PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Firearms to California Questions...

twofoldway
04-19-2008, 2:21 AM
Hey there fellow Calgunners,

I have a couple questions regarding bringing in firearms to California. I was hoping y'all would have some answers for me.

I have a friend from another state coming to college here in California (Seriously, this is for real. It's really a friend, not hypothetically me). He's interesting in bringing his rifle here to California and has expressed interest in selling it to me.

My question here is, can he sell this rifle to me here even if he's not a resident of this state? What paperwork, if any, does he need on his end for the rifle? I believe he got it at a gun show and don't know if anything was recorded for the sale. (I have no idea what the laws regarding long gun transfers are in another state.)

The rifle is a newish Savage .17 HMR bolt-action rifle.

I assume I'll have to run it through a FFL with all the fees and waiting periods required by law.

Thanks,
Ed

Mssr. Eleganté
04-19-2008, 3:04 AM
If he gets a California drivers' license then you can do a transfer through a local Dealer for $35.

If he doesn't get a California drivers' license then you will still have to do the transfer through a local Dealer, but the Dealer can charge you whatever he wants.

Or you guys could become Domestic Partners and just transfer the gun as a transmutation of property under California Family Law.

twofoldway
04-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Domestic Partners? I like the guy, but not enough to have my anus violated by him, thanks.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Domestic Partners? I like the guy, but not enough to have my anus violated by him, thanks.

Just because you are married it doesn't mean you have to have sex. Ask most of the married guys on this board. :p

bwiese
04-19-2008, 2:10 PM

TMI!!!