PDA

View Full Version : Oakland Neighbors Fight Back

cackinthebox
04-22-2008, 8:57 PM
i wonder if this was Oaklander

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/22/BAO5109V45.DTL

(04-22) 17:32 PDT Oakland - --

A North Oakland resident who shot and critically injured a suspected burglar today at the resident's home was not arrested, police said, in the third case in a week in which a would-be crime victim in the city has fought back with gunfire.

Police identified the suspect in the alleged break-in, which occurred at 8:15 a.m. in the 600 block of 59th Street, as 31-year-old Oakland parolee. Nathan Cooper, who was in stable condition at a hospital this afternoon with a gunshot wound in his chest, will be arrested for burglary and parole violation, said Officer Roland Holmgren, a police spokesman.

The resident, whom Holmgren described as a middle-aged male, told police he was home alone when he heard a window break and a commotion or noise. He then saw a man "holding something over his head, which he believed to be some sort of firearm," Holmgren said. "In fear for his safety, the victim fired two shots, striking the suspect one time in the chest."

Cooper was outside reaching inside the house when shot, Holmgren said. He ran around the corner onto Shattuck Avenue, where he was found by police who had been alerted by a 911 call. Burglary tools were found at the scene, Holmgren said. No gun was found on Cooper.

Police do not plan to press charges against the resident, who had called police to report the shooting at about the same time as they received the 911 call about Cooper being found wounded, Holmgren said.

Today's shooting took place a block from where 59th Street resident Patrick McCullough shot and wounded a 15-year-old boy outside his home in February 2005 after 15 young men surrounded him in his front yard, shouting, "Kill the snitch." The shooting capped a series of confrontations between McCullough and young men who police believed were drug dealers.

"We're going to defend ourselves by any means necessary," McCullough, who is running for Oakland City Council, said after today's shooting. He was not home at the time of the shooting but said he returned quickly after receiving a call from his alarmed wife.

He said residents and businesses need to arm and defend themselves because Oakland lacks enough police officers and effective anti-crime programs, including productive opportunities for young people.

"It shows crime is out control and that the people in charge of bringing crime under control are not doing their job," he said.

On Saturday night, an armed man who tried to rob Ed's Liquors on 23rd Avenue in East Oakland was shot three times and wounded by the store owner, who also was wounded in the leg in an exchange of gunfire, police said. Two days before that, a clerk at Wah Fay 8th Avenue Corner Market shot and wounded and 18-year-old Pittsburg man who allegedly tried to rob the store.

Holmgren said Cooper lived in the same area as this morning's shooting. He said he did not have specific information about Cooper's criminal history but added that the suspect was on parole and probation and "is no stranger to the legal system."

Asked today at a news conference whether police have a position on citizens taking the law into their own hands, Holmgren said: "I don't think they are taking the law into their own hands. I think they're doing their God-given right, which is to defend themselves and their property."

But Holmgren cautioned that using deadly force is not always justified and that citizens, like police, can be held accountable for their actions.

A man at a home close to the house where Cooper was shot said drug-dealing occurs continuously on the street.

"They do drugs all day long," said the man, who asked not to be identified to avoid potential retribution. "It's really, really bad."

He said many problems seem concentrated around Klippers barber shop around the corner on Shattuck Avenue where one night two weeks ago he heard between 17 and 20 gunshots, followed by three men fleeing on foot and attempting to run between houses on the street.

oaklander
04-22-2008, 9:09 PM
LOL - it wasn't me, but if I caught someone trying to break into my house, the result would be very similar. . .

:D

p.s. - I predict East Bay gun shops will start doing some good business within the next few weeks. In fact, one of the parking lot attendants who parks my car in San Francisco was just asking me today about getting a gun. I told him about the 10 day wait, and that it is hard to get a CCW in this area. Turns out that he lives in Oakland, and that his friends were among those who were robbed recently. He now wants a pistol for protection.

I also found out from reading some of the news stories that the Yemeni Merchants Association (a lot of the liquor stores in Oakland are owned by people from Yemen) appears to be telling its members to arm themselves at their stores.

I for one, WOULD NOT want to rob a store run by Yemenis. A good friend is from there, and according to him, guns are a large part of the culture. As a kid he played with a toy Mosin, and he tells me that every male carries a Kalashnikov.

CA_Libertarian
04-22-2008, 9:15 PM
Asked today at a news conference whether police have a position on citizens taking the law into their own hands, Holmgren said: "I don't think they are taking the law into their own hands. I think they're doing their God-given right, which is to defend themselves and their property."

It warms my heart to hear this from a LEO from one of the more liberal areas of the state.

Saigon1965
04-22-2008, 9:22 PM
Kudos to the homeowner.

dwtt
04-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Shattuck and 59th! I used to live on 62nd , just 3 blocks away. I always had a loaded shotgun in my closet. There's a lot of drug dealing and street crime in this neighborhood, and I'm glad the resident shot the burglar. The only bad part is the burglar didn't die.

mymonkeyman
04-22-2008, 11:25 PM
I wonder what exact firearms / ammo these people are using such that so many of the perps live? Although shot placement certainly has a lot to do with it, I bet a lot of these people have ball ammo in their handguns.

CCWFacts
04-22-2008, 11:31 PM
I for one, WOULD NOT want to rob a store run by Yemenis.

They have none of the "liberal guilt" that would deter some native Berkleyites from pulling the trigger. They're not the types to hesitate on such things. I do hope they get training, though. Just because they have a lot of guns over there doesn't replace the need for professional tactics training.

I wonder what exact firearms / ammo these people are using such that so many of the perps live? Although shot placement certainly has a lot to do with it, I bet a lot of these people have ball ammo in their handguns.

Yeah, they really need to make better choices. In some shop situations it might be practical to have a shotgun available, obviously, far superior to any handgun. If the perp lived, it means the gun may have failed to instantly stop the attack. With a shotgun that is unusual.

razorx
04-22-2008, 11:39 PM
I thought I had read somewhere on here that an arrest would be an automatic procedure even with apparently justified home defense?

Also, unusual for a spokesperson to make the statement of "I don't think they are taking the law into their own hands. I think they're doing their God-given right, which is to defend themselves and their property."

Holmgreen is going to catch heat for that statement and it wouldn't be surprising if he does not function in that role for much longer.

mymonkeyman
04-22-2008, 11:49 PM
If we have a god given right to defend ourselves, why do we need a CCW permit, and why does your department deny the vast majority of CCW permit requests Mr. Holmgren?

fairfaxjim
04-23-2008, 12:36 AM
Officer Holmgren might not be so willing to admit citizens have a right to defend themselves when his bosses find out. Just a day or two earlier, Deputy Police Chief Dave Kozicki was all over KCBS in a story titled "Oakland Police Worried About Increased Vigilantism." I guess Holmgren didn't get the official party line memo. What I always say, may be a few rank and file LEO's that believe in citizens rights, but the admin and decision makers are wholly against citizens having firearms. The LEO's that are even aware that we have a right to defend ourselves have been trained (PC for brainwashed) otherwise.

It's unfortunate that the politicians maintain their head in the sand views when a good healthy serving of citizens defending themselves would do more to straighten up that Oakland mess that a platoon of new cops and a ship load of police overtime.

CCWFacts
04-23-2008, 12:46 AM
Note that it's important to distinguish between self-defense and vigilantism. Self-defense is a lawful use of force. Vigilantism is a criminal activity. I'm making a point of this because the anti-gun propagandists try to confuse the two, by saying that CCW holders are out for "street justice" or that a home owner who defends himself is a "vigilante". There's no overlap between "vigilantism" and lawful self-defense, just like there's no overlap between assault and lawful self-defense.

battleship
04-23-2008, 12:46 AM
Well its great to see some one living in Oakland did not follow the handgun buy back program, if he had he might be six foot under now, this case speaks volumes as to why we should have handguns in our homes its our only defence, in a situation like this the police are just there for mop up and place yellow tape from one side of the block to the over.

Im so happy to read about this good ending.

WokMaster1
04-23-2008, 8:29 AM
someone should approach the Yemenis & offer to broker a AK group buy with MMGs. I'm sure they all already have preban mags acquired before 2000:D

Riodog
04-23-2008, 9:34 AM
Gee, Wasn't our AG the mayor of Oakland? Thought he was gonna make it safer.

Rio

jimbo1747
04-23-2008, 12:47 PM

They're probably using small-caliber, low-quality guns. I'm not familiar with area, but I imagine that it's a working class neighborhood where families are barely making ends meat. So unfortunately there just isn't enough money at the end of the month to buy a Sig and Hydrashoks (or to go out the range and practice for that matter).

But whatever that resident had, I'm glad he had it and did what he did!

Mitch
04-23-2008, 4:13 PM
It warms my heart to hear this from a LEO from one of the more liberal areas of the state.

Well, he won't be making Lieutenant any time soon.