PDA

View Full Version : CCW AR15?

ASTAR27
08-19-2014, 9:52 PM
I am new to the CCW world and trying to educate myself before getting involved in it. I know that I can only have guns registered to myself on my CCW and I bought an M&P 40 Shield for CCW. What I'm wondering is, can I list my AR as well? Not that I would regularly try to carry it but I do go camping often and having it loaded and concealed in my truck would be of benefit.
Legal?
Thanks!

CSACANNONEER
08-19-2014, 9:56 PM
AR rifle or AR pistol? There is no way to get a rifle on a permit since, by definition, a rifle is not capable of being concealed. As far as an AR pistol goes, that would depend on your IA and their policies. Also, there is no law stating that a gun has to be registered to you to be put on your permit but, I don't know of an IA that doesn't make it their policy.

ASTAR27
08-19-2014, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I'm talking about my rifle.
Oh, maybe I misread the rules for CCW as far as registration. Does it depend on the county (Placer)?
Also, forgive my ignorance but what is an IA?

CSACANNONEER
08-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Issuing Agency.

No, I doubt you misread the requirements for your IA. I don't know of any IA that will allow an unregistered handgun on a permit. Ironically, once on a permit, they send the info to Ca DOJ and it would become "registered". But, the IAs aren't bright enough to figure that out.

Quiet
08-20-2014, 6:56 AM
CA has a License To Carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person. Which only allows the permit holder to conceal carry "handguns" that are listed on their permit. So, no rifles or shotguns can be listed on a CA LTC permit.

Mossy Man
08-20-2014, 7:13 AM
How would you conceal an AR Pistol?

Sling and a trenchcoat?

Mossy Man
08-20-2014, 7:19 AM
Oh forgot sunglasses and black leather gloves

CSACANNONEER
08-20-2014, 7:21 AM

Sling and a trenchcoat?

"Concealed carry" means more than just concealed on one's person.:facepalm: How about loaded, on the front seat of your car under a towel? That would be legal if on a permit. There are plenty of other ways too.:facepalm::facepalm:

Mossy Man
08-20-2014, 7:23 AM
"Concealed carry" means more than just concealed on one's person.:facepalm: How about loaded, on the front seat of your car under a towel? That would be legal if on a permit. There are plenty of other ways too.:facepalm::facepalm:

I know, I know.

I'm just fooling.

Actually an ARP might be a good CCW choice to keep a pseudo-SBR with you when you're out and about.

Thunder
08-20-2014, 7:27 AM
I am new to the CCW world and trying to educate myself before getting involved in it. I know that I can only have guns registered to myself on my CCW and I bought an M&P 40 Shield for CCW. What I'm wondering is, can I list my AR as well? Not that I would regularly try to carry it but I do go camping often and having it loaded and concealed in my truck would be of benefit.
Legal?
Thanks!
If you are camping then you can have any firearm with you at your new "temporary home". Now things may get sketchy depending on how far your truck is from your tent, but I think way less sketchy than if you had a CCW pistol in your truck not locked and not under your direct control.

My advice, skip the AR pistol CCW (I'm pretty sure Placer will say no anyway). And keep your AR in a bag in your tent. Fully legal and no need to take a slot on your CCW max of 3 firearms.

----Edit----

Placer wont even let you list a 5.56/.223 gun on a permit.

Permits will not be issued for weapons having a bullet with a specification of less than .25 calibers, nor greater than .45 calibers. Permits will not be issued for derringer or other “hide-away” type weapons.

Mossy Man
08-20-2014, 7:34 AM
^ easy just get a 7.62 upper instead

ElDub1950
08-20-2014, 7:34 AM
Legal?
Thanks!

In most cases, having a loaded firearm in your campsite is not prohibited. Some parks specifically prohibit it but in general it's fine. Check the local regs before you go.

And as others said, you can't have a long gun on a ccw permit.

Thunder
08-20-2014, 7:52 AM
Just so we are clear, what are we trying to shoot at?

- Humans
- Bears
- Hillbilly
- Hippies
- Mountain Lion
- Rabid Goats

In short I'm wondering why your current 40S&W shield and a can of bear spray wont suffice? Both should be legal in all parks/public lands.

Spoilerv2
08-20-2014, 9:11 AM

Sling and a trenchcoat?

In a kydex holster under a large 5.11 shirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TugGeimG0y4

Junkie
08-20-2014, 9:19 AM
If you are camping then you can have any firearm with you at your new "temporary home". Now things may get sketchy depending on how far your truck is from your tent, but I think way less sketchy than if you had a CCW pistol in your truck not locked and not under your direct control.

My advice, skip the AR pistol CCW (I'm pretty sure Placer will say no anyway). And keep your AR in a bag in your tent. Fully legal and no need to take a slot on your CCW max of 3 firearms.

----Edit----

Placer wont even let you list a 5.56/.223 gun on a permit.For an AR pistol, other calibers - like 300BLK - make a lot of sense. .223/5.56 don't do so great out of short barrels.

CK_32
08-20-2014, 9:24 AM
As it's already said above, but just to back up the info given.

The key term is Concealed Carry.

Should be self explanatory.

CK_32
08-20-2014, 9:25 AM
Just so we are clear, what are we trying to shoot at?

- Humans
- Bears
- Hillbilly
- Hippies
- Mountain Lion
- Rabid Goats

In short I'm wondering why your current 40S&W shield and a can of bear spray wont suffice? Both should be legal in all parks/public lands.

For a second I thought you said beers. I was going to come over slap you and take the beer you plan on wasting.

Unless it's Kobra, you can waste that piss in a bottle :ack2:

Librarian
08-20-2014, 10:14 AM
Thread drift.

Summary of pertinent info:

An IA - issuing agency - gets to determine what may be listed on the license to carry.

Only concealable handguns - including an AR/AK pistol - are eligible.