PDA

View Full Version : 80 Grain .223

cypher
04-23-2008, 5:12 PM
I did a search first and was not able to find an answer to this question. I know an 80 grain bullet will not fit into an AR mag and requires a special chamber. How does one know if the chamber will take an 80 grain bullet? Is the chamber marked in a special way? I am looking at the J&T Dist. 24" match-15 upper and would like to know if a 80 gain will fit. The use of 80 grain will be a long ways off for me but i would like to have the ability in the future.

Thx!!

1lostinspace
04-23-2008, 5:18 PM
I did a search first and was not able to find an answer to this question. I know an 80 grain bullet will not fit into an AR mag and requires a special chamber. How does one know if the chamber will take an 80 grain bullet? Is the chamber marked in a special way? I am looking at the J&T Dist. 24" match-15 upper and would like to know if a 80 gain will fit. The use of 80 grain will be a long ways off for me but i would like to have the ability in the future.

Thx!!

Why go there just use SMK 77 it will fit your mag 2.26COL
Don't waste your time with that.

ocabj
04-23-2008, 5:30 PM
The way I would check to see if a chamber can shoot 80gr is to use a Stoney Point / Hornady OAL gauge to see if the 80gr when touching the lands will still have the ogive of the bullet above the neck/lip of the brass. If the ogive/secant is below the lip of the brass when the bullet is seated such that the cartridge will actually fit in the chamber with a closed bolt, then your chamber's leade is too short. It's also possible that whoever cut the chamber on the barrel stamped the barrel with the chamber type (.223 Remington, .223 Wylde, 5.56 NATO, etc).