PDA

View Full Version : How far do police powers go?

Mr.Boink
04-20-2008, 4:55 AM
While eating a snack at a gas station parking lot earlier today (about 1:00AM), a police officer pulled up behind me. I was doing nothing except chomping on my food. He asked me what my business was and I explained I just stopped by to eat a snack and use the bathroom. Apparently this gas station is a host to criminal activities so they make a point to check up on people who appear to be loitering. No problem there, its good that the police are patrolling the area. As he was about to leave, he notices the empty box for my RAA Saiga (along with other garbage) in the back seat. He inquires about it further, to which I explain it was the box for my "Saiga rifle." Oddly enough, he asks what kind of gun it is- caliber, what I use it for, etc. I simply tell him its for plinking, mostly because I shoot for amusement. It more or less ends there with a few more remarks. My question is: can my answer of "Saiga rifle" come back to haunt me? If he is convinced that I have an assault rifle, but was not in possession at that very moment, can he (or one of his buddies) visit me at home? Am I being paranoid?

ldivinag
04-20-2008, 5:24 AM
paranoid...

but since the box was in plain view, cops are good to go.

plus 1am + area is host to drug activities, probably they target that place due to complaints.

adamsreeftank
04-20-2008, 6:44 AM
I wouldn't worry about it, but I'm surprised he didn't ask to look inside the box. Any kind of indication that you may have a gun in your car is generally cause for a search.

Fjold
04-20-2008, 8:31 AM
He could have easily searched your car. Why would you leave a rifle box in the backseat? That's just giving them an open invitation.

Vin496
04-20-2008, 8:48 AM
So your hanging out in front of a Gas station at 1 in the morning. Cop patrolling ask you a few questions, sees a box for a gun in your car, ask you a few question about the box, then goes on his way.

Sounds like you had a good night.

Being that he could have made it a difficult situation, thanks to your giving him all the "ammo" he needed to make it difficult.

DesertGunner
04-20-2008, 10:56 AM
A consensual encounter in a public place hardly even involves "police powers". No suspicion is necessary to approach someone and have a conversation. However, if you give them reason to develop suspicion, it could go further.

Greg-Dawg
04-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Next time, just keep all the fun stuff in the trunk or away from view.

thegratenate
04-20-2008, 11:44 AM
If he didn't ask to look inside the box, which was sitting right in front of him, I see no logic in him going to your house for a search.

Looks like he considered you to be a law abiding citizen and left it at that. He may have even wanted to hook you up with his sister if your taste in firearms met his approval, you'll never know.

mymonkeyman
04-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Unlike AR or AK I don't think more officers know what a Saiga is. The fact the officer didn't react at all to hearing you had a box for a rifle in the car is a good sign that he wasn't interested in it or you. Also you didn't say that he took down your information, so you are being paranoid.

Mr.Boink
04-20-2008, 2:07 PM
I should have made it more clear... the cardboard box the gun came in was obviously empty. Normally I would keep all firearms related items out of sight, but my car was packed full of boxes and other stuff that'll be going to the trash bin- finally completed my spring cleaning. However, I didn't think to organize my trash, although I should have. I guess after reading the 2nd Amend. Politics and Laws forum for a while, I just got a bit paranoid and started typing. So I got to thinking if they have my license plate, they know who I am. From that point they can assume I have a possibly illegal gun (which an RAA Saiga isn't, of course, but not everyone knows that) and check up on me. But you guys are probably right that I'm off my rocker :D

jamesob
04-20-2008, 4:48 PM
nope. nothing to fear.

tyrist
04-20-2008, 6:09 PM
Paranoid

anonymous12
04-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Sounds like you are an anglo english speaker. Hahaha