PDA

View Full Version : Quick Q: Status of "Vermont Carry" legislation in TX?

Paladin
04-13-2008, 3:32 PM
I remember years ago (late '90s?), Dr. Suzanna Hupp was pushing to take TX to "Vermont Carry" (like Alaska too).

I know that did not pass back then. Does anyone know if the NRA or others are still trying to get that passed? I'm just curious.

Thanks ahead of time. I'll ck back next weekend for any replies.

Until then. . .

M. Sage
04-13-2008, 5:47 PM
Just last year, IIRC, Texas got something close: it's now legal to carry concealed while "traveling", no permits needed.

stag1500
04-13-2008, 9:14 PM
Just last year, IIRC, Texas got something close: it's now legal to carry concealed while "traveling", no permits needed.

Kind of like Nevada. Good for them.

Paladin
04-19-2008, 5:30 PM
Just last year, IIRC, Texas got something close: it's now legal to carry concealed while "traveling", no permits needed.Thanks for the update.

The more I think about it, the more I think that VT Carry should be our ultimate goal. To me, the idea that you have the right to use deadly force to defend your/others' lives in public, and yet the gov't that forbids you from carrying a deadly weapon is under no legal duty to protect your life, is ludicrous, esp for females. The only deadly force we can use is unarmed combat or improvised weapons against BGs armed w/knives, clubs and/or guns? That's insane!

For far too long we have put up with some politician w/a shield and a gun paternalistically saying it is for our own good, that the public can't be trusted w/firearms in public, that alpha-male heroes of the "thin blue line" will protect us. Hogwash! Sorry, but in the vast majority of cases, YOU will be your own first responder. The only question is whether you'll be equipped and trained to defend your life or not. LEOs are usually 2nd responders. If they get there before you're dead, great. If not, your descendants can't sue the gov't for having disarmed you.

Someone in another thread (no, I'm not going to track it down), said CCW permits support this loss of our 2nd A RKBA (and someone else said they may be a way of registering gun owners). That is perhaps true, but, IMO, there is no way (barring a serious Heller win) that the PRK will go straight from May Issue to VT Carry. So I see increasing May Issue and then going to Shall Issue as necessary evils until we can get to VT Carry.