PDA

View Full Version : Nothing to see, move along please

redcliff
04-16-2008, 10:27 PM
:eek:

DISREGARD< I didn't see the secret 2nd date on the article ....

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060410/NEWS01/604100333

""It's really their killing potential," Alison Merrilees, legal counsel for the Firearms Division of the attorney general's office, said in explaining why assault weapons were banned. "The pistol grip allows them to be sprayed randomly. You can kill lots of people without having to reload."

A pistol grip gives a weapon more support and better positioning.

The receivers were first discovered by firearms agents at a Northern California gun show in November. Since then, lawyers for Attorney General Bill Lockyer have been studying legal options and expect to decide this week what to recommend to the Legislature."

Bruce
04-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Old news. That article is from April 10, 2006.

MonsterMan
04-16-2008, 10:54 PM
It's funny, all they had to do was update the list and allow a small amount of people to register their newly acquired rifles as AW's and it would have all been over with.

Now two years later and thousands upon thousands upon thousands of receivers have been purchased and built into functioning rifles and the only thing they did was take their power to update the list away so we can keep on buying and building more.

If I didn't know better, they actually helped us out by not listing. :p

oaklander
04-16-2008, 11:02 PM
It's almost like they didn't understand the consequences of AB 2728.

;)

It's funny, all they had to do was update the list and allow a small amount of people to register their newly acquired rifles as AW's and it would have all been over with.

Now two years later and thousands upon thousands upon thousands of receivers have been purchased and built into functioning rifles and the only thing they did was take their power to update the list away so we can keep on buying and building more.

redcliff
04-16-2008, 11:04 PM
:banghead:

Duh, my apologies guys, the date at the top of the page said April 16, 2008.....

mymonkeyman
04-16-2008, 11:10 PM
A little off-topic, but can anyone explain why when I look up Allison Merrilees on the California state bar attorney roster, her e-mail address is listed @sen.ca.gov? What does she have to do with the California senate?

bwiese
04-16-2008, 11:49 PM
A little off-topic, but can anyone explain why when I look up Allison Merrilees on the California state bar attorney roster, her e-mail address is listed @sen.ca.gov? What does she have to do with the California senate?

It's outdated data. But she was a consultant/ staffer for (state) Sen. Jack Scott. She helped write much of the 'unsafe handgun' suite of laws (PC12125 et seq).

She transitioned over to DOJ FD. While she used the title of "Deputy AG" she may or may not actually be formally serving in that position now and may just be a lawyer in the BoF, and just gets to print that on her biz card and letters. Her voicemail greeting message intones that she's "counsel to the Firearms Bureau" - and she updated that recording when the Firearms Division was demoted to Bureau status in beginning of 2007.

Hell, she may still be a temporary employee - at least that's what she appeared to be in 2006 when she caused all that drama for Bill "Naughty Nurse" Lockyer.

Stories are going around - since she's been fairly quiet lately except a coupla issues - that she's a mommy-tracker part timer: if her kids have the flu, some BoF legal matter may go unaddressed for awhile.

Ford8N
04-17-2008, 5:17 AM

Very ironic. This is like the third wave of AW style firearms I've seen in this state. The first ended with Roberti-Roos, second with SB23. Now this site and some persistent, clever folks here have started the third. Of course, the Legislature make it so easy by writing bad law and only relying on the Brady's for input on what is an "evil" gun.:p