PDA

View Full Version : JUST BOUGHT A LEUPOLD RX-3 DIGITAL RANGEFINDER ON E-BAY

ricknadine1111
04-21-2008, 5:12 PM
"Man not the best deal but a deal neverless", I just bought a Leupold RX-3 Digital Rangefinder on E-Bay for $347.00 shipped and it's brand new in the box. I guess I am going over to the dark side with my mildot.:43:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn241/bellyscraper/rangefinder.jpg

Overview Features Specifications Accessories Ordering Information More Views
RX-III Rangefinders
With Leupold’s® exclusive True Ballistic Range® technology matched to your rifle’s ballistics, your RX®-III calculates the ballistics range to your target, then displays it as a holdover aim point, an MOA adjustment, or the equivalent horizontal distance. Let the RX-III add laser accuracy to your long-range shooting.

Features

RX-III Digital Laser Rangefinder
Make your extreme long-range shooting more accurate with the RX®-III and True Ballistic Range® technology. Accurate range in the field can mean the difference between a hit or a miss. The Leupold® RX-III digital laser rangefinder does more than deliver the straight line distance…you get the True Ballistic Range to your target, based on your rifle’s ballistics.

8x magnification gives you plenty of power, with a wide field of view to track movement.
Scan mode continuously updates the range as you track a target or scan an area.
Rugged, waterproof construction.
The precision thermometer gives you digital readings in ˚C or ˚F.
Accurate to 1,200 yards, with measurements in feet, yards, or meters.
The Quick Set Rotary Menu® is easy to use, for fast customization of your RX-III. Also includes the Quick Start Mode.
With a built-in inclinometer, the RX-III calculates the ballistics range to your target, then displays it as a holdover aim point, an MOA adjustment, or the equivalent horizontal distance.
Battery power indicator for easy battery level checks.
The common CR2 lithium camera battery is easy to change in the field.
Multiple Ballistics Settings…RX rangefinders with True Ballistic Range (TBR®) provide accurate aiming information matched to the performance of your rifle. By calculating the incline, line of sight range to the target, and a projectile’s ballistics, your RX provides the correct equivalent horizontal distance for precise shooting on an incline. In other words, aim using the True Ballistic Range, not the line of sight range. Rifle shooters can also get this data as an MOA adjustment or a holdover point. With practice, long distance/steep angle shooting will become second nature. Dial in your RX to one of seven TBR ballistics settings for the rifle. TBR is effective to 800 yards for most rifle cartridges.
Multiple modes…with the RX Series, you can do something you can’t do with any other rangefinder: use multiple modes at once to tailor your readings to the conditions. For example: scouting a target in the rain? Use Rain Mode and 1st Target Mode at the same time to achieve the most accurate range possible. Only RX rangefinders give you the ability to adapt to changing conditions like this. Leupold’s exclusive Quick Set Rotary Menu is intuitive and easy to use, giving you fast access to all the incredible performance modes of your new RX rangefinder.
The Match 13® Reticle System…one of the most useful customizable features of your RX rangefinder is the Match 13 Reticle System…you’ll always have fast access to each of the 13 reticles, so you always have the right reticle for any situation. Each reticle is available with the Leupold Plus Point™, for an added level of accuracy in pinpointing a target.
Accessories included: The useful carrying case features a bungee/hook closure for silent operation in the field, a battery, a dog clip for attaching to your pack, and an internal pocket for carrying batteries, instructions and other items. Also includes a lanyard. Tripod thread included, allowing steady mounting for accurate target acquisition.
Specifications

RX-III Digital Laser Rangefinder
Available Reticles

Available Finishes

Actual Magnification 8x
Linear Field of View (ft/1000 yd) 236
Linear Field of View (m/1000 m) 71.5
Angular Field of View (degrees) 4.5
Weight 12.0 oz / 340 g
Length 4.7 in / 119 mm
Obj. Aperture (mm) 28
Twilight Factor 15.0
Exit Pupil (mm) 3.5
Eye Relief (mm) 16.0
Close Focus Distance 18.0 ft / 5.5 m
Maximum Range 1,200 yd / 1,097.3 m
Minimum Range 3 yd / 2.7 m

Accessories

Ordering Information

To make ordering any of these products easier, download the Product Ordering Chart (in PDF format), which includes the part number for each specific model.

More Views

Enter your friend's e-mail address here: Your name:

Text Size: Large Text Size: Medium Text Size: Small Send Print

aplinker
04-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Yikes... for that price you could've almost gotten the Leica.

bruce_ventura
04-23-2008, 8:04 PM
I bought one for a work project that needed the inclinometer and compass feature. The reticle seemed king of busy with excess features and I never could get it to range anything beyond 1,000 yards. Otherwise a nice optic for the money. I'll be interested to know how it works for you.

Bruce

maxicon
04-24-2008, 8:28 AM
I'll be interested in feedback as well.

I'm casually looking for a rangefinder, and really can't swing the $500 for the Leica 1200, which everyone agrees is one of the best. My needs are pretty simple - it's rare I'd have any requirement for over 500 yards or low light. I really can't justify more than $200 for another optics toy in these uncertain times.

The Leupold RX-II comes up pretty inexpensively, but Leupold doesn't seem to be on anyone's short list for rangefinders. The Bushnell YP 800 appears to be one of the favorites in the sub-$200 range.

PatriotnMore
04-24-2008, 8:31 AM
I have the RX-IV, its all that and more, it is worth the few extra bucks to buy. The new gen has a viewer like binos, you should see the prices coming down on the other models, I bought mine for 420.00 on ebay

trinydex
04-24-2008, 4:04 PM
Yikes... for that price you could've almost gotten the Leica.

what's that? better i'm assuming? i'm in the market for a rangefinder possibly. any review or additional info appreciated.

maxicon
04-24-2008, 10:16 PM
There's a pretty good forum over at http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_topics.asp?FID=11&SID=43zfe77z6fzcfb73dcf4435251ae9965 with a lot of rangefinder discussion. It's not real high volume, but good for a bit of research.

The Leica 1200 and 900 are favorites of many people.

ricknadine1111
04-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Just recieved it its cool, now I need a chro to check my bullet velocity and I will input it into the rangefinder.
:party:http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn241/bellyscraper/rangefinder-1.jpg

aerodog
04-25-2008, 5:59 AM
Maxicon,
I recently purchased a RX-II. After trying the Leupolds and Bushnells at the shotshow this year, it seemed as if the Leupolds would range better, at least for me and on targets in the LVCC!

For under 600 yards, the RX-II does very well, after that its pretty bad and I have not been able to get it to consistently range targets farther than 600 yards. The RX-II has been very good at ranging targets through dense brush and also through tree branches. It was able to range harbor seal heads off of Palos Verdes (no I wasn't hunting them!) at 400 yards. On Maui, I was able to rangefind deer at 450 yards. On weird thing was that I tried to range a silver car at around 100 yards and the RX-II had problems with it.

One of my requirements was that I use the item! While the RX-III and IV were on the short list, the low weight size of the RX-II was a big factor. From experience with compact digital cameras, small increases in weight and size would cause even larger decreases in usage. The 6x magnification was sometimes problematic. I don't know if it was the low weight or me but sometimes the optics shake would be bothersome. The RX-III is 8x.

IF you need 600+, the RX-II is NOT the rangefinder to get. 99.9% of my requirements are below 600 yards together with the smaller size, weight, and cost made the RX-II the right choice for me.

I'm casually looking for a rangefinder, and really can't swing the $500 for the Leica 1200, which everyone agrees is one of the best. My needs are pretty simple - it's rare I'd have any requirement for over 500 yards or low light. I really can't justify more than $200 for another optics toy in these uncertain times.

The Leupold RX-II comes up pretty inexpensively, but Leupold doesn't seem to be on anyone's short list for rangefinders. The Bushnell YP 800 appears to be one of the favorites in the sub-$200 range.

Timberwolf
04-25-2008, 7:32 AM
I hate to say it by I scored a Leica 1200S for less than that about two months ago. It was slightly used but you can't tell it except the guy painted the serial number on everything.

I know hw all feel about ebay but . . . you can still score good deals there if you're patient.

mikeinla
12-31-2008, 7:43 PM

where can you get the leica 1200 for $500????

maxicon
01-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I usually buy stuff like this lightly used, as it's already out of my price range.

ebay shows 8 of them sold for under $550, 3 of them for under $500, in the last 30 days. They also show up at arfcom and various other fora in that price range.

It's still too much for me for another limited use gadget. For my uses, I could buy a Bushnell for under $200 and have enough left over for a big head start on another gun.

rksimple
01-02-2009, 7:20 AM
where can you get the leica 1200 for $500????

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/site.pl?page=40523

They have demo units for 499. Doug has a very good rep as well.

LibertyOptics
01-02-2009, 10:30 AM
I am of the firm opinion that the Bushnell elite 1500 is the best non-European LRF out there. The Lupy's are made in China, too busy for my tastes and not at all intuitive. They also didn't work real well in my experience. The "optics" are substandard.
Nevertheless, I hope you are happy and good luck.

Scott

bruce_ventura
01-03-2009, 7:40 AM
After using the Leupold for over a year, I would have to agree with Scott. Not a bad product, just below Leupold's usual high standards. Marginal telescope optics, busy and low contrast display, optimistic spec regarding max range.

I don't have much to compare it with though.

Teletiger7
01-05-2009, 11:20 AM
I have seen used Leica 1200s listed for $350-$400 on various forums.
I saw a 900 someone was selling a few months back for $250