PDA

View Full Version : No Flying or Guns

Harrison_Bergeron
04-15-2008, 11:26 AM
I didn't think this was getting enough attention burried in the Wal-Mart thread. I think this is a BIG deal, anyones name can be added to the list at any time for any reason, and it is just a name, no other info to differentiate John Smith the terrorist from John Smith the school teacher. It is my understanding that when you get turned down at an FFL for not passing the background check there is no system in place for clearing things up on the spot, unlike at the airport, so you won't get your gun.

Bloomberg's gun grabbing push (http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2008/apr/14/wal-mart-agrees-nyc-mayor-bloomberg-toughen-gun-po/)

he mayors group is trying to gather support in Congress to:

—End the gun show loophole.

—Require gun dealers to perform criminal background checks on all gun-handling employees.

—Close a so-called fire-sale loophole that allows gun dealers whose licenses have been revoked by the government to sell off their inventory without background checks.

—Add those placed on the terrorist no-fly list to the list of people prohibited from purchasing a firearm.

Here is an article about the no-fly list.

Faulty 'No-Fly' System Detailed (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A18735-2004Oct8.html)

Sutcliffe
04-15-2008, 11:29 AM
If you are a gun owner you are a terrorist. I think that's the message they are trying to convey.

SchooBaka
04-15-2008, 1:28 PM
Ever seen this?

FBI Pamphlet - Who's a Terrorist? (http://www.welfarestate.com/pamphlet/)

dustoff31
04-15-2008, 1:32 PM
I think this is a BIG deal, anyones name can be added to the list at any time for any reason, and it is just a name, no other info to differentiate John Smith the terrorist from John Smith the school teacher.

No argument here.

DesertGunner
04-15-2008, 1:42 PM
If you are a gun owner you are a terrorist. I think that's the message they are trying to convey.
:TFH::TFH::TFH::TFH:

Actually, I think the message is that if you are considered enough of a threat to be on the no-fly list, you shouldn't own a firearm, along with convicted felons and nutjobs. At the same time, there are significant problems with the no-fly lists to begin with.

JOEKILLA
04-15-2008, 1:45 PM
I'm in a cesspool of terrorists :eek:

socalguns
04-15-2008, 9:02 PM
Wouldn't that violate due process or something?
Its one thing to deny the right to travel by air,
because you're still free to travel by l and/sea.

Rocko
04-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Wouldn't that violate due process or something?
Its one thing to deny the right to travel by air,
because you're still free to travel by l and/sea.

Wait for the "Real ID Act" to hit and see if you can cross state lines without it! Please refer to early 1930s Germany for proof.

Harrison_Bergeron
04-15-2008, 10:52 PM
I feel I've read enough into the Real ID act to say that the conspiracy theorist are full of BS on this one. It is a federal standard for identification, not a Federal ID. Further more, the standards are largely based off of California's, so it will have little to no effect on us, if anything it is a good thing for CA because it means that the PRK can't give ID to illegals and actually render our IDs useless out of state.

DesertGunner
04-16-2008, 7:51 AM
I feel I've read enough into the Real ID act to say that the conspiracy theorist are full of BS on this one. It is a federal standard for identification, not a Federal ID. Further more, the standards are largely based off of California's, so it will have little to no effect on us, if anything it is a good thing for CA because it means that the PRK can't give ID to illegals and actually render our IDs useless out of state.

Ditto. Some states' DLs and ID cards are a joke and some sort of standards are necessary to maintain a plausible level of security. This is NOT a federal ID card system and anyone who says otherwise has too much tinfoil on their head.

AngelDecoys
04-16-2008, 8:04 AM
Ironically, if you're mistakenly put on the list for no flying, a simple legal name change (swapping your middle with your first name) down at the post office removes you from the no fly list. A buddy of mine 'red flagged' found that easier than all the paperwork necessary to have your name removed going through proper channels.