PDA

View Full Version : Saiga?

Aaryq
04-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Howdy Folks.
I'm in the market for a new rifle. It's kind of a newbie question and you may have been asked this before but I couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

Saiga in 7.62x39 unconverted (of course). Is it legal in CA?
Can I use it with the 5 rnd mag as a brush gun for hunting?
When I get my orders out of CA to the east coast, how easy would it be to install the skeletonized stock on a Saiga (or do I need a gunsmith).
Thanks!

USN CHIEF
04-21-2008, 1:08 PM
Just above your Username, there is a flowchart that will tell you if what you are looking for is legal or illegal....

aplinker
04-21-2008, 1:10 PM
It's legal, it's not hard to modify. Women in huts with stone tools build AKs.

MrTuffPaws
04-21-2008, 2:27 PM
Legal. Skeletonized stocks are short though. You will also need to fill the hole to avoid a pistol grip. I had one and removed it and went back to the sporter stock just to increase the length of pull.

Born2Lose
04-21-2008, 2:54 PM
It comes with a 10 round mag. Also if you have preban hicap mags you can add a bullet guide and use them.

dustyboots
04-21-2008, 7:58 PM
I wonder if there's a limit on rifle magazine capacity for hunting in California? I've heard that bird hunters are limited to a certain number of shotgun shells (3?) in the tube but I'm not sure about rifles.

I'm sure autoloading rifles are OK because I stopped in the local Fish & Game office not long ago and one of the rangers told me he uses a Remington 740 for deer. I asked him if the factory 5-round mag for that rifle was OK and he said yes.

Seems there are plenty of people on the Saiga-12.com forums who use their rifles for deer and pig.

NeoWeird
04-21-2008, 8:08 PM
I believe it depends on the game. I've heard of some states having 2 round limits, others have 5 round limits, others 10, etc and it changes with the animal hunted. You might be able to hunt boar with 5 rounds but deer only get 2.

I've HEARD that California is usually a 10 round state, but I don't hunt, so don't take my word on it. I do know though that quite often the ammount of ammo you can hunt with loaded in your gun is limited.