
04-24-2008, 1:52 AM
UBR

apbrian112
04-24-2008, 1:52 AM
if going with a MMG, definately the A2... it blends the best so the MMG doesn't look so out of place, but it looks like you're going with a bb/p50 build in which case i'd go with the PRS.

5150Marcelo
04-24-2008, 1:54 AM
Im liking the PRS so far, but wanna see what else is out there that has similar features as the PRS

5150Marcelo
04-24-2008, 1:57 AM
UBR

Does the UBR have the adjustable cheek riser like the PRS? I am looking ad pictures, and it looks adjustable (up and down) but the pictures I see are of the UBR with the cheek riser down...

Blacktail 8541
04-24-2008, 7:38 AM
Does the UBR have the adjustable cheek riser like the PRS? I am looking ad pictures, and it looks adjustable (up and down) but the pictures I see are of the UBR with the cheek riser down...

No it does not.

To the OP, The A2 stock is hard to beat on a varmit build. I have had the PRS and liked it. But it is a very heavy stock that is pricey for the benifits you get. A cheek riser is not needed on the vast majority of builds, but the shorter length of pull can be an asset. A cheaper way to get the same is to get an A1 butt stock with an adjustable butt plate. Also, the flat bottom is nice when shooting from the bench.

aplinker
04-24-2008, 11:56 AM
A heavy stock is preferable opposite a varmint barrel, IMHO.

The PRS stock is just nice for precision shooting, though I can't think of anything else I would want it on.

I think its look complements the long barrel, too.

No it does not.

To the OP, The A2 stock is hard to beat on a varmit build. I have had the PRS and liked it. But it is a very heavy stock that is pricey for the benifits you get. A cheek riser is not needed on the vast majority of builds, but the shorter length of pull can be an asset. A cheaper way to get the same is to get an A1 butt stock with an adjustable butt plate. Also, the flat bottom is nice when shooting from the bench.

SuperSet
04-24-2008, 12:06 PM
if going with a MMG, definately the A2... it blends the best so the MMG doesn't look so out of place, but it looks like you're going with a bb/p50 build in which case i'd go with the PRS.

If the length of pull on an A2 is too long for you, an A1 or as I prefer, the Sully stock. A fixed stock will also help the rifle balance better.

ar15barrels
04-24-2008, 12:08 PM
M16 stock.
It's the same length as the later A1 stock, but with a rubber buttpad instead of the trapdoor.
It shoulders better than most stocks due to the rounded top corner.

Jicko
04-24-2008, 12:12 PM
I have A2, AceFX Skeleton, and UBR.

Ace is actually the most comfortable... for your face....

UBR is the most balancing.... for the heavy front...

A2 is a good and cheap solution.... perfect for a MMG build, but in a precision build, I prefers pistol grip... and i don't have to speed reload anyways.... and other issue for the A2 is that w/ a 24" barrel, it make the gun real LONG... :D

I've tried PRS... but I don't really think an AR needs an adjustable cheek rest....

Bottomline, if $$ is of no issue, get the UBR. If you wanna go cheap, go with A2....

GenLee
04-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Varmit=A2

RECCE556
04-24-2008, 1:20 PM
Even for a Varmit rig, I would get a collapsable like Vltor E-MOD, LMT SOPMOD or the Magpul UBR. The reason is because that way you can adjust your LOP and for transportation, you can make that long rifle a little bit shorter which never hurts. Honestly, the collapsable stock are so good and solid now (well, at least the quality ones are) that there's no reason not to go with one.

Bottomline, if $$ is of no issue, get the UBR. If you wanna go cheap, go with A2....
I agree...

Ech0Sierra
04-24-2008, 6:36 PM
In no particular order...
ACE Stock
MagPul CTR
A2 Stock
ACE M4 SOCOM Stock
MagPul PRS

CSACANNONEER
04-24-2008, 7:00 PM
I like A2s for off-hand shooting. If your intention is to have a dedicated benchrest rifle that will mainly be shot off front and rear rests, look at the ALS stock. I really like shooting my ALS stock off my Action Gunworks rear rest.

Toolbox X
04-24-2008, 11:43 PM
U-15

:shifty: