PDA

View Full Version : M1A Socom II

RandyRhoads
08-24-2014, 12:23 PM
In my quest for a battle riffle/M14 I think I've decided to just buy a Springfield M1a socom II. In my other thread about getting an M14 the M1A was suggested but I didn't realize its just an M14 made by Springfield.

Was checking out a one in a shop and a guy was explaining them and various manufactures. He said Fulton arms has down played every other manufacture and created a false sense of a better rifle that isn't. He recommended just buying the M1a like I wanted it rather than buying forge receiver building etc. said the difference was too minimal to justify the price increase.

What do you think? Anyone else have a M1a socom II? How do you like it? If I want later can I drop that model in a sage EBR stock?

Thanks.

highpower790
08-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Unless your into competition of some sort ,spending more money on something that is already more accurate than most shooters is pointless!Good decision op.

RandyRhoads
08-24-2014, 12:45 PM
Exactly! I know my limitations. The stock rifle is probably more capable than I am. I can spend that extra money on an ACOG and ammo.

Anyone know if this model would fit into a sage EBR stocks? Anyone have personal experience with this model?

Thorax
08-24-2014, 1:09 PM
I'm not positive....but, I *think* you have to have a full size barrel.

Everything else should be good to go as it is the same.

Marquand
08-24-2014, 1:25 PM
Exactly! I know my limitations. The stock rifle is probably more capable than I am. I can spend that extra money on an ACOG and ammo.

Anyone know if this model would fit into a sage EBR stocks? Anyone have personal experience with this model?

According to Fulton Armory the EBR will fit a SOCOM II with a standard weight barrel. I'm not aware that the SOCOM II is offered with a heavyweight barrel so I'm going to say yes, it will fit.

Knife Edge
08-24-2014, 1:26 PM
What do you think? Anyone else have a M1a socom II? How do you like it? If I want later can I drop that model in a sage EBR stock?

Thanks.

I bought one before the .308 DPMS pattern rifles really started to show up. I bought it because I had a ton of mags in the family, no BB BS, SHTF rifle.

Mine has the extended upper rail so it has seen optics from RDS to scopes, it wears a VX-R 3-9 but I am saving for a SWFA 1-6.

The cheek rest is too low for anything other than the built in iron sights however that is quickly addressed by an aftermarket add-on piece from desert warrior products. Two drilled holes and you are 100% GTG. The quad rail..... It looks cool, especially so off a bipod but holding it sans a VFG or pistol grip is onerous; you need hands the size of Shaq's and rail covers for sure. I shot mine for groups several times and recall hanging around 1.3 MOA 5-shot groups with 155 hand loads. The 175s were just too much to launch down a pencil barrel without rocking the wagon so to speak (harmonics).

I swapped out the plastic stock for a Viltor, former USGI stock and groups increased to 2-3 MOA laterally and 5 MOA vertically. This led me to shimming the gas block (that did nothing). More research land I grew the juevos necessary to fill the stock with JB Weld and bed the action to get the proper tension on the ferrule to barrel band (Google that on a weekend). This pulled the groups back to a solid MOA 5-shot, sub-MOA 3-shot rifle when shooting off a range bag with the girls favorite sweater jammed in there. However when I reattached the QD Larue Harris 6-9 she started the vertical stringing crud again. I bought the Sadlak NM guide rod to eliminate spring binding but that did nothing as the inside of the op rod is poorly finished; the op rod cycles like a ribbed condom through a tight xyz. I will get around to polishing it one of these days.

I am type A with rifles, I demand they shoot sub-MOA and all of mine do, even chrome lined ARs. Everything in these guns touches the barrel. The lower quad rail attaches to the upper quad rail which attaches to the barrel itself in several locations. As such M1As can be a PIA chasing down gas blocks, dirty pistons, ferule to front band tension, receiver play in all directions, glass bedding and muzzle device alignment. This one has eluded me yet I spend the most time screwing with it bc it has a unique personality. She's like the hot chick with a bad attitude that keeps leading you on. One day you'll hit it but sometimes the chase is just as exciting.

If you want a 2-3 MOA rifle (average guy) that will likely never jam, she's GTG. If you want to later go down the precision path the just buy a forged or cast receiver and build one up from scratch. You'll quickly realize how little your money is buying with these things when you start swapping stuff out left and right. Remove the handguards and there is almost nothing left. Just a small receiver, an anemic barrel that looks line it is wearing braces.

I love my SOCOM II and more people admire it than other things I bring to the range.

tinman1975
08-24-2014, 1:44 PM
I have the socom 16......same rifle without the cluster rail. If you are going to drop it into a chassis.....save yourself 200 bucks and get the socom 16 instead. I love mine, but it's kind of a novelty gun. It's a bit heavy and unwieldy for a short carbine, and for a range gun you rattle the bones of all of your friends with the short barrel and muzzle break. You are also giving up one of the major advantages of the 308 round......range. A 16 inch barrel does give up some velocity compared to the 22 inch standard model. I have the fullsize standard rifle as well. The design of the iron sights on these guns is superb, and makes me biased toward the standard model with its long barrel and sight radius. If I was dead set on putting an acog or optic on a 308 rifle.....I would opt to spend just a little more and get an AR pattern rifle like the LMT MWS....actually cheaper once you factor in the cost of a chassis system. If I knew I could only have 1 m1a pattern gun, I would probably opt for the scout model over the socom. All of this being said, mine has been completely reliable with all sorts of surplus 7.62 ammo. If you google search about putting an acog on these type rifles you will find that options are very limited and the m14 isn't an optimal platform for it because you will need a ladder to see it and the eye relief has to be very short to be really useable. As for it being more accurate than you.....probably not. Mine is a 2-3 MOA gun, and it has a cqb style front sight post that seems to cover about 12 inches at 100 yards. It's not meant to be a precision rig.

H2O MAN
08-24-2014, 2:16 PM

Thanks.

If you are going to drop it into a chassis.....save yourself 200 bucks and get the socom 16 instead.

Agreed.

All SOCOM M1As come with a standard profile 16.25" barrel.

The barreled action will fit in the SAGE EBR, and the noticeably lighter Blackfeather "RS" (https://www.facebook.com/BlackfeatherRS)

http://www.athenswater.com/images/m14_blackfeather_stock_photo.jpg

SloChicken
08-24-2014, 2:30 PM
I put my SOCOM II into a USGI stock (from CMP for $35) and it lightened my rifle by at least a pound. Shoots sub 2moa with my 2.5x on it and is a pleasure to shoot.

I have seen SOCOM II in both JAE and Sage chassis.
It will really increase weight - they are nice, but heavy - and spendy ...

For perspective, here is mine sans the bottom rail - it has a much better grip like this, and I hardly have a use for so many rails anyway.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m48/Slom3chicken/Firearms%20-%20Hunting/photo3_zpsb7cfa15c.jpg (http://s101.photobucket.com/user/Slom3chicken/media/Firearms%20-%20Hunting/photo3_zpsb7cfa15c.jpg.html)

Mossy Man
08-24-2014, 2:37 PM
SOCOMII going to be HEAVY

rickster1269
08-24-2014, 2:42 PM
I had one and had a bad experience. I ended up selling the rifle because it was unreliable and inaccurate. To each his own. I replaced it with a AR10 and never looked back.

SloChicken
08-24-2014, 2:46 PM
SOCOMII going to be HEAVY

It is actually only about a 6oz rail system. So it is lighter than other M1A options, and feels lighter still when shooting unsupported as less barrel is up front

Knife Edge
08-24-2014, 3:52 PM
It is actually only about a 6oz rail system. So it is lighter than other M1A options, and feels lighter still when shooting unsupported as less barrel is up front

^^ This. The softball sized fore grip is what gets people.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/25/ade9y7ur.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HUTCH 7.62
08-24-2014, 3:57 PM
IMO the M1A scout is a better rifle.:hide: Main reason is parts interchangeability.

Knife Edge
08-24-2014, 4:02 PM
IMO the M1A scout is a better rifle.:hide: Main reason is parts interchangeability.

That's the 18"?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tinman1975
08-24-2014, 7:18 PM

Besides the muzzle brake/gas lock combo, what isn't interchangeable? I agree with you on the scout because of barrel length and sight radius, but I thought all of the other parts were interchangeable

Mossy Man
08-24-2014, 7:35 PM
I got rid of my socom 16 for a standard........the full size balances better imo

rmatt
08-24-2014, 7:36 PM
have scout squad and love it.

ARKLITE881South
08-24-2014, 7:57 PM
According to Fulton Armory the EBR will fit a SOCOM II with a standard weight barrel. I'm not aware that the SOCOM II is offered with a heavyweight barrel so I'm going to say yes, it will fit.

The EBR fit mine perfectly, and looked like a mini M-60:D

HUTCH 7.62
08-24-2014, 8:05 PM
Besides the muzzle brake/gas lock combo, what isn't interchangeable? I agree with you on the scout because of barrel length and sight radius, but I thought all of the other parts were interchangeable

I believe the op rod length is also different. I could be wrong, been along time since I compared the two.

HUTCH 7.62
08-24-2014, 8:12 PM
I got rid of my socom 16 for a standard........the full size balances better imo

This. I prefer the scout or standard length.

A little off subject. I had a FAL with a 16' barrel and soon re-barreled it to a 21" for the same reason, also improved accuracy too.

dozer wright
08-25-2014, 3:42 AM
If you search on here lots of problems with S.F.A quaility control. Ive had my issues with my Socom 2 .I highly recommend you do some solid research. Ive read everything from trigger parts breaking,wont cycle ammo, bad operating rods.Which may be fine and dandy for some but if your buget dosnt include replacing a bunch of factory parts for G.I. Parts.
You may be better off with a different manufacturer.
And I dont mean do a search in a attitude way like some on here.

Knife Edge
08-25-2014, 5:37 AM
I agree with Dozer. For how much you are spending, by the time you toss the stock and replace the spring guide there's a receiver, bolt, barrel, op rod and gas block with piston for well north of $2k. Much of those parts coming from some other place. Find a quality receiver, buy a nice barrel, get a USGI bolt add in other USGI parts when you find them and you'll have something for about $2500 with gunsmith fees. Or pay $500 more than that and just get a precision AR off the DPMS pattern.

I'll get flamed for this but the M1A has seen its day. In my .02 opinion, it was posture child for government developed firearms whereas the Stoner AR-10 and -15 was progression towards capitalism through contractors. Look at all the quality gear we have now where the R&D came from smaller companies, not Uncle Sam.

H2O MAN
08-25-2014, 6:35 AM
I believe the op rod length is also different. I could be wrong, been along time since I compared the two.

Nope.

The only proprietary SOCOM part that will not interchange with other M1As is the 1-piece Gas lock compensator.

http://www.springfieldforum.com/images/2/5/3/springfield-m1a-socom-16-f-effective-muzzle-break-47.jpg

Smith Enterprise makes the SOCOM/CQB-16 specific GLFS-D-16 that enables users to use an assortment of muzzle devices & front sights.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/imagesprod/socom_kit02.lg.jpg

dozer wright
08-25-2014, 6:42 AM
I got my Socom in a killer trade because it would not run at all. If I had bought it new thinking how great a S.F.A M1a is like used to think . I would have been mad . Their parts are carp.the hammer on my socom broke repeatedly .after multiple trips to Springfield I just replaced it with G.I parts
So in went a new op rod and adjustable gas plug,Gi trigger group,extractor, stock,and sights .I know some of this did not have anything to do with operations.
But $100 dollar bills add up fast when you can buy a Fulton or similar and know it will shoot straight out of box with no questions asked.

H2O MAN
08-25-2014, 6:43 AM
SOCOM length CQB-16 in a SAGE EBR (M14ALCS/CV)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/v/t1.0-9/547807_425959494087911_649534970_n.jpg?oh=c15a18f0 2fa4e359a2209e0695e0bb94&oe=54680213&__gda__=1416601949_81c80f990e03f302ead05c18a77af2e 1

Knife Edge
08-25-2014, 12:47 PM
SOCOM length CQB-16 in a SAGE EBR (M14ALCS/CV)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/v/t1.0-9/547807_425959494087911_649534970_n.jpg?oh=c15a18f0 2fa4e359a2209e0695e0bb94&oe=54680213&__gda__=1416601949_81c80f990e03f302ead05c18a77af2e 1

:) cool