PDA

View Full Version : Rep. Boozman of Ak gets it right..

bg
04-15-2008, 5:16 PM
Hope this passes. Be nice if it did.
http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2008/04/14/news/041508dcgunrecip.txt
WASHINGTON -- Americans with state-
issued concealed weapons permits would be allowed
to carry guns wherever they travel in the country
under a bill introduced Monday by 3rd District
Rep. John Boozman, R-Rogers.

The measure would eliminate a mishmash of
concealed weapons regulations that vary from
state to state, Boozman contends. All states
would be forced to recognize concealed
handgun permits from elsewhere.

Gun control advocates oppose the bill. They
say that gun permit standards in some states
are so weak that other jurisdictions deserve
the right to refuse those license holders.

Boozman said the bill ensures Second Amendment
rights.

"I've always felt like you can have a gun, openly
display it, and there not be a problem," he said.
That some states reject licensed permits from
other states "infringes on the Constitution."
Amen !

bulgron
04-15-2008, 5:19 PM
So if this passes and I get my Nevada out of state permit, then I can legally carry here in CA and the sheriff can't say anything about it? (Well, provided I stay within the law, that is.)

BlueOvalBruin
04-15-2008, 5:26 PM
So if this passes and I get my Nevada out of state permit, then I can legally carry here in CA and the sheriff can't say anything about it? (Well, provided I stay within the law, that is.)

That would be fantastic if it happens, only for me I'de probably go for a Utah permit.

BillCA
04-15-2008, 5:53 PM
This would apparently treat any state's permit like a driver's license and make it good in any other state. Cool idea.

But before you get too excited, just considered what some states, especially California, might do. They might pass a law to recognize only permits given to residents of those other states, not non-resident permits. That would likely fulfil the intent of the legislation while denying California residents the ability to CCW.

Liberty1
04-15-2008, 5:53 PM
I think it is worded such that if your state allows you to carry concealed another state must recognize your ability to carry. This I think would even apply to Vermont where no license is needed. So just ones status as a Vermont resident would qualify. Californians with out a LTC may be SOL.

bulgron
04-15-2008, 6:01 PM
That's nice. So people from other states have more of a right to carry in California than I do, even though I'm a resident here?

What do I have to do, again, in order to get the sheriff to uphold the constitution?

dustoff31
04-15-2008, 7:43 PM
This has been a periennal bill for several years. Last year, or the year before it was introduced by a CA Rep. Doolittle from the bay area.

Hopefully, a favorable Heller ruling will provide the boost to get this over the bar this time.