PDA

View Full Version : Oakland liquor store worker shoots robbery suspect

chickenfried
04-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Maybe if a few more criminals got holes put in em...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/18/BAE71081HV.DTL

mecam
04-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Good job by the clerk for shooting the MOFO!! :hurray:

http://www.ktvu.com/news/15922503/detail.html

OAKLAND, Calif. -- A suspected armed bandit was in custody at a local hospital Friday after a robbery attempt at an Oakland convenience store ended with a wild shootout between a clerk and the suspected robbers.

Authorities and witnesses told KTVU that two armed gunmen walked into the Wah Fay Market at East 21st St. and 8th Ave. about 9:30 p.m. Thursday. They pulled out their weapons, demanded cash and held store workers at gun point.

An altercation ensued with the bandits opening fire. Those volleys were returned by at least one armed clerk, who wounded one of the gunmen. A witness told KTVU that the store worker chased the wounded bandit down the street, shooting him again and held him until police arrived.

"When I got out here, there was a guy lying on the street," a neighbor who asked not to be identified, told KTVU. "There was the guy who was shot, lying on the ground…He was one of the guys had been trying to rob the store."

Arriving police officers quickly transported the man to a local hospital for treatment. The other gunman remained at large. No one in the store was injured, but the market's front window was riddled with bullet holes.

Police said the incident remained under investigation.

ivanimal
04-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Holy crap!:eek:

mecam
04-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Waiters and waitresses should be packing in Oakland restaurants. :D

Saigon1965
04-18-2008, 11:44 AM
For the lazies.

Buzz up!Oakland liquor store worker shoots robbery suspect
Henry K. Lee, Chronicle Staff Writer

Friday, April 18, 2008

(04-18) 09:15 PDT OAKLAND -- An employee of an Oakland liquor store shot and wounded a would-robber, police said today.

The incident happened about 9:30 p.m. Thursday at the Wah Fay liquor store near the corner of East 21st Street and Eighth Avenue in the city's San Antonio neighborhood, police Sgt. Larry Krupp said.

The employee opened fire after two men entered the store and demanded money, police said. The injured suspect, whose name was not immediately released, was taken to a local hospital. The wounds did not appear to be life-threatening, authorities said. It was not immediately known what happened to the other suspect.

The shooting comes at a time of heightened concern over robberies in the East Bay.

Police in Oakland, Emeryville and Berkeley are investigating a series of eight takeover robberies at restaurants over the past month. Oakland police are also trying to identify a man they have dubbed the "Chicken Hawk" because of his tendency to rob fast-food restaurants that serve chicken.

The liquor-store shooting also underscores the measures some store employees are taking.

In April 2007, the owner of a pizzeria at 89th Avenue and International Boulevard in East Oakland shot and killed a would-be robber armed with an assault rifle. A month later, a clerk at a liquor store on 28th Avenue in Oakland shot and killed a 17-year-old who had fired first.

Saigon1965
04-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Chickenfried, is this you?

[QUOTE=saigon1965;1147520]Police in Oakland, Emeryville and Berkeley are investigating a series of eight takeover robberies at restaurants over the past month. Oakland police are also trying to identify a man they have dubbed the "Chicken Hawk" because of his tendency to rob fast-food restaurants that serve chicken.
QUOTE]

WokMaster1
04-18-2008, 11:59 AM
wow! No word on if the OPD would try to find fault with the clerk. I hope not just to send a message across that enough is enough. People are trying to take back the streets.

mymonkeyman
04-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Yea I don't think it was wise for the clerk to run out of the store and shoot the guy running away.

I am also amazed at how often there are these types of shoot outs with relatively few injuries. I guess I can only be glad that the street criminals don't actually know how to shoot well.

mecam
04-18-2008, 12:07 PM
I guess I can only be glad that the street criminals don't actually know how to shoot well.

I really don't see how you can shoot accurately shooting sideways. :D

Here's proof. (NSFW)
http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=433347245&channel=245991519

-

GammaRei
04-18-2008, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=saigon1965;1147520]Police in Oakland, Emeryville and Berkeley are investigating a series of eight takeover robberies at restaurants over the past month. Oakland police are also trying to identify a man they have dubbed the "Chicken Hawk" because of his tendency to rob fast-food restaurants that serve chicken.
QUOTE]

This is great to hear. I wonder what the fallout will be for the people who shot the criminals. Plus Im curious if the Chicken Bandit took some chicken too.

- G

Eric_Oh
04-18-2008, 12:12 PM
good going for the store clerk. Wonder what the robbers were armed with. Regardless, i'm glad to hear that the clerk took action and the results were in his favor. My dad used to own a liquor store until he sold it after 3 robberies.

kilword
04-18-2008, 12:13 PM
crazy, i was just over by there the other day for a job I was on.
but that was in the day time. :D

rivviepop
04-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Yea I don't think it was wise for the clerk to run out of the store and shoot the guy running away.

Agreed, but if they tried to bring up charges and I was sitting on a jury, I would completely believe a "heat of the moment" defense and that he wasn't thinking clearly due to factors beyond his control. Having been mugged at gunpoint before, complying with the law is not exactly the thing foremost in your mind at that time... part of your common sense just flies out the window, you are in 100% self-preservation mode, it's either you or them. period.

Fjold
04-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Can we send the clerk a box of ammuntion to make up for what he shot?

BTW :dupe:

Chickenfried beat you, posting this story.

huck
04-18-2008, 12:38 PM
This is great to hear. I wonder what the fallout will be for the people who shot the criminals. Plus Im curious if the Chicken Bandit took some chicken too.

- G

The robber will probably sue the clerk who shot him...and win.

jimbo1747
04-18-2008, 2:31 PM
In April 2007, the owner of a pizzeria at 89th Avenue and International Boulevard in East Oakland shot and killed a would-be robber armed with an assault rifle. A month later, a clerk at a liquor store on 28th Avenue in Oakland shot and killed a 17-year-old who had fired first.

I'd be interested to know if this pizzeria and liquor store have ever had another robbery attempt since? I think not!

Spaceghost
04-18-2008, 3:17 PM
If I owned the store, I would give the employee a bonus and put another tally mark on my window. Sweet!

NRAhighpowershooter
04-18-2008, 3:55 PM
The Cronicle has the story worng... The bad guys fired first on the clerk who then returned fire and hit one bad guy.. there were 3 or 4 witnesses in the store (local residents) whole saw the who thing.... this was reported this a.m. on Ch. 2 news and verified by OPD in the same story.

ChibiPaw
04-21-2008, 5:46 PM
I heard this on the radio today, and felt it there might be some awakening in california. Baby step to the right direction? But now there are worries if everyone are armed, "things will get out of hand".

Oakland Police Worried About Increased Vigilantism

OAKLAND, Calif. (KCBS) -- Oakland police are worried that more and more people will take the law into their own hands, after two store owners shot two robbers in recent days.
People have a right to protect themselves, but things can get out of hand quickly if everyone starts packing a weapon, said Deputy Police Chief Dave Kozicki.

"That's a concern that law enforcement has all the time, that people will engage in vigilantism," said Kozicki.

A 22-year-old Oakland man was shot at least three times and critically wounded when he tried to hold up a liquor store Saturday night. And an 18-year-old Pittsburg teenager was shot and wounded when he tried to rob a store last Thursday night.

http://www.kcbs.com/Oakland-Police-Worried-About-Increased-Vigilantism/2043948

rivviepop
04-21-2008, 6:04 PM
What BS. What you should be concerned about, Mr. Police spokesperson, is getting the real criminals off the streets so the robberies don't happen in the first place. When the law organizations can no longer protect the people, the people have no choice but to protect themselves. That is not a vigilante, that is a law abiding citizen.

pullnshoot25
04-21-2008, 9:43 PM
Damn! Good job dude.

Smokeybehr
04-22-2008, 6:58 AM
I really don't see how you can shoot accurately shooting sideways. :D

Here's proof. (NSFW)
http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=433347245&channel=245991519

-

That's video documentation of exactly what I found out many years ago.

Maybe he needed some of those Homeboy Night Sights. :jump:
(http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-gag.html)

socalguns
04-22-2008, 7:07 AM
he arrested him after witnessing him commiting a felony :) perfectly legal

Piper
04-22-2008, 7:54 AM
I heard this on the radio today, and felt it there might be some awakening in california. Baby step to the right direction? But now there are worries if everyone are armed, "things will get out of hand".

OAKLAND, Calif. (KCBS) -- Oakland police are worried that more and more people will take the law into their own hands, after two store owners shot two robbers in recent days.
People have a right to protect themselves, but things can get out of hand quickly if everyone starts packing a weapon, said Deputy Police Chief Dave Kozicki.

[QUOTE]"That's a concern that law enforcement has all the time, that people will engage in vigilantism," said Kozicki.

A 22-year-old Oakland man was shot at least three times and critically wounded when he tried to hold up a liquor store Saturday night. And an 18-year-old Pittsburg teenager was shot and wounded when he tried to rob a store last Thursday night.

Worried that people will defend themselves? The unintended consequences are coming home to roost. The courts allow plea bargains and the government wants everyone disarmed. Well, it appears that those store owners just flipped the government of Oakland the figuartive bird and said no.

mecam
04-22-2008, 9:05 AM
Check out this clerk. He's got a vest on and a Glock stuffed down his pants. He needs a holster IMO. :D I wonder if that Glock was purchased legally? :)

http://www.ktvu.com/video/15951239/index.html

--

Red_5
04-22-2008, 9:09 AM
Good job! Props to the store personnel for not being victims.

Nemo
04-22-2008, 9:42 AM
Arrrgh. Oakland is having a fairly intense spring in terms of crime, and OPD is worried about people defending themselves? It seems, to say the least, misplaced.

I'm glad that neither of those stores were successfully robbed. Any way we could offer some training/gun safety mentoring to the store owners?

Sawdust
04-22-2008, 10:21 AM

"That's a concern that law enforcement has all the time, that people will engage in vigilantism," said Kozicki.

Deputy Police Chief Kozicki is a certified moron.

Defending oneself = vigilantism? Sheesh.

Sawdust

CCWFacts
04-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Note that 99% of the comments on SFGate are positive, pro-gun, pro-self-defense. Some of them specifically are pro-CCW.

99%.

Zhukov
04-22-2008, 1:09 PM
In the KTVU video the OPD is a lot less standoffish on the issue and mainly just reiterates that the people should be sure to follow the law.

All I know is if I ran any business that was like a liquor store I'd be packing at all times. My local Lucky's now has an armed security guard because **** hit the fan too many times.

Solidsnake87
04-22-2008, 1:28 PM
I've never been to oakland. It does not sound like a vacation localle to me. :p

chickenfried
04-22-2008, 2:17 PM
Another citizen of oakland defends themselves.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/22/BAO5109V45.DTL&tsp=1

jimbo1747
04-22-2008, 2:50 PM
Here's the article that chickenfried posted:

Burglar shot: 'We're going to defend ourselves,' neighbor says

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

(04-22) 14:20 PDT Oakland - --

A North Oakland resident shot and critically injured a suspected burglar this morning in the resident's home, police said, the third time in a week that a would-be crime victim in the city has fought back with gunfire.

The shooting happened about 8 a.m. in a home on the 600 block of 59th Street near Shattuck Avenue, police spokesman Officer Roland Holmgren said. Police did not immediately release the name of the suspect or the resident.

Today's shooting took place a block from where 59th Street resident Patrick McCullough shot and wounded a 15-year-old boy outside his home in February 2005 after 15 young men surrounded him in his front yard, shouting, "Kill the snitch." The shooting capped a series of confrontations between McCullough and young men who police believed were drug dealers.

"We're going to defend ourselves by any means necessary," said McCullough, who is running for Oakland City Council, said after today's shooting. He was not home at the time of the shooting but said he returned quickly after receiving a call from his alarmed wife.

He said residents and businesses need to arm and defend themselves because Oakland lacks enough police officers and effective anti-crime programs, including productive opportunities for young people.

"It shows crime is out control and that the people in charge of bringing crime under control are not doing their job," he said.

On Saturday night, an armed man who tried to rob Ed's Liquors on 23rd Avenue in East Oakland was shot three times and wounded by the store owner, who also was wounded in the leg in an exchange of gunfire, police said. Two days before that, a clerk at Wah Fay 8th Avenue Corner Market shot and wounded and 18-year-old Pittsburg man who allegedly tried to rob the store.

Based on descriptions from 59th Street neighbors, McCullough said he recognizes the wounded burglary suspect as someone he has seen hanging out on the street and staying at a house that has been the target of complaints about drug-dealing and other criminal activity.

A man at a home close to the house where the burglary suspect was shot said drug-dealing occurs continuously on the street.

"They do drugs all day long," said the man, who asked not to be identified to avoid potential retribution. "It's really, really bad."

He said many problems seem concentrated around Klippers barber shop around the corner on Shattuck Avenue where one night two weeks ago he heard between 17 and 20 gunshots, followed by three men fleeing on foot and attempting to run between houses on the street.

No one answered a reporter's knock this afternoon at the two-story house where the shooting occurred.

I don't live in Oakland, but if I did, this guy Patrick McCullough would get my vote for city council.

mecam
04-22-2008, 3:46 PM
Another citizen of oakland defends themselves.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/22/BAO5109V45.DTL&tsp=1

I like this guy's comment. :D

vern19774/22/2008 4:40:29 PM

I have my house insured by Colt, Ruger, Remington, Walther, Sako, Marlin, and Winchester. Come on dirt bags make my day!