PDA

View Full Version : I thought it was all BS...

SoCalAR
04-23-2008, 1:45 PM
until I actually started my first build.

Those detents really can fly far as a mofo!!

jimbo1747
04-23-2008, 1:56 PM
:rofl2:

Yep, took me a 1/2 hour to find that stupid pin after it shot across the room!!!

ironcross
04-23-2008, 2:03 PM
What I read ( Havnt got to build yet.) that if you use a razor blade to hold the detent. It sounds pretty easy tho. If you tried it let me know if it worked.

mltrading
04-23-2008, 2:08 PM
Obviously, you did not search related topic about lower assembling prior to your build. Just put everything in a big ziplock bag. You won't need the "oh-shoot" kit ever.:D

MadRiverArms
04-23-2008, 2:23 PM
I must have gotten lucky or maybe it's just years of assembling equipment. I couldn't wait to assemble my lower so on Saturday when my bolt catch roll pin punch came in I just went for it. I was able to hold the detent while getting the take down pin in place without any trouble.

-G

Toolbox X
04-23-2008, 2:26 PM
I recommend you buy spare parts. Many of them.

Maybe I should see if I can order a few thousand of each of the small AR detents/springs/etc, and get a super cheap price. Then repackage them in quantities of 20 or 50 or ??? and sell them to CG members at my cost.

$0.50 each is crazy for those little springs and detents. I sure wouldn't mind having 20 spare ones laying around.

SunriseF150
04-23-2008, 2:32 PM
Using a razor blade is a little tricky too. Easiest way is to stick a large punch through the opposite side of the pivot pin hole and use that to hold down the detent, then insert the pivot pin while guiding out the punch. First time I did it in a bag and it was still hard using the razor blade. I don't even use a bag anymore with the punch method.

Danield
04-23-2008, 2:33 PM
i lost my detent pin a few times. luckily i was able to find them pretty quickly.

Danield
04-23-2008, 2:36 PM
Using a razor blade is a little tricky too. Easiest way is to stick a large punch through the opposite side of the pivot pin hole and use that to hold down the detent, then insert the pivot pin while guiding out the punch. First time I did it in a bag and it was still hard using the razor blade. I don't even use a bag anymore with the punch method.

thats how i finally got mine in. good info.

DrunkSkunk
04-23-2008, 2:39 PM
guess i've just been lucky or something, over the past 15 years i've assembled and disassembled thousands of times with no springs or detents flying anywhere.

Danield
04-23-2008, 2:44 PM
guess i've just been lucky or something, over the past 15 years i've assembled and disassembled thousands of times with no springs or detents flying anywhere.

thats because you are so great and wonderful. you're our hero.

duenor
04-23-2008, 2:46 PM
I do all my small parts critical work in a huge 50 gallon clear plastic tub that I got from target, laid on its side. things go boink, well, they hit one of the sides and then that ends that. make sure that the lip of the tub doesn't hang over the side of the table though so the bottom slopes downward.

DrunkSkunk
04-23-2008, 2:49 PM
thats because you are so great and wonderful. you're our hero.

That's true.

Solidsnake87
04-23-2008, 2:53 PM
The first thing ANY ar will shoot is a spring!

SoCalAR
04-23-2008, 2:55 PM
What I read ( Havnt got to build yet.) that if you use a razor blade to hold the detent. It sounds pretty easy tho. If you tried it let me know if it worked.

I didn't know about any tricks, I just printed off the assembly guides, both here and at arfcom, thinking I would be fine. After a couple of launches I ended up having my buddy on the ready with a small flathead screwdriver while i pushed everything in, he covered the hole and I wiggled the pivot pin in. It took a couple tries but we got it and I'm still sort of amazed wedidn't mar the finish.

I had a Stag LPK and ended up with an extra detent though...:(

Is there a 3rd spot for one that I missed? IIRC I only used one for each pin and everything seems to be working...

Lon Moer
04-23-2008, 2:57 PM
I
Is there a 3rd spot for one that I missed? IIRC I only used one for each pin and everything seems to be working...
Front and rear pin and safety selector. ;)

SoCalAR
04-23-2008, 3:00 PM
Front and rear pin and safety selector. ;)

You're right. Forgot about the safety selector, but I got that in there also. Must have just gotten a fourth one in my kit. I'll make sure to save it for the next build in case I launch one again!

Eric_Oh
04-23-2008, 3:01 PM
the razor blade trick worked pretty well for me.

PolishMike
04-23-2008, 3:10 PM
the razor blade trick worked pretty well for me.

Im clumsy enough as it is. I don't think adding a sharp object into the equation would help me.

That being said - Several lowers built and no detents/springs lost.

DedEye
04-23-2008, 3:10 PM
I had the flying detent problem with my first build (was able to find the pin each time thankfully), but with my next two builds I had no problem, even though I was using the same technique.

I use a large punch/screw like piece of metal (bought it at Home Depot and don't remember what it actually is) and push it through the front pivot pin hole, then hold it down while I guide the pivot pin into place. Was a cinch to do the last few builds.

Fitz87
04-23-2008, 3:49 PM
I finished my lower a few days ago, lost the front swivel detent when it went flying across the room into a black hole somewhere, had to order another from PK firearms, I just used a pocket knife the second time and it worked fine.

Desert_AIP
04-23-2008, 4:10 PM
I did a write up a little while back on how to install the detent using a clevis pin. It's the easiest method I found.

Front Detent Install (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=362116)

redcliff
04-23-2008, 4:16 PM
I did a write up a little while back on how to install the detent using a clevis pin. It's the easiest method I found.

Thanks again for writing that up, I've used it on all my OLL builds.

Desert_AIP
04-23-2008, 4:22 PM

My pleasure. :)
I'm glad somebody found it useful.

762cavalier
04-23-2008, 4:23 PM

Same here. Works perfectly and I never launch springs (from an AR build that is.;):D)

SoCalAR
04-23-2008, 4:36 PM

That looks like a snap! I'll remember that for next time.

Thanks!

Blacktail 8541
04-23-2008, 5:59 PM
That is a good ideal. I always used forcepts and a jewlers screwdriver. Your method seems a lot easier.

Blue
04-23-2008, 6:03 PM
until I actually started my first build.

Those detents really can fly far as a mofo!!

:rofl2: my kid is GREAT at finding these things. Whenever I put one together I make sure he "helps" me out. :rofl2:

Sal
04-23-2008, 6:03 PM
You're right. Forgot about the safety selector, but I got that in there also. Must have just gotten a fourth one in my kit. I'll make sure to save it for the next build in case I launch one again!

There should be one with the bolt catch spring too.

tmuller
04-23-2008, 6:05 PM
Just do your builds in the shower with the drain plugged...simple enough for me...

RedDawn
04-23-2008, 6:47 PM
Don't forget eye protection...:Pirate:

I remember it took me half an hour to find mine, then I went and searched on the forums for better ways of doing this...doh. I should have known, read instructions first before attempting any assembly.:D

scfast
04-23-2008, 7:41 PM
I don't get what all the fuss is about the front take down pin detent always seems like the easiest part of the build no thingamajigs required

jacques
04-23-2008, 8:03 PM
I lost a detent spring last week. Pissed me off. I couldn't find it anywhere.

Charliegone
04-23-2008, 8:33 PM
I'm telling you man, use the bath tub (make sure you plug all holes) that way if it flies away, you'll be able to quickly find it, especially if it's a white bath tub.:)

NORCALWRECKCHASER
04-23-2008, 8:40 PM
I had a detent fly across the room once, my cat just happened to be with me. She watched it hit the window, bounce off a wall then when it hit the floor she pounced on it. I never would have found it, but she did. AWWW what a cute story, kittys and guns.:rofl2:

jacques
04-23-2008, 9:35 PM
I wonder if there is a place for detents, like there is a place for coathangers.

JagerTroop
04-23-2008, 9:48 PM
Just do your builds in the shower with the drain plugged...simple enough for me...

Or get one of these. :p

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r189/SiksPak88/bubble_boy.jpg

Just build your lower in a bubble, and no more lost detents, springs, etc.