PDA

View Full Version : probation and firearms ???

SkyMag68
04-16-2008, 7:10 PM
NEED HELP...what's the law regarding adult probation and firearms storage in the house??? let say the person on probation is not home and probation officers show up what can they do and cannot do once they in the house....lik goin through every room,closet,dirty laundry etc.

CSDGuy
04-16-2008, 7:15 PM
Two questions need to be answered before anyone can continue:

1) Searchable or non-searchable probation?

2) Is firearms ownership prohibited during the term of probation?

mymonkeyman
04-16-2008, 7:42 PM
This is a talk to a lawyer type of question. A lawyer consulting the law, and talking to the person's Parole/Probation officer is going to result in a much better outcome (irrespective of the law) than asking an internet forum.

CSDGuy
04-16-2008, 7:45 PM
This is a talk to a lawyer type of question. A lawyer consulting the law, and talking to the person's Parole/Probation officer is going to result in a much better outcome (irrespective of the law) than asking an internet forum.
Yep. The terms of probation and underlying conviction would essentially spell out what the gun ownership issues by that person will be.

StraightShooter
04-16-2008, 7:50 PM
Probation terms should be spelled out very specifically. I know for a fact that just simply being on probation does not exclude you from buying and owning firearms. In order for you to not be able to own/buy firearms it must be stated in the probationary terms that you are not allowed to do so.

SkyMag68
04-16-2008, 7:52 PM
its searchable probation..
yes he prohibited from ownin firearms during term of the probation..
is the law required that i lock my firearms??

DesertGunner
04-16-2008, 8:35 PM
its searchable probation..
yes he prohibited from ownin firearms during term of the probation..
is the law required that i lock my firearms??

Sounds like locking them up would be the smart thing to do, whether or not it is required.

tyrist
04-16-2008, 8:54 PM
He cannot have any "access" to any firearms. Locking them up would be a minimum and would be best to remove them from the residence. You could not even really remove them from the safe while he was in the house since he could potentially be considered as having access. If he is on searchable probation he was probably convicted of some kind of felony or weapons violation.