PDA

View Full Version : What happens if Federal Assault weapon ban is reinstated?

diddler
04-15-2008, 9:54 PM
All,

Curious about the possibility of the Federal assault weapon ban coming back, I've heard Obama has voiced that he'd like it to be reinstated.

I didn't own guns back in '94 when it went into affect, so I don't know what the process was. I'm assuming that if you already owned one of these naughty, naughty weapons you had to register it as an assault weapon, at your own cost. True? Is that what we'd expect if it comes back around?

Also, something that I don't recall reading about before, why was the original ban given a 10 year sunset date? Seems odd that the gun-grabbers would allow any notion of giving rights back to the people after a certain date.

Ryan

Rob454
04-15-2008, 9:59 PM
I dont think it would pass again Too much $$ to be made

Rob

Mssr. Eleganté
04-15-2008, 10:01 PM
The old Federal ban only applied to the manufacture of new guns. Previously owned guns were not registered and could still be bought and sold.

The ban had a 10 year sunset because the gun banners couldn't get enough votes to pass the law otherwise.

There is no reason to believe that a new ban would be the same as the old ban, so we don't know what to expect.

Even though the Democrats gained control of Congress in the last election, most of the new members were pro-gun Democrats, so a new ban isn't likely.

jjperl
04-15-2008, 10:02 PM
not gonna happen, so there's noting to really worry about.

PolishMike
04-15-2008, 10:04 PM
nothing would change. If they write it anything like the CA ban then the biggest thing that will change for us is that the price of bullet buttons will plummet (after a short-term surge in price).

hoffmang
04-15-2008, 10:15 PM
A new federal AW ban is foreclosed by not enough anti-gun votes in the Senate and the outcome of Heller.

-Gene

DesertGunner
04-16-2008, 6:49 AM
Also, something that I don't recall reading about before, why was the original ban given a 10 year sunset date? Seems odd that the gun-grabbers would allow any notion of giving rights back to the people after a certain date.

Ryan

I don't think you understand how Congress works. Any major piece of legislation is going to be amended in order to get support from as many legislators as it takes in order to pass. The 10 year sunset was a compromise in order to get support from Senators/Congressmen who would otherwise vote against the bill.

tgriffin
04-16-2008, 7:15 AM
The Dem's know now that a gun ban of 1994's magnatude is effectively political suicide. There is a reason we had a republican legislature for the majority of the time up until we invaded Iraq.

tombinghamthegreat
04-16-2008, 8:45 AM
If it were to be reinstated it would be McCarthy's version of the assault rifle bill which would effectively ban nearly every semi auto gun and any type of gun used by our own military. The law would be a nightmare but then again the outcome of the Heller case would hopefully prevent this from happening.

bwiese
04-16-2008, 9:36 AM
The overall progun (or at least not-antigun) stance of US Congress & Senate actually improved a bit in 2006 elections. Even with a possible Democrat prez, the skew in House/Senate will not change that much - plus we have upcoming Heller.

I don't see a Fed AWB on the radar - even a reintroduction of a weaker-than-1994 version. (i.e, HR1022 is a puff piece with no hope of going further.) And since the original has completely sunset, even if a new one were attempted about it would be wholly new law and figuring out what it'd have would be idle speculation.

I'm puzzled why Californians are worried about these irrelevancies when there are so many California-level issues needing attention & fighting.

secretasianman
04-16-2008, 4:58 PM
The last proposed Federal AW ban I read was mirrored very closely to the CA ban... except they added some more commonly owned weapons by name: Mini-14 and the M1 Carbine to name two that I can remember off the top of my head.

Can someone please explain why the Heller case would prevent a new AW ban? As I understand it: Even if we win Heller, the government could still neuter our weapons.

hoffmang
04-16-2008, 5:35 PM
If we win Heller it certainly applies to the Federal government and its not going to allow a ban on some semi-automatic rifles without something particularly articulable about them beyond cosmetics that makes them dangerous.

-Gene

Harrison_Bergeron
04-16-2008, 6:18 PM
How will Heller be used in CA? Can the interested groups just file a civil suit against the state to get the conflicting laws overturned, or does someone have to actually be charged with breaking the law for it to be heard?

aplinker
04-16-2008, 6:27 PM
What happens when a unicorn mates with a leprechaun?

mymonkeyman
04-16-2008, 6:41 PM
How will Heller be used in CA? Can the interested groups just file a civil suit against the state to get the conflicting laws overturned, or does someone have to actually be charged with breaking the law for it to be heard?

To make it easy: You can typically, but not always, challenge a statute's constitutionality in a civil lawsuit prior to being charged, but it is more difficult. How easy or difficult will likely depend on the decision in Heller.

Fjold
04-16-2008, 6:41 PM
What happens when a unicorn mates with a leprechaun?

You get a horny, little centaur.

Hopi
04-16-2008, 8:30 PM
You get a horny, little centaur.

Speaking of nonsense...
Hillary just said she would REINSTATE THE FEDERAL AW BAN during the debate. Straight out of her mouth.

Stanze
04-16-2008, 8:35 PM
"What's so reasonable about a total ban on possession?"

-Chief Supreme Court Justice Roberts

Hopi
04-16-2008, 8:39 PM
"What's so reasonable about a total ban on possession?"

-Chief Supreme Court Justice Roberts

I know, i love it!

Hillary later went on to say that the federal .gov shouldn't be able to decide blanket policies re: guns, and instead, communities should be able to legislate themselves (referring to fed court overturning the DC ban). How is a federal AW ban not the same type of blanket .gov policy?

dustoff31
04-16-2008, 8:49 PM
I know, i love it!

Hillary later went on to say that the federal .gov shouldn't be able to decide blanket policies re: guns, and instead, communities should be able to legislate themselves (referring to fed court overturning the DC ban). How is a federal AW ban not the same type of blanket .gov policy?

Just more blabber from her. If we apply the standard she just gave, the City of XXX should be able to allow citizens to posses NFA items, fed and state laws be damned.

Hopi
04-16-2008, 8:56 PM
Just more blabber from her. If we apply the standard she just gave, the City of XXX should be able to allow citizens to posses NFA items, fed and state laws be damned.

Of course, but it was such an obvious contradiction it shows she truly hasn't even thought about the issue beyond memorizing the scary Brady vocabulary.

secretasianman
04-17-2008, 4:45 AM
Speaking of nonsense...
Hillary just said she would REINSTATE THE FEDERAL AW BAN during the debate. Straight out of her mouth.

I think we all know where the Democrat party leadership stands on the AW Ban and gun control in general.

Bizcuits
04-17-2008, 12:02 PM
If Hillary gets in office, I wouldn't put anything passed her....

I kinda envision a lot more Americans dieing by infernos and sniper fire... :(

Trader Jack
04-17-2008, 9:40 PM
I'm puzzled why Californians are worried about these irrelevancies when there are so many California-level issues needing attention & fighting."[/QUOTE]

Right on Big Bill. We need to kick some *** on the California Firearm Laws.
I can not understand why a lawsuit was never filed to overturn the "Safe Gun" B.S. You pay the money and it is a safe gun. You reneged on the payment and the same gun becomes unsafe. Bull **** from the get go.:chris:

CCWFacts
04-17-2008, 9:44 PM
A new federal AW ban is foreclosed by not enough anti-gun votes in the Senate and the outcome of Heller.

Way not enough votes. The last one just barely squeaked by, at a huge political cost to the Dems, and then guess what, all they accomplished was banning flash hiders and making Glock magazines really expensive for ten years until it expired. That was worth losing control of Congress, and also losing two presidential elections? The pain finally taught them to try to stay away from the gun issue.

tenpercentfirearms
04-18-2008, 5:15 AM
DON'T LISTEN TO ANY OF THESE GUYS! THEY ALL HAVE THEIR HEAD IN THE SAND!

I sell guns for a living so I pay more attention to this than any of these tools. A federal ban is coming as soon as the democrats take the white house. That means you have about 1 year to get as many "assault weapons" as you can before they are banned. If you don't buy it now, then you are never going to get it. This ban is going to be way worse than the first one and pretty much all semi-autos, including 10/22s will be banned.

Mark my words, if you don't get it now, you never will. I know what I am going to spend my economy stimulus refund check on. Guns. If you are smart, you will too.

And you can spend your money at www.tenpercentfirearms.com.

AngelDecoys
04-18-2008, 5:20 AM

I sell guns for a living so I pay more attention to this than any of these tools. A federal ban is coming as soon as the democrats take the white house. That means you have about 1 year to get as many "assault weapons" as you can before they are banned. If you don't buy it now, then you are never going to get it. This ban is going to be way worse than the first one and pretty much all semi-autos, including 10/22s will be banned.

Mark my words, if you don't get it now, you never will. I know what I am going to spend my economy stimulus refund check on. Guns. If you are smart, you will too.

I'm with you!!!!!! I'm liquidating my 401k, my rentals, and my other assets and turning them into firearms. As soon as I can, I will be in your store so you can hook me up. :)

Got to love sarcasm. Almost fell for it this early in the morning. Fortunately, I have been fortified by a cup of joe.

deebix
04-18-2008, 9:44 AM
same here ^ . And I better be damned exempt after owning them because im 99.99% inclined not to register shiz to the govt.

Paratus et Vigilans
04-18-2008, 9:58 AM

Wes, you're an evil genius . . . but still evil! :43:

hoffmang
04-18-2008, 10:36 AM

I sell guns for a living so I pay more attention to this than any of these tools.

I always love misaligned incentives! :krkplk:

-Gene

Scarecrow Repair
04-18-2008, 12:32 PM
I always love misaligned incentives! :krkplk:

-Gene

Yeh, too much windage.