PDA

View Full Version : What's a rifle with NO mag catch?

SoCalAR
04-21-2008, 2:49 PM
I ask because I've got my lower, LPK, and stock and am itching to try and put it together. I got a BB but the kit is missing the nut so I'm thinking if I install everything but the mag catch isn't it still incapable of accepting a detachable magazine, therefore still complying with CA law?

Wizard99
04-21-2008, 2:52 PM
No, If it doesn't require a tool to remove the magazine then it would be considered a detachable magazine. That combined with any of the "evil" features would make it a CA AW.

SoCalAR
04-21-2008, 2:56 PM
No, If it doesn't require a tool to remove the magazine then it would be considered a detachable magazine. That combined with any of the "evil" features would make it a CA AW.

So even with no mag catch installed the mag will still attach to the lower?

I was thinking (with my AR newb logic) it would just slide in and out and never actually click in...

Edit:
Maybe I should have mentioned this but I don't have an upper for it yet. I simply have the lower, LPK, and buttstock assembly...

Josh3239
04-21-2008, 2:59 PM
You can fire the rifle holding the magazine in the well. Thus the magazine can be attached and detached. All the catch does is stop you from holding the magazine in, either way you need a tool to detach the magazine or ditch the evil features.

ohsmily
04-21-2008, 3:00 PM
If there is no upper on the lower, then you can have "evil features" on it without a magazine lock or with no magazine catch at all.

With no upper, it isn't a semi-auto centerfire rifle.

SoCalAR
04-21-2008, 3:10 PM
If there is no upper on the lower, then you can have "evil features" on it without a magazine lock or with no magazine catch at all.

With no upper, it isn't a semi-auto centerfire rifle.

Ah, good point. I could be putting a 22LR upper on it ;)

Either way, I have to go to 10% to pick up my upper and I will pick up the rest of the BB at the same time, install the BB, and THEN pin the upper.

That sounds like it might just work!

ETA: I meant to add it was a little mistake that the nut wasn't in the BB package when I bought it and when I called 10% Wes answered the phone, figured out what happened, and then even offered to bring the nut to me in Bakersfield the next day! That's service!! Thanks Wes!

aplinker
04-21-2008, 3:10 PM
As ohsmily says, you can build it up.

Since you're doing a BB with its special nut you're fine, but for others (MMG buiders)... the mag catch needs to be installed before the bolt catch or you can't rotate it around to tighten.

Blacktail 8541
04-21-2008, 5:24 PM
As ohsmily says, you can build it up.

Since you're doing a BB with its special nut you're fine, but for others (MMG buiders)... the mag catch needs to be installed before the bolt catch or you can't rotate it around to tighten.

It can be installed after the bolt catch. All you have to do is hold the button in place for the first turn and then use a tool to push it in like you are releasing a mag to be able to screw it in the rest of the way.

aplinker
04-21-2008, 5:37 PM
It can be installed after the bolt catch. All you have to do is hold the button in place for the first turn and then use a tool to push it in like you are releasing a mag to be able to screw it in the rest of the way.

It's tough to get them to where I think it's "good enough." But then, they've all been P50's so I'm extra cautious. ;)

I definitely couldn't get them out (and of course I used a tool) without pulling the catch off.