PDA

View Full Version : Airline Fails To Report Gun Stolen From Baggage

Nylo
04-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Interesting article.

Click for story (http://www.nbc10.com/news/14590188/detail.html)

At the San Jose airport when you check a handgun (South West) they will take your TSA approved case, open and unlocked to a location where they say their scanner is at. I thought container must be lock, buy the owner, and in front of the agent. This always makes me nervous.

TSA Firearms Travel Requirements (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm)

Nylo

USN CHIEF
04-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Well, kind of scary.. Good thing he got his money back..

mymonkeyman
04-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Yea I bet a TSA employee is the one stealing them.

Spaceghost
04-23-2008, 12:45 PM
When BB63Squid and I went flew out of San Jose to attend a four day rifle class at Front Sight, they pulled that crap on us. We were pissed and basically it came down to, if you want to get on that plane, this is how we are going to handle your firearms. Nothing was missing, but we were ticked about the whole situation.

Gryff
04-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Okay, here's a hint...

Meanwhile, between January and September, US Airways reported more missing and stolen items than any other major airline in the country.

Any clue who you shouldn't fly when traveling with a firearm (or traveling at all)?

bg
04-23-2008, 1:35 PM
Ya know what else pours salt on the wound ? Almost all Airlines
are going to charge an additional 25.00 dollars for a second
checked bag. I was reading this just the other day. So if you
have one bag or suitcase fine, but if the Airlines want to, I
suppose they could charge you for your hard case that the
TSA req's you have to get the weapon on the plane ?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/24255046
The new fee of $25 for a second bag is being levied by Continental, Delta, Northwest, United and US Airways. The low-fare carrier AirTran has announced that it will charge $10 for a second checked bag. Airlines have long levied fees for checking a third bag. Some carriers have recently increased those as well, and the fees on the major carriers now run as high as $100.

dustoff31
04-23-2008, 1:41 PM
Ya know what else pours salt on the wound ? Almost all Airlines
are going to charge an additional 25.00 dollars for a second
checked bag. I was reading this just the other day. So if you
have one bag or suitcase fine, but if the Airlines want to, I
suppose they could charge you for your hard case that the
TSA req's you have to get it on the plane ?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/24255046

This was on Fox news just moments ago. It's 25.00 EACH WAY, for a second bag. American will charge 100.00 each way for a 3rd bag.

Nylo
04-28-2008, 2:21 PM
When BB63Squid and I went flew out of San Jose to attend a four day rifle class at Front Sight, they pulled that crap on us. We were pissed and basically it came down to, if you want to get on that plane, this is how we are going to handle your firearms. Nothing was missing, but we were ticked about the whole situation.

Like I said I don't think this complies with TSA's regulations. For therm to take a unlocked firearm to a undisclosed location, I think, is a violation of their regs. One time I offered to follow them with my gun (locked) to the scanner. They looked at me as if I were naked!

Its just a creepy feeling to watch a stranger walk away with your unlocked gun through a mystery door. I will have to say as of date I have had no problems with SWA at San Jose.

Spaceghost
04-28-2008, 2:45 PM
You're darn right it doesn't jive with the regs, but we had no choice. Told us point blank, if you want to get on your flight with your firearms, this is how we do things.

Like I said I don't think this complies with TSA's regulations. For therm to take a unlocked firearm to a undisclosed location, I think, is a violation of their regs. One time I offered to follow them with my gun (locked) to the scanner. They looked at me as if I were naked!

Its just a creepy feeling to watch a stranger walk away with your unlocked gun through a mystery door. I will have to say as of date I have had no problems with SWA at San Jose.

Fate
04-28-2008, 7:54 PM
You're darn right it doesn't jive with the regs, but we had no choice. Told us point blank, if you want to get on your flight with your firearms, this is how we do things.Were you dealing with a supervisor? Ever drop the dime on them with TSA HQ? Cowboys get reigned in fast when the suits get involved.