PDA

View Full Version : Pre-1899 gun questions...

pullnshoot25
04-22-2008, 10:34 PM
As far as I can tell, pre-1899 guns have pretty much the same status as airguns. Having said that... can you make an SBR, SBS, or silencer for one or would that make a pre-1899 gun fall under NFA law?

USN CHIEF
04-22-2008, 10:51 PM
As far as I can tell, pre-1899 guns have pretty much the same status as airguns. Having said that... can you make an SBR, SBS, or silencer for one or would that make a pre-1899 gun fall under NFA law?

Are you serious:confused:

NeoWeird
04-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Not sure about making them an SBR/S (I don't see why not but I could easily be wrong), but as for suppressors I KNOW that the ATF views any airgun or paintball suppressor, which will also work with a firearm, to be a real firearm suppressor. Most airguns have to have theirs welded in place.

Remember, the ATF doesn't say it has to suppress sounds, just modify it.

JPglee1
04-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Once you shorten a Pre-99 "antique" into an SBR or SBS you have created a "firearm" under the rules of the 68 GCA... Unfortunately this means NO its not legal to make a SBR or SBS from an antique.

If it were, you can bet Id have a 12" 12GA coach gun....

WITH that said, there ARE some pre-99s that were factory shorties that ARE legal (and command a huge premium) I know Winchester made an 1873 w/a 14" barrel at some point and it IS legal to own.

Good luck

J

P.S. Muzzle stuffers do NOT apply to this...so if you have a pre-99 black powder shotgun you CAN cut it down as short as you want, just no cartridge guns apply....good idea tho, we've all had it I think :D

pullnshoot25
04-23-2008, 6:45 AM
Are you serious:confused:

Oh no, I started this thread because I wasn't

pullnshoot25
04-23-2008, 6:46 AM
Once you shorten a Pre-99 "antique" into an SBR or SBS you have created a "firearm" under the rules of the 68 GCA... Unfortunately this means NO its not legal to make a SBR or SBS from an antique.

If it were, you can bet Id have a 12" 12GA coach gun....

WITH that said, there ARE some pre-99s that were factory shorties that ARE legal (and command a huge premium) I know Winchester made an 1873 w/a 14" barrel at some point and it IS legal to own.

Good luck

J

P.S. Muzzle stuffers do NOT apply to this...so if you have a pre-99 black powder shotgun you CAN cut it down as short as you want, just no cartridge guns apply....good idea tho, we've all had it I think :D

Very good to know. Why oh why couldn't they leave a loophole?