View Full Version : Mini 14 stock

HavaJava
04-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Is it legal to install a Steyr Aug style stock to a pre-ban Ruger
Mini 14 that is a registered AW?

Thanks

mymonkeyman
04-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Why was the Mini 14 registered? It isn't a Category 1 listed weapon, it's certainly not an AK or AR series, and it doesn't have any Category 3 features in its stock condition. I'm assuming a flash hider or alternative stock was added or something?

If it is a legitimately registered CA AW (as in you have the paper from the CA DOJ saying it was registered as an assault weapon), then you could add as many SB23 prohibited features (including thumb-hole stocks and pistol grips) as you want.

The SoCal Gunner
04-19-2008, 11:49 PM
Why was the Mini 14 registered? It isn't a Category 1 listed weapon, it's certainly not an AK or AR series, and it doesn't have any Category 3 features in its stock condition. I'm assuming a flash hider or alternative stock was added or something?

If it is a legitimately registered CA AW (as in you have the paper from the CA DOJ saying it was registered as an assault weapon), then you could add as many SB23 prohibited features (including thumb-hole stocks and pistol grips) as you want.

They used to come stock with flash hiders.

If it is already a registered assault weapon adding a category 3 feature won't make it any more of an assault weapon. Do whatever you want to it.

ar15barrels
04-20-2008, 12:00 AM
They used to come stock with flash hiders.

Or folding stocks.

Experimentalist
04-20-2008, 11:21 AM

I had a Mini-14 that when purchased had absolutely no Category 3 features. It now is registered as an assault weapon.

The reason is that I wanted to be free to do absolutely anything I wanted to it. Since the registration (and yes, I have the paperwork) I've added a flash hider and a folding stock.

Perhaps I need a bayonet mount?

:inquis:

Suvorov
04-20-2008, 11:43 AM
My understanding is that as long as it is registered you can do just about anything with it as long as it wouldn't violate any higher laws (NFA etc).

LAK Supply
04-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Suvorov is correct.... as long as it's reg'd you can do whatever you want to it (all NFA rules apply of course). I know several people in CA who have reg'd Mini's; their weapons had folding stocks and flash hiders. IIRC one guy has a shorty barrel as well that's reg'd state and fed.... I think different rules apply on that one, but I'm not sure.