PDA

View Full Version : delete.

d23g
04-23-2008, 10:12 PM
delete.

Hopi
04-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Welcome to the forum!

What kind of build are you thinking about?

jandmtv
04-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Welcome to the forum.

how much money are you willing to spend?

with the list you have up.....

1. LMT
2. CMMG (i would say CMMG is just as good as LMT, I own 2 of them and love them)
3. RRA
4. Bushy
5. Stag.

djslik408
04-23-2008, 10:26 PM
so many choices!!! That really depends on you though.

aplinker
04-23-2008, 10:33 PM
It all depends on what you want to build. Just picking a company doesn't really do it.

In order to best give advice I would suggest starting with:

1.) How far (yds) do you plan to shoot?
2.) hunting of any type?
3.) what kind of shooting (on the move, competition, tactical, from the bench, etc.)
4.) how much do you shoot?
5.) how accurate does it need to be (in MOA)? do you reload or use match ammo?
6.) what kind of CA compliance do you plan on using?

All of these will help us help you.

randy
04-24-2008, 12:26 AM
Vltor or JP

5150Marcelo
04-24-2008, 12:28 AM
WWW.NoveskeRifleWorks.com

redcliff
04-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Colt is my favorite :)

ar15barrels
04-24-2008, 12:39 AM
(i would say CMMG is just as good as LMT, I own 2 of them and love them)

Sorry, NO.

And for the record, CMMG, Stag and RRA are all going to be CMT made receivers so any differences between them are not going to matter.

jandmtv
04-24-2008, 12:48 AM
Sorry, NO.

And for the record, CMMG, Stag and RRA are all going to be CMT made receivers so any differences between them are not going to matter.

i was talking about complete uppers, not just the upper receivers. which is what i think the OP was asking about.

ar15barrels
04-24-2008, 12:52 AM
i was talking about complete uppers, not just the upper receivers. which is what i think the OP was asking about.

Well, in a carbine gassed setup, LMT is certainly better quality than CMMG, RRA or Stag.
Given the choice between all 4 of those, I would recommend a mid-length though.
This rules LMT and Stag out right away.
Depending on what you want in features, CMMG or RRA are both fine when properly setup.

tenpercentfirearms
04-24-2008, 6:10 AM
Well, in a carbine gassed setup, LMT is certainly better quality than CMMG, RRA or Stag.
Given the choice between all 4 of those, I would recommend a mid-length though.
This rules LMT and Stag out right away.
Depending on what you want in features, CMMG or RRA are both fine when properly setup.

What? The great Randall has made an error! This is a rare day indeed. LMT MRP 16" barrels are mid length and some of the finest uppers out there. Of course you were just thinking about their standard uppers so I understand.

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_21&products_id=485

ar15barrels
04-24-2008, 7:47 AM
What? The great Randall has made an error! This is a rare day indeed. LMT MRP 16" barrels are mid length and some of the finest uppers out there. Of course you were just thinking about their standard uppers so I understand.

No error, I made an omission. ;)
I purposely left the 16" MRP out of the equation.
Anyone comparing Stag to RRA was not going to buy one.

mltrading
04-24-2008, 10:11 AM
I'd suggest a LMT plain upper half with heavily custom work.:D

If you don't have budget limit, get a JP upper half, or get a Tubb2K (complete rifle).

vega
04-24-2008, 10:52 AM
2. CMMG (i would say CMMG is just as good as LMT, I own 2 of them and love them)
You have LMT as well?

Hopi
04-24-2008, 5:58 PM
thanks!, well i have an lcw15 lower to start with.. gonna go with a bullet button as well and not sure what else yet.

Well, i would humbly recommend building a reliable and basic rifle that will help you learn the AR platform. LMT has reliable and moderately-priced uppers, as do Stag (opinions seem to vary on Stag), CMMG, Bravo Co., and Bushmaster.

Go check out the .223 picture thread, think rationally (just try anyway) about what you need the gun for, assess your experience/skill......and get that credit card ready!

aplinker
04-24-2008, 7:10 PM
thanks!, well i have an lcw15 lower to start with.. gonna go with a bullet button as well and not sure what else yet.

Go back and look at the questions I asked you, then look through the picture thread, and ask yourself those questions.

Think about what shooting range/desert/hunting area you frequent... what you want it to do for you... etc.

Don't be afraid to say, "I don't know." That tells us you're really green and will help us understand what to suggest.

Already I'm guessing you're either pretty new to rifles or you're really uncertain of the AR platform, so I'd suggest this:

Get a RRA LPK with the 2-stage NM trigger from LanWorld, Inc.
Get a CMMG A3 mid-length gas 16" MedCon (medium contour) complete upper with full-auto carrier. Skip all the upgrades - they can be done later.
Get a rear flip-up sight (Troy, Matech, ARMS, GG&G - don't skimp ;) )
Get a good buttstock - I would suggest the LMT SOPMOD, VLTOR EMOD or Magpul CTR (in that order)
Get a few mags and a lot of ammo, then go shooting - a lot.

Add optic when desired. Add handguard when desired.

River Jack
04-24-2008, 7:40 PM
Love my MEGA!