PDA

View Full Version : NRA or pro-2A credit card

krwada
08-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Hello All;
Is there such a thing as an NRA or pro-2A credit card? I am thinking about signing up for a rewards credit card. However, I would like to help support the NRA or a pro-2A effort.

I am interested in hearing from those of you who already have signed up for this.

YES...
Yes ... sigh ... I will read opinions too.
There are a lot of opinions here at Calguns ... I think I have a tough enough hide for this....

Paladin
08-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Hello All;
Is there such a thing as an NRA or pro-2A credit card? I am thinking about signing up for a rewards credit card. However, I would like to help support the NRA or a pro-2A effort.

I am interested in hearing from those of you who already have signed up for this.
I have NOT signed up for this. But fyi: http://www.nraaccounts.com/banner_web/

Eldraque
08-19-2014, 10:36 AM
I have had the NRA credit card for about a year and a half. I hate it.

1. Every purchase automatically donates a little to the NRA, then you get some rewards points as well. When i first got the card you could use rewards points to renew NRA membership which was awesome, but a few months ago they removed that option. Why?

2. It is SLOOOOOWWWWW. From making a purchase OR making a payment it usually takes 4-7 days to update your balance, also i had a fraudulent charge that took 4 months before they credited me back the money charged. Again, WHY? This is horrendous. My capital one card balance updates in less than 24 hours with payments, and usually less than an hour with purchases.

My recommendation, dont use credit cards at all. If you must have one use one of the larger companies like CapitalOne, or get a debit card from your credit union/bank. And just donate to the NRA/CalGuns manually

krwada
08-19-2014, 2:53 PM

1. Every purchase automatically donates a little to the NRA, then you get some rewards points as well. When i first got the card you could use rewards points to renew NRA membership which was awesome, but a few months ago they removed that option. Why?

2. It is SLOOOOOWWWWW. From making a purchase OR making a payment it usually takes 4-7 days to update your balance, also i had a fraudulent charge that took 4 months before they credited me back the money charged. Again, WHY? This is horrendous. My capital one card balance updates in less than 24 hours with payments, and usually less than an hour with purchases.

My recommendation, dont use credit cards at all. If you must have one use one of the larger companies like CapitalOne, or get a debit card from your credit union/bank. And just donate to the NRA/CalGuns manually

This is the kind of information I was looking for.

Thanks!
Ken

BumBum
08-19-2014, 3:07 PM
First National Bank Omaha is the issuer of the NRA credit card. I got a card with them back in the early 2000's (not an NRA card) and they were just awful to deal with. They would claim not to receive payments (these were the days before online bill pay was prevalent) and my interest rates would skyrocket. They would even skyrocket for no reason at all and I had to spend so much time on the phone with them. I never had such problems with other credit cards. I ended up paying it off and closing the damn thing years ago.

Californio
08-19-2014, 7:46 PM
USAA?

Lifeon2whls
08-19-2014, 7:57 PM
This is the kind of information I was looking for.

Thanks!
Ken

If you really want to make a difference, get a rewards card from Amex or someone that pays a % back on all purchases. We get an avg of 2% per year back on all purchases from our Costco Amex. We put EVERYTHING on this card and it equates to a nice check at the end of the year. If you still want to donate, take the check, cash it and then send the money to NRA or any other group that suits your fancy.

Garand1911
08-19-2014, 9:08 PM
I have the NRA card, had it for about 6 years now, and had no problems.
Its better than my citibank card.
You can cash in you reward points for Brownells gift cards, to buy gun parts.
I pay the card online, so never been late or had to deal with anything negative.
Interest rate could be better, but i pay in full every month. Again ive had worse cards.
If it helps the NRA, then i can put up with a bit of BS.

Ive also had a couple positive comments about the NRA when ive used it.

pacrat
08-19-2014, 10:15 PM
I pay the card online, so never been late or had to deal with anything negative.
Interest rate could be better, but i pay in full every month. Again ive had worse cards.

Same here on all counts, with exception of Citi comment. Never had one of their cards.

JM2c

ja308
08-26-2014, 12:00 PM

To answer your question regarding why you can no longer use your reward points to renew your NRA membership. I would guess and only guess that the NRA would like to see you spend your points on gun related items. They probably figure the renewal rate of 25 bucks is not a major factor when protecting RKBA . After all it was NRA president Marion Hammer who got CCWs in Florida . IIRC .

Its odd that you promote a credit card company ( bank) that has hired, wife beating, gun grabbing, Alec Baldwin !

Most RKBA that I know try to punish company's for hiring anti gun personalities .
They like I, feel if we withhold money from company's hiring anti gunners, these personalities will lose favor and their anti gun ideas will become less popular. At least they will have less wealth to fight against our rights .

I carry a Cabellas card, but now will look into the NRA card .

SanPedroShooter
08-28-2014, 5:31 AM

Mine works fine too.

Jeep67cj5
09-07-2014, 8:48 PM
First Omaha bank is the official NRA card. They have terrible customer service. I closed my account. I would not recommend getting them.

krwada
09-07-2014, 9:24 PM
... both pro and con.

Given that this is my money I am talking about... I think I shall continue to donate $$$ where ever I can.

Thanks to all who commented on this thread!

Ken

CZ man in LA
09-08-2014, 8:07 AM

The real question is why would you want to constantly renew your NRA membership when you could've be done with it by getting an one time life membership payment for $300 when they had that promo going on (basically paying little over 8.5 years worth of NRA annual fees in advance makes you a life member, the long run it's a better deal to just pay $300 up front).

cire raeb
09-19-2014, 5:59 AM
If it comes with free NRA membership, I would sign up for it.