PDA

View Full Version : Can a business buy guns

caliboy1321
04-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Can a business (llc) get a c&r and buy guns like they can in other states. How would it work filling out the 4473?

DVSmith
04-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Can a business (llc) get a c&r and buy guns like they can in other states. How would it work filling out the 4473?

I asked CA DOJ that question. They told me only an individual can buy firearms.

I'll see if I can find the exact exchange and post it.

DVSmith
04-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Here it is:

Dear <DVSmith>,

Your request for information has been received and reviewed. Firearms may not be purchased under the name of a corporation in California. A Dealers Record of Sale for a firearms purchase must be done by a person in his or her own name. Please do not hesitate to contact the Firearms Division at (916) 263-4887 if you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Nate Barrell, Analyst
Firearms Division

>>> "<DVSmith> 11/13/2006 11:36 AM >>>
Name: <DVSmith>
Phone Number: 999-999-9999
Email: xxx@xxx.xxx

Message: Can a California corporation purchase and own firearms?

For example:
If a company incorporates and is in the business of providing firearms safety training; can the company own the firearms used for training as it would any other equipment?

If so, what steps are involved?

Thank you for your help with this question.

Sincerely,
<DVSmith>

DVSmith
04-15-2008, 12:09 PM
If this is true, it's a CA law, not federal.

Maybe Bill or one of the Legal Beagles here can comment. All I know is what CA DOJ told me, sorry!

dustoff31
04-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Maybe Bill or one of the Legal Beagles here can comment. All I know is what CA DOJ told me, sorry!

Oh, I believe you. I was posting that before your email post showed up. That's why I deleted it.

DVSmith
04-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Oh, I believe you. I was posting that before your email post showed up. That's why I deleted it.

No offense taken, I was just apologizing for not knowing more. I find it interesting that federal law allows it. So in some states a corporation can buy firearms?

dustoff31
04-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Oh yes. In fact. it is quite common for people to place NFA items in a trust or corporation.

I too would be interested in hearing form the legal folks. As far as I know, a coprporation is considered a "person" in law.

hoffmang
04-15-2008, 2:35 PM
I need to look into it. I know that business purchase AWs and DDs under California law and regulation every day. Clearly armored vehicle services can buy guns.

-Gene

CCWFacts
04-15-2008, 3:09 PM
It seems impossible that firearms are the one thing in California that can only be owned by real persons. I'm curious about this.

dragonbait1a
04-15-2008, 7:28 PM
If businesses can't purchase firearms how do FFLs build inventory? I figured that most shooting schools, security companies, Gunsmiths, and other firearms businesses held FFLs and used that to equip their employees etc

But I don't know for sure....

RGB

Harrison_Bergeron
04-15-2008, 10:06 PM
This was posted in another thread, seems relevant.

CPC 12072. (a)(3)(A) No person, corporation, or firm shall sell, loan, or transfer a firearm to a minor, nor sell a handgun to an individual under 21 years of age

Why specify what they can do with them if they aren't supposed to have them in the first place?

This thread also quotes code relating to corporations purchasing guns.

Do you want an AOW or SBS/SBR in CA? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=82693)