PDA

View Full Version : need a good place to buy a cheap upper from

duenor
04-22-2008, 1:55 PM
I'm looking to build a couple of ar15 prototypes for some experiments.
I need 14.5" or 14.7" barreled upper receivers. I can perm weld the MB on myself, so it doesn't have to be complete as is.

anyone know of a good place to get some?
i will probably blow up at least one so no worries about finish, etc.

DrunkSkunk
04-22-2008, 1:57 PM
i will probably blow up at least one

Sweet! video it please :43:

jandmtv
04-22-2008, 2:08 PM
http://www.model1sales.com/subcats.cfm?Category=02&sessionid= and http://akpartskits.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_17

GenLee
04-22-2008, 2:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.pkfirearms.com/store/get_...?type=1&term=8

Stanze
04-22-2008, 2:17 PM
I need 14.5" or 14.7" barreled upper receivers. I can perm weld the MB on myself, so it doesn't have to be complete as is.

If you have a rifle OLL already, it's a felony to have a barrel less than 16". Constructive possession applies under federal jurisdiction. Technically, the only way to legally cover your arse is order it with the muzzle attachment already welded on.

You can only be in possession of a <16" barrel if you own a OLL lower registered as a handgun or if you have the appropriate manufacturing FFL.

That said, if you plan on destroying the upper, check arf.com EE, or buy from Model One Sales. Uppers are pretty cheap w/o the BCG and chrome-lining option.

duenor
04-22-2008, 2:41 PM
stanze, thank you for the warning.
however, we are an 07 FFL with all the appropriate permits and licenses.

the experimental rifles will not be for my own personal use.

thanks for the suggestions everyone. model one sales seems the way to go. please let me know if there are any others. I want to deal directly with the manufacturer, so no dealers or stores, thank you.

ps: constructive possession is such BS

docsmileyface
04-22-2008, 2:54 PM
I think CMMG is the only place to get a 14.7" upper.

duenor
04-22-2008, 2:59 PM
the work i'm planning on doing will require about two dozen ar15 rifles. turns out model 1 sales doesnt make any parts on their own so they dont discount uppers no matter how many you buy.

so, i'm planning to buy direct from the makers.
right now i have for barrels: er shaw
receivers upper and lower: stag

still need:
bcg
all the small parts (pins, springs, trigger group, etc)
stocks

thanks
kev

TopGun2000
04-22-2008, 3:01 PM
and http://akpartskits.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_17

WOW, so cheep :eek:

Wondering about their qualities... :rolleyes:

Stanze
04-22-2008, 3:49 PM
stanze, thank you for the warning.
however, we are an 07 FFL with all the appropriate permits and licenses.

the experimental rifles will not be for my own personal use.

thanks for the suggestions everyone. model one sales seems the way to go. please let me know if there are any others. I want to deal directly with the manufacturer, so no dealers or stores, thank you.

ps: constructive possession is such BS

Ah, now that I read your sig it's all clear to me now.:)

Another tip, make sure the vendor actually has the parts in stock ready to ship. I bought a Stag 2HT upper from a vendor, unbeknownst to me it wasn't in stock and I had to wait over 3 weeks to receive it, their website indicated no such status. If I had known that, I would of bought it from another vendor and paid a little bit more for much faster shipping. I emailed and called the vendor; he assured me that I would get my order, just be patient. Due to the upcoming elections, lots of panic buying going on cleaning out the stocks of many vendors.

Nodda Duma
04-22-2008, 7:32 PM
I was going to ask a similar question. So what's the quality like on those uppers from Model 1 Sales if you're looking for an inexpensive upper to keep (and not blow up)? The kits w/ chrome-lined barrels seem like a decent price. Are they junk or are they decent for the price?

Thanks,
Jason

G17GUY
04-22-2008, 8:13 PM
WOW, so cheep :eek:

Wondering about their qualities... :rolleyes:

Blackthorne = Vulcan = Hesse = ****

TopGun2000
04-22-2008, 8:27 PM
Blackthorne = Vulcan = Hesse = ****

got ya, i was trying to figure out the make of the uppers through the link. :p

FEMUN
04-22-2008, 8:48 PM
So are those uppers good quality? Or are they junk.

duenor
04-22-2008, 11:07 PM
well it doesnt really matter for my purposes (ok well sort of).
but i likely will not be using vulcan/hesse because well, what good are my results if my clientele will not be using the experiment models? to be honest though i dont see how hesse could possibly screw up an ar15 upper... unless they are using low quality aluminum or their specs are off.

as for model 1, it turns out that they dont make any part of their uppers, they just put them together from other maker's parts.

i am most likely going to go stag or dpms for the upper. i MAY use hesse for the lower receivers because it is not a stressed part (all it does really is hold the trigger group together), but if anyone knows a good company to buy all the small parts from in large quantity please let me know.

i think i will try to use company funds to buy just one of those blackthorne uppers, though, just to see what they are like. at $269, its hard to beat.,