PDA

View Full Version : Guns on Boats

Bruce
04-21-2008, 8:28 PM
Do the same laws regarding firearms in cars apply to boats? Can you have loaded firearm aboard?

C.G.
04-21-2008, 8:42 PM
Not the same, but there are differences on inland waters and the ocean. Which one were you thinking about?

If you are fishing, you can have a loaded firearm, after that it depends on several factors, you might want to read these:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=86608&highlight=boat

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=80256&highlight=boat

got ar?
04-21-2008, 8:43 PM
we fish for thresher and mako sharks all the time and been boarded countless times never had a problem long as you declare the boarding officer you have a loaded firearm on board...oh yeah a real big no no for having a firearm on a vessel not even a flare gun ....

Bruce
04-21-2008, 9:32 PM
Not the same, but there are differences on inland waters and the ocean. Which one were you thinking about?

If you are fishing, you can have a loaded firearm, after that it depends on several factors, you might want to read these:

Inland waters. Sometimes fishing sometimes not. I've got an old 20 gauge I was thinking of making into a "boat gun".

Vin496
04-21-2008, 9:39 PM
we fish for thresher and mako sharks all the time and been boarded countless times never had a problem long as you declare the boarding officer you have a loaded firearm on board...oh yeah a real big no no for having a firearm on a vessel not even a flare gun ....

Maybe it's late, but I'm a bit confused about your last statement.

Do you mean it's a big no no to have these on your boat? But that would contradict what you said about it being no problem.

Or do you mean it's a big no no to Not have these items on your boat?

I'm just confused now.:(

hoffmang
04-21-2008, 9:52 PM
Things are a bit different depending on whether your boat has a head and galley or not. Which case are you in?

-Gene

C.G.
04-21-2008, 10:58 PM
Maybe it's late, but I'm a bit confused about your last statement.

Do you mean it's a big no no to have these on your boat? But that would contradict what you said about it being no problem.

Or do you mean it's a big no no to Not have these items on your boat?

I'm just confused now.:(

You have to have visual distress signals on your boat; not to having them or having expired ones can cost a warning at the least and more likely an expensive ticket. Usually PFDs and flares are the first thing that USCG will check, if you do not have them a much more thorough examination of your vessel will follow.

Originally posted by Hoffmang

Things are a bit different depending on whether your boat has a head and galley or not. Which case are you in?

-Gene

Exactly, if it has a head and a galley it is considered more like a house, no galley more like a car. However, if you have a fishing license and are fishing, then you can carry.
As mentioned USCG will probably not worry about weapons, but Sheriff is very likely going to be interested.
There is also the difference between documented vessels and state registered vessels, which is discussed in the links I gave earlier.

Harrison_Bergeron
04-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Don't keep anything expensive on board, I've read a lot of stories about CA gun owners losing their entire collections in otherwise tame boating accidents :D

RedDawn
04-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Don't keep anything expensive on board, I've read a lot of stories about CA gun owners losing their entire collections in otherwise tame boating accidents :D

The whole collection, except for two...;)

gazzavc
04-21-2008, 11:50 PM
When I read the title of this thread , something more akin to this came to mind....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/db/Animated_gun_turret.gif/300px-

motorhead
04-22-2008, 6:52 AM
bp cannon, tell them it's for signaling. the beer cans full of cement are anchors.

Smokeybehr
04-22-2008, 7:43 AM
When I read the title of this thread , something more akin to this came to mind....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/db/Animated_gun_turret.gif/300px-

That's a most excellent .gif there.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
04-22-2008, 6:20 PM

-Gene

I see where you're going with this. Good thinking.

To the OP: Duck hunters (with hunting licenses) can actively shoot at ducks with guns loaded with live ammo from their boat, so I know at least with a hunting license (during duck season...) you can most definitely have guns, have them loaded, etc. What options you have outside of duck season and without a hunting permit, I'm not sure.

Also, I'm betting you *need* a flare launcher for your AR while on your boat.
http://spikestactical.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=132

cnyankee
04-22-2008, 8:21 PM
To the OP: Duck hunters (with hunting licenses) can actively shoot at ducks with guns loaded with live ammo from their boat, so I know at least with a hunting license (during duck season...) you can most definitely have guns, have them loaded, etc. What options you have outside of duck season and without a hunting permit, I'm not sure.

transporting a shotgun in a boat when duck hunting is legal but (i might be mistaken) i thought it was illegal to actually shoot a duck from within the boat. I thought you had to be outside the boat.

edwardm
04-22-2008, 8:41 PM
It's called (at least in my case) a scull boat. And if you tried to get out of the boat to shoot the ducks, they'd light up and laugh at you on the way upwind. :)

Folks have been shooting ducks out of them in California since before my grandpappy was born.

transporting a shotgun in a boat when duck hunting is legal but (i might be mistaken) i thought it was illegal to actually shoot a duck from within the boat. I thought you had to be outside the boat.

sargenv
04-23-2008, 9:46 AM
The restriction on shooting game from a boat is that the boat cannot be moving at the time. I think the motor has to be in a somewhat upright position so that you can't go chasing after game with propulsion. It usually helps to have a dog to go after downed game.

Harrison_Bergeron
04-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Is shooting clay from a boat off the coast legal? One of my mom's bosses used to do it, but by the time I cared someone at the local range had told them it was illegal so they stopped.

hoffmang
04-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Past the three mile MARPOL trash limit, shooting clays off the back of the boat is fully legal. Just be aware that it may be interpreted as a distress warning so I recommend keeping your VHF watching 16 and 22.

-Gene

Scarecrow Repair
04-23-2008, 4:20 PM
Past the three mile MARPOL trash limit, shooting clays off the back of the boat is fully legal. Just be aware that it may be interpreted as a distress warning so I recommend keeping your VHF watching 16 and 22.

-Gene

Would it be useful to call the Coast Guard and let them know you are just target shooting?

hoffmang
04-23-2008, 4:33 PM
Would it be useful to call the Coast Guard and let them know you are just target shooting?

Nah. You're unlikely to actually have anyone notice (it's not very quiet 3 miles out) but if you did, you'd hear radio traffic about it and could then notify CG that your sport shooting and do not have distress.

-Gene

spgk380
04-23-2008, 9:10 PM
One thing you should keep in mind is that the Coast Guard can search your boat basically whenever and wherever they want for no reason (under the guise of a "safety" inspection). So I would be pretty careful about bringing an OLL on a boat.

moulton
04-23-2008, 9:19 PM
One thing you should keep in mind is that the Coast Guard can search your boat basically whenever and wherever they want for no reason (under the guise of a "safety" inspection). So I would be pretty careful about bringing an OLL on a boat.
why? The USCG can only enforce federal laws, and OLL's are not regulated federally.

hoffmang
04-23-2008, 11:22 PM
My experience with CG and firearms is that the only thing they care about is being between you and your firearm when they are onboard. Otherwise they complement your hardware.

-Gene

yoteassasin
04-24-2008, 7:28 AM
wow... ok here is my $0.02 it doesn't matter with the coast guard providing you are past the marpol V limit you are ok to do exactly that. i used to shoot massive quantity of rock durring 10 day gulf crossings and i would not advise "calling the CG and Telling them you are going to be shooting clay" they would most likely come and board you thinking you are stoned or transporting drugs for the life of me i can not understand why people in this state lie down and roll over at the mention of something illegal or law enforcement