PDA

View Full Version : WALMART and Bloomberg

Waldog
04-17-2008, 7:54 AM
WALMART recently signed an agreement with NYC Mayor Bloomberg that is very nearly as bad as the S&W deal a couple of years back. As I understand it, WALMART will now keep copies of all gun transactions so that BLOOMBERG can have his own private gun registry.

Does anyone have any further info on this and should we all contact the WALMART CEO and tell him we are boycotting?:chris:

Does anyone have WALMARTS corporate headquarters address?

Waldog
04-17-2008, 7:56 AM
I just found this on another thread:

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2008/apr/14/wal-mart-agrees-nyc-mayor-bloomberg-toughen-gun-po/

zinfull
04-17-2008, 8:54 AM
Is it as bad as not selling fire arms. Why would this piss you off more than what they did in CA, no fire arms and restricted ammo sale?

Jerry

E Pluribus Unum
04-17-2008, 9:02 AM
Two things from the article:

Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, had previously tried to establish a store in New York City but failed.

Um, since when does a mayor have the ability to stop a private entity from purchasing property and opening a store. These should be constitutionally protected rights.

The mayors' gun summit also unveiled a new lobbying effort to close what they call the “gun show loophole” that allows people to purchase guns without background checks at gun shows.

There is a manditory instant background check on the federal level, is there not?

E Pluribus Unum
04-17-2008, 9:03 AM
Is it as bad as not selling fire arms. Why would this piss you off more than what they did in CA, no fire arms and restricted ammo sale?

Jerry

They did that because they sold a gun to a convicted felon whose background check was denied. They voluntarily gave it up to avoid prosecution.

hawk1
04-17-2008, 9:05 AM
They did that because they sold a gun and delivered it to a convicted felon whose background check was denied. They voluntarily gave it up to avoid prosecution.

I fixed that for you...:)

E Pluribus Unum
04-17-2008, 9:30 AM
I fixed that for you...:)

Delivery is assumed. If the background check is denied, the rifle never changes ownership. If I pay for a rifle, that rifle is not legally my property until I accept it from the FFL.

Case in point:

I buy a rifle from an FFL. I wait 10 days and I come to pick it up. I say something stupid and tick off the FFL. The FFL can cancel the DROS and refund my money because the rifle is not technically mine until he hands it to me.

dfletcher
04-17-2008, 10:29 AM
I wonder if this is a business decision based on a presumption that eventually (as in a few years eventually, not a few months) other stores to include Mom & Pop gun stores will be bulldozed into doing this and, being less able to absorb the cost of equipment, compliance and record keeping will have to pass on the cost to customers; or be otherwise unable to comply and giving WalMart an advantage.

cadurand
04-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Um, since when does a mayor have the ability to stop a private entity from purchasing property and opening a store. These should be constitutionally protected rights.Oh please, city leaders have lots of control over what companies get to do in their cities.

It works both ways. If they want a company to come to their city they start giving away all kinds of money to get them to build in their city. For example some Walmarts get to KEEP the salestax they collect in some places. It was part of the deal they made to build in that area. Imagine you pay a tax, or think you are paying a tax, and a corporation gets to keep it.

In other areas where the city doesn't want them they just don't get the right zoning or they don't get the permits needed to build. I lived in a city that stopped a Home Depot from opening up because the local residents didn't want it in their neighborhood. Home Depot owned the property and eventually sold it off.

Owning property in some areas(usually urban) comes with a lot of restrictions. Sort of goes against the whole idea of owning property.

Equalizer2
04-18-2008, 12:14 PM
See if your Mayor is on the List.

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/media-center/pr007-08.shtml