PDA

View Full Version : Brady Campaign: HELP REDUCE GUN DEATHS AND INJURIES

Dont Tread on Me
04-14-2008, 9:48 AM
Please call etc recommending the opposite of what Sarah Brady wants! I'm just posting this so you see how active the other side is.

A life-saving new bill, AB 2235, will come up for a vote on Tuesday, April 15, in the Assembly Public Safety Committee. This bill would require new handguns to have fingerprint or grip recognition so that only an authorized user can fire the gun. The committee members need to hear from all of us!

EMAIL THE ASSEMBLY PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE
Tell them: "I Urge You to Support AB 2235:
Help Reduce Gun Deaths and Injuries in California."

Consumer product modifications, such as pool covers and childproof caps on medicine bottles, have reduced injuries and saved lives. We should expect the same level of safety on handguns. "Owner Authorized" handguns will help reduce injuries, homicides, suicides, school shootings, and accidental shootings in California.

Here is what you can do to help:

1. Email the Assembly Public Safety Committee.
Tell them: "I urge you to support AB 2235: Help reduce gun deaths and injuries in California."
One click emails the entire Public Safety Committee.

2. Forward this e-mail to friends, family, and colleagues in California.

3. Click here to contribute to our efforts in California and across the country.

For more information on this legislation or to get involved locally in the gun violence prevention movement, please contact the California Brady Campaign Chapters.

Thank you for helping to reduce gun violence in California!

Sincerely,

Sarah Brady, Chair

Casual Observer
04-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Is this even technologically possible?

gosparx
04-14-2008, 10:20 AM
No, but that didn't stop New Jersey from PASSING such a bill into LAW several years ago. If I remember right, the Jersey law is worded such that as soon as ANY gun becomes available with this technology, then ALL guns sold in Jersey will require it.

dustoff31
04-14-2008, 10:51 AM
No, but that didn't stop New Jersey from PASSING such a bill into LAW several years ago. If I remember right, the Jersey law is worded such that as soon as ANY gun becomes available with this technology, then ALL guns sold in Jersey will require it.

If that's the case, perhaps we should be writing to the manufacturers as well as the lawmakers.

G60
04-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Consumer product modifications, such as pool covers and childproof caps on medicine bottles, have reduced injuries and saved lives. We should expect the same level of safety on handguns.

we do have the same level of safety on handguns. locks are required with every purchase, and locks are just as optional as pool covers and childproof caps. pool covers can be removed and thrown away. chidproof caps can be removed, or flipped over for easier opening by people with arthiritis.

to quote an oft-used phrase, let's use a little 'common sense'

scewper
04-14-2008, 11:40 AM
If that's the case, perhaps we should be writing to the manufacturers as well as the lawmakers.

Even if all the major firearms manufacturers decided not to design a pistol with those features, what is stopping some new research company from designing their own? If they were successful, they'd pretty much have a monopoly.

tombinghamthegreat
04-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Well if the law passes at least the black market will remain unharmed from the law.

Rivers
04-14-2008, 12:48 PM
I want to know when every car sold must be equipped with a sobriety tester! Considering how many citizens are killed by drunk drivers each year - and those numbers seriously outnumber those killed by handguns, this only makes as much sense as gun chips. In reality, sounds more like cow chips.

Icarus
04-14-2008, 12:51 PM
If they are so sure of the technology why don't they reguire law enforcement to use it before civilians? Especially on their backup guns which would prove its viability on very small weapons.

Glock22Fan
04-14-2008, 12:58 PM
If they are so sure of the technology why don't they reguire law enforcement to use it before civilians? Especially on their backup guns which would prove its viability on very small weapons.

Especially as cops are far more likely to be shot with their own guns than are the rest of us.

Ironchef
04-14-2008, 1:00 PM
I think i saw something like this on discovery or military channel or somewhere. A bracelet or ring that when warn, and in proximity of similarly coded weapon, allows it to fire. Sounded cool..the ultimate home storage safety tool..along with the other ultimate home storage safeties like safes..locks, etc...

Being compelled to have it because the gun is not considered a protected item of ownership and equal to a swimming pool or medicine bottle? Be nice to throw a big key lime pie in Sarah Brady's face!

AJD
04-14-2008, 5:24 PM
Yeah, there are pool covers, gates and such to reduce drownings, but the last time I checked, there was no law requiring them. And strangely, I don't hear the "we just want to save lives" folks of the Brady group pushing for those, especially when you consider a child is 100 MORE times likely to drown in a pool than suffer an accidental gunshot according to the stats. But guns are evil.

RRangel
04-14-2008, 5:43 PM
Their reasoning is flawed even if they think it will prevent "violence". I really dislike the fact they do not make the distinction of good violence. It's just violence, well, because people do not have a right to the best means of self defense.

I think by now their purpose in this world is well known. They never miss a chance to endorse a gun ban, and the chance to disarm victims.

Casual Observer
04-14-2008, 5:58 PM
I want to know when every car sold must be equipped with a sobriety tester! Considering how many citizens are killed by drunk drivers each year - and those numbers seriously outnumber those killed by handguns, this only makes as much sense as gun chips. In reality, sounds more like cow chips.

Hear you loud and clear.

On average, more than 80,000 people a year are killed through medical malpractice in the US.

Perhaps we should outlaw medical instruments and doctors too. :cool:

G60
04-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Yeah, there are pool covers, gates and such to reduce drownings, but the last time I checked, there was no law requiring them.

i believe that for years now, law has been any new pool is required to be enclosed by a fence.