PDA

View Full Version : Chip McCormick AR15 trigger recall

C.G.
04-22-2008, 2:41 PM
Just received this today, those of you that bought CMC Match Triggers last year should pay attention:

"Chip McCormick Corporation is voluntarily recalling all CMC Match trigger modules sold from May 2007 through December 2007.

The potential defect can cause abnormal wear to the suface of the disconnector with usage. When this happens the trigger may cause the rifle to fire more than one shot with each pull of the trigger.

If you have purchased a CMC AR15 Match Trigger Module ( Products 91503, AR15 single stage flat small pin trigger; 91507 AR15 single stage flat large pin trigger; 91501 AR15 single stage curved small pin trigger; 91505 AR15 single stage curved large pin trigger) during the period of May 2007 through December 2007 please call the toll free number or visit our website to initiate a free return and product replacement.

888-879-4612

http://recallqa.com/CMCAR15 "

azndmd
04-22-2008, 3:47 PM
Just received this today, those of you that bought CMC Match Triggers last year should pay attention:

"Chip McCormick Corporation is voluntarily recalling all CMC Match trigger modules sold from May 2007 through December 2007.

The potential defect can cause abnormal wear to the suface of the disconnector with usage. When this happens the trigger may cause the rifle to fire more than one shot with each pull of the trigger.

If you have purchased a CMC AR15 Match Trigger Module ( Products 91503, AR15 single stage flat small pin trigger; 91507 AR15 single stage flat large pin trigger; 91501 AR15 single stage curved small pin trigger; 91505 AR15 single stage curved large pin trigger) during the period of May 2007 through December 2007 please call the toll free number or visit our website to initiate a free return and product replacement.

888-879-4612

http://recallqa.com/CMCAR15 "

uuhhhh...wouldn't that be a fun thing?:p .................just joking.

I seem to remember that they had some issues before, and that Chip McCormick took them off the market for a couple of months...was this about mid 2006?

C.G.
04-22-2008, 4:04 PM
uuhhhh...wouldn't that be a fun thing?:p .................just joking.

Yup, it could be fun, but it also could be a felony.

bohoki
04-22-2008, 5:41 PM
oh man can i register it as a post 86 dealer sample

arfan66
04-26-2008, 9:16 AM
Something is fishy with the online request......

The recall verbage states that they're recalling modules "purchased during the period of May 2007 through December 2007" but the date selection on the form gives you "Before May 2007" or "After December 2007".

Either choice is outside the date range. What gives?

I just called the number for my recall package (hope it's not a scam).

C.G.
04-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Something is fishy with the online request......

The recall verbage states that they're recalling modules "purchased during the period of May 2007 through December 2007" but the date selection on the form gives you "Before May 2007" or "After December 2007".

Either choice is outside the date range. What gives?

I just called the number for my recall package (hope it's not a scam).

It is not a scam, I received the info by mail from CMC. They got my info from Brownell's where I bought the trigger.

Ironballs
04-30-2008, 9:07 AM
I wonder...

-Will this recall be open and honored many years from now... as I do not want to pull apart my AR/have down time at the moment...
-Does this cause a dangerous 'slam-fire' condition, or only an illegal double tap (though non-slamfire)?

C.G.
04-30-2008, 3:25 PM
I wonder...

-Will this recall be open and honored many years from now... as I do not want to pull apart my AR/have down time at the moment...
-Does this cause a dangerous 'slam-fire' condition, or only an illegal double tap (though non-slamfire)?

I don't think any of us can answer that. Call CMC at the number supplied above or e-mail them.

alpha_romeo_XV
04-30-2008, 5:30 PM
My recall letter indicated it was for SINGLE stage triggers, yet I purchased a TWO stage from Midway.
They gave me a self addressed stamped padded envelope to return my trigger. What about my time to remove it, the time without the use of it, and my time to re-instal it. I hope they offering some sort of compensation for that.

randy
04-30-2008, 11:51 PM
They discontinued sale of their triggers a couple of years or more ago. Then came out with them again. I had a friend who bought one and while it didn't double it wasn't better than a mil spec trigger.

5150Marcelo
04-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Finally! A loop hole to potentially having a full auto! YES!!!!!!! :28::59::iggy::68::36::53:

C.G.
05-01-2008, 12:37 AM
They discontinued sale of their triggers a couple of years or more ago. Then came out with them again. I had a friend who bought one and while it didn't double it wasn't better than a mil spec trigger.

Both my double stage and my single stage are a lot better than mil spec. What kind of a trigger did your friend have?

trinydex
05-01-2008, 1:04 AM
Finally! A loop hole to potentially having a full auto! YES!!!!!!! :28::59::iggy::68::36::53:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bWWW1WOQpDk&feature=related

not really a loophole...

5150Marcelo
05-01-2008, 11:51 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bWWW1WOQpDk&feature=related

not really a loophole...

Sounds like everybody with CM triggers better get them back for the recall!

C.G.
05-14-2008, 3:42 PM
Update. Sent my trigger in. Not sure if they did anything to it or not, outside of placing a sticker on it, but the turn around time was 12 days including deliveries both ways.

ohsmily
05-14-2008, 3:45 PM

A loophole that leads directly to federal prosecution.

grammaton76
05-14-2008, 5:31 PM

No, the feds won't grandfather worn-down CM triggers, and there is no loophole here.

Just look at the mess behind the Atkins Accelerator stock, which was functionally just a spring-loaded bump-firing stock. ATF approved it, then later withdrew approval and made the company chase down and recall every stock they'd produced.

arfan66
05-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Well, I hope the one I sent in gets here soon. I just got my 6.8 SPC WOA barrel back from Harrison@AR Performance and I'd really like to see how that DMR chamber works out.

Jeff

5150Marcelo
05-17-2008, 10:43 PM
McCormick? Isnt that a seasoning company?????

randy
05-20-2008, 1:10 AM
He has one of the McCormick drop in triggers. For the basic better than stock trigger I'd get a RRA trigger.

AKman
05-20-2008, 6:43 AM
What about my time to remove it...and my time to re-instal it. I hope they offering some sort of compensation for that.

For the five minutes it should take you to remove and reinstall the trigger module, that would be worth about 50 cents. A small price to avoid a situation that could result in a felony conviction for possessing a fully automatic rifle.

cseabass
05-20-2008, 7:55 AM
My recall letter indicated it was for SINGLE stage triggers, yet I purchased a TWO stage from Midway.
They gave me a self addressed stamped padded envelope to return my trigger. What about my time to remove it, the time without the use of it, and my time to re-instal it. I hope they offering some sort of compensation for that.

its called not getting 3 hots and a cot...

give me a break...

alpha_romeo_XV
05-20-2008, 10:11 AM
I received a recall notice for a product I did not buy. Product flaw was mistake number 1, poor recall distribution was mistake number 2. Not very confidence inspiring.

Here is an example of why Japan has passed US car manufacturers. Poor design/testing, poor quality control, and enough consumers willing to take it in the a%# .
How many people burned to death in Ford Pintos in simple rear end collisions? How many US auto union workers have gone the way of the dinosaur?
A company’s reputation and consumer trust are hard to acquire and easy to loose, as anyone in competitive business would know. Some people forget it is increasingly a competitive world; perhaps they work in secure government jobs.

I work for a company where people would be fired for a recall that tarnished the company reputation. Too much foreign competition just waiting for each and any chink in the armor to make headway in the market. If we made a mistake, as McCormick did in this case, we would do far more to keep a good name brand and loyal customer base. The right thing to do was to send customers a new reliable replacement trigger first. That would put the inconvenience and cost where it belonged. And surely a better recall distribution list.

Because I could go to jail for McCormick’s mistake makes it less important for McCormick to treat a customer right? I don’t accept that line of thinking nor should anyone.

C.G.
05-20-2008, 4:40 PM
Chip McCormick is relying on other vendors for proper information, which is how I got my recall. Not all vendors keep proper bookkeeping.

alpha_romeo_XV, you do not know how many triggers were substandard, it could have been just one. I certainly haven't heard any problems with them and I am on several gun boards.

Are you suggesting that car manufacturers should send customers new cars in lieu of a recall?:rolleyes:

As far as I am concerned they've done fine by me.

cseabass
05-20-2008, 6:30 PM
i would think that you would be greatful they let you know theres an issue... they could let you find out on your own...

tacticalcity
08-14-2009, 1:14 PM

Mine sure as hell is better than a milspec trigger. Much, much lighter and smoother.

No way I am going to return this thing. Especially since they have dissapeared from the market. So far there are no issues. If ever an issue does present itself, I'll take corrective action. Then again, mine was outside the date range so I probably will never have an issue.

tig56
12-05-2009, 5:33 PM
I just found out about this recall and am furious with Chip McCormick! I purchased my Single Stage - Flat trigger from him in Nov. 2007. I bought it directly from him and still live in the same house it was then delivered to. The problem is the website he previously provided no longer exists. The current CM.com website pulls up a Japanese restaurant. Good food but not going to fix my trigger!

Does anyone have contact information for CM and would they please provide it? I'll be quite grateful for any assistance. Thank you!

Tig

C.G.
12-05-2009, 8:33 PM
I just found out about this recall and am furious with Chip McCormick! I purchased my Single Stage - Flat trigger from him in Nov. 2007. I bought it directly from him and still live in the same house it was then delivered to. The problem is the website he previously provided no longer exists. The current CM.com website pulls up a Japanese restaurant. Good food but not going to fix my trigger!

Does anyone have contact information for CM and would they please provide it? I'll be quite grateful for any assistance. Thank you!

Tig

Not sure what you were looking at, their website came up for me:
http://cmctriggers.com/

tig56
12-06-2009, 2:54 PM
CG,
Thank you very much for your information! The invoice that came with my trigger listed his address as www.chipmccormick.com. It now belongs to a Japanese restaurant. (Why would he give up that domain name?) Anyway TopGun Supply gave me an address for their magazine website which I used to send my message to them. I find it quite odd that when you Google "Chip McCormick Triggers" his website is nowhere to be found. Kind of poor IMO.