PDA

View Full Version : Ohio 4 yrs later: "Few problems encountered with concealed carry"

Paladin
04-19-2008, 9:01 AM
Look at what we are up against: CoP's that actually think the 2nd A of the BoR only applies within your home. I don't know what constitution Chief McCoy supports, but it sure as heck ain't the US Constitution! In about 2 months the Supremes are going to give CLEOs like him a little lesson in Con Law.

http://www.auroraadvocate.com/news/article/3634102

Few problems encountered with concealed carry

April 16, 2008

by Marci Piltz

Record-Courier Reporter

Four years have passed since the first applicants obtained licenses to carry concealed handguns in Ohio.

Those license holders must now renew their licenses in order to keep them active.

Portage County Sheriff Duane Kaley said the licenses, which were first issued in April 2004, are good for four years from date of issuance.

Anyone wishing to keep their permit active must apply for a renewal, and can do so anytime within 90 days prior to the expiration date listed on the license.

Once the license expires, an additional 30-day grace period is allowed for renewal, Kaley said, but licensees are not allowed to legally carry a concealed weapon until the license is renewed.

The passage of the bill four years ago had some law enforcement officials skeptical of what might happen once the licenses were issued.

Ravenna Police Chief Randy McCoy said at the time he didn't think allowing citizens to walk around armed was a good idea.

On Feb. 22, he admitted the Ravenna police have not had any major issues. However, he said, he still is not a proponent of the act.

"DO I THINK you should be able to protect your home, your family and your property? Heck yeah. I believe in the Constitution and you should have the right to bear arms in your own home," he said.

A major concern McCoy voiced four years ago remains a concern for him today: Not much training is necessary or required to obtain a concealed carry permit.

"In law enforcement, we're constantly training and reviewing policies. A firearm is a deadly weapon, and we train each year in the proper use of it," McCoy said.

"Once you get a concealed carry license, you're in like Flynn until it expires."

Kaley said about 1,550 CCW licenses have been issued in Portage County since April 2004. Of those, he said, only five have been revoked and eight applicants denied after completion of a background check.

For those needing to renew their license -- the expiration date is printed on it -- an application for renewal can be obtained from the Portage County sheriff's office.

The application asks for all addresses lived at since the age of 18 and verification that the CCW pamphlet has been read, a new passport size color photo taken within 30 days of the renewal application, the original or renewed training certificate of competency and a valid photo identification.

Upon successful completion of a background check, a new license will be issued with the original license number with a new expiration date that is five years from the date of the renewal.

DURING THE renewal process, the current license will remain valid but must be surrendered to the sheriff's office upon issuance of the renewed license.

The original training certificate of competency is valid for license renewal purposes if the issue date is less than 6 years prior to the renewal application date.

If the original certificate is older than 6 years, then a renewed certificate of competency must be obtained with an issue date prior to the expiration of the original certificate.

If more than 6 years have elapsed since the original certificate issue date, then the entire 12 hour CCW course must be completed, with a new certificate issued, before a new CCW license can be applied for.

Kaley said applications for CCW license renewals can be picked up at the sheriff's office or by visiting the sheriff's Web site at www.co.portage.oh.us/sheriff.

A $55 money order must accompany a renewal application. Applications will be processed between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

While appointments are not required they are suggested to limit wait time. Appointments can be made by calling 330-678-7012.

bulgron
04-19-2008, 9:14 AM
The application asks for all addresses lived at since the age of 18 ....

Holy cow!

What happens if you can't come up with all those addresses? I moved early and often for many years there, and I doubt very much that I could list all the addresses I've ever lived at since leaving my parent's house.

Glad I'm not looking for a CCW in Ohio....

Casual Observer
04-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Holy cow!

What happens if you can't come up with all those addresses? I moved early and often for many years there, and I doubt very much that I could list all the addresses I've ever lived at since leaving my parent's house.

No. You're obviously far better off in California. :cool:

Knauga
04-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Holy cow!

You could probably piece together enough to have it correct to the best of your knowledge.

Of course they can and some counties do ask for all of that as well as employer information etc.

bulgron
04-19-2008, 11:45 AM
No. You're obviously far better off in California. :cool:

lol. Good point.

bulgron
04-19-2008, 11:48 AM
You could probably piece together enough to have it correct to the best of your knowledge.

Of course they can and some counties do ask for all of that as well as employer information etc.

You mean in California? Hmmm..... Interesting. I guess I should start going through old files and see how much I can piece together. Interesting exercise, anyway.

As for old employers, I work in high tech. Lots of little startups. Lots of big companies that died. It's a bit embarrassing to admit that none of my previous employers are still in business under the same business name as they existed when I worked for them. Sometimes I think I'm the kiss of death for a company. :D

Liberty1
04-20-2008, 7:52 AM
Ohio Consitution
1.04 Bearing arms; standing armies; military powers

"The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security; but standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and shall not be kept up; and the military shall be in strict subordination to the civil power."

No permission slip, no fees, no waiting period, no renewal, no Sheriff's opinionated drabble needed!

A free people open carry. Congrats Ohio on securing that right and getting your privileges recognized.

:)