PDA

View Full Version : private party transfers

colt 45
04-13-2008, 3:45 PM
Can anyone tell me if a private party transfer of a hand gun has to be face to face.

Josh3239
04-13-2008, 3:46 PM
That is what a Private Party transfer (PPT) is. The only other type of transfer is when one individual ships the firearm to an FFL and another DROSes it. This other type is NOT a PPT.

So all PPTs meet at one location. But if for whatever reason that way cannot be done one can ship it to a dealer.

colt 45
04-13-2008, 3:56 PM
O.K I guess what I am saying is if I have a handgun thats not on the calif roster and someone in the other end of the state wants to buy is it legal to ship to his dealer so he can buy it.

Gator Monroe
04-13-2008, 4:05 PM
Can seller of a Handgun and a Shotgun go to FFL with buyer ,fill out paperwork on both firearms for transfer of ownership to buyer ,buyer pays transfer fee or fees , weapons go back to sellers house for 10 days, on 11th day buyer & seller meet again at FFL and FFL observes as Seller surrenders Shotgun & Handgun to buyer and they both leave FFL (Done deal)

colt 45
04-13-2008, 4:14 PM
Can seller of a Handgun and a Shotgun go to FFL with buyer ,fill out paperwork on both firearms for transfer of ownership to buyer ,buyer pays transfer fee or fees , weapons go back to sellers house for 10 days, on 11th day buyer & seller meet again at FFL and FFL observes as Seller surrenders Shotgun & Handgun to buyer and they both leave FFL (Done deal)

Excuse me but am I missing something here>whats this got to do with what I am asking.I mean no disrespect.

5150Marcelo
04-13-2008, 4:16 PM
this should get good. Let me get some...
:lurk5:

hoffmang
04-13-2008, 4:25 PM
There does appear to be a species of remote PPT inside CA. Please search for it as Lunde posted the "how to." Most FFLs aren't aware of it and most at DOJ aren't either.

-Gene

Gator Monroe
04-13-2008, 4:35 PM
Excuse me but am I missing something here>whats this got to do with what I am asking.I mean no disrespect.

I think the posters here can handle multiple variations of a PPT transfer theme using an FFL (Hope you would also )

colt 45
04-13-2008, 4:45 PM
I think the posters here can handle multiple variations of a PPT transfer theme using an FFL (Hope you would also )

I am sorry and I am not being rude,but I am looking for a specific answer to a specific situation.Not being part of academic debate on variations of ppts.

Gator Monroe
04-13-2008, 4:53 PM
So does that mean that once your Questions answer is fleshed out that your OK with thread living on until my question is bounced around a little ?

colt 45
04-13-2008, 4:57 PM
[QUOTE=Gator Monroe;1135757]So does that mean that once your Questions answer is fleshed out that your OK with thread living on until my question is bounced around a little ?[/QUOTE
Thats sound fine.

Gator Monroe
04-13-2008, 5:00 PM
Great (Now let's hope that it wont take 80 more views of this thread to get some answers ...

avidone
04-13-2008, 5:01 PM
Here is the little known info you are looking for:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=987837&postcount=19

colt 45
04-13-2008, 5:08 PM
Here is the little known info you are looking for:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=987837&postcount=19

Thank you Avidone.

colt 45
04-13-2008, 5:10 PM
Great (Now let's hope that it wont take 80 more views of this thread to get some answers ...
Thank you Gator for being a gentleman.

avidone
04-13-2008, 5:10 PM
Here is a bit more detail of exactly how in another post from Calgunner mscales5:

Not true if you follow the CA procedures. If you are a CA PRIVATE PARTY and wish to sell your firearm to CA PRIVATE PARTY in another part of the state you can have your firearm shipped to a FFL in the buyers area. Here is how you do this; Take your firearm to a FFL. Have the FFL PRINT a DROS form for Gun Shows and fill out the "Sellers Information" section of the form and make a copy of your CA DL or ID card on the back ( I also ask for the sellers thumb print) and SWIPE the DL or ID and print the info on the back of the form like for Gun Show transactions when a computer is not available. With this DROS filled out the FFL can ship this firearm to the buyers FFL and the paperwork can be filled out. To do this the FFL must ship the firearm as verification it is the firearm that came from that person. Shipping cost should be lower then the cost of driving to do the transfer. This is how I was told by the DOJ to do this type of transaction.

Gator Monroe
04-13-2008, 5:18 PM
Thank you Gator for being a gentleman.

In the past I COULD HAVE BEEN BRANDED A Racist,Homophobe,spammer Threadjacker, and had a torch carrying mob demanding banishment or worse, but since we Ironed it out in a prompt civil manner we both are the better for it !

Serpentine
04-13-2008, 7:05 PM
The DOJ has repeatedly said this is not a legal private party to private party transfer, that both seller and buyer must meet the transfer dealer face to face at the dealer's legal premises, though not necessarily at the same time.

Here is a bit more detail of exactly how in another post from Calgunner mscales5:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscales5
Not true if you follow the CA procedures. If you are a CA PRIVATE PARTY and wish to sell your firearm to CA PRIVATE PARTY in another part of the state you can have your firearm shipped to a FFL in the buyers area. Here is how you do this; Take your firearm to a FFL. Have the FFL PRINT a DROS form for Gun Shows and fill out the "Sellers Information" section of the form and make a copy of your CA DL or ID card on the back ( I also ask for the sellers thumb print) and SWIPE the DL or ID and print the info on the back of the form like for Gun Show transactions when a computer is not available. With this DROS filled out the FFL can ship this firearm to the buyers FFL and the paperwork can be filled out. To do this the FFL must ship the firearm as verification it is the firearm that came from that person. Shipping cost should be lower then the cost of driving to do the transfer. This is how I was told by the DOJ to do this type of transaction.

colt 45
04-14-2008, 6:24 AM
Well after two pages we have one yeah with at least some promise of hope with some commmentary and one nay with my mommy says so.

hawk1
04-14-2008, 8:38 AM
I've been told by DOJ that a "split" ppt is not allowed and would be caught in an audit very easily. The same person at DOJ could not give me a code or reg that says it could or could not be done. They also could not tell me how the parties involved (buyer and seller) would be affected if or when the audit caught the "split" transaction.
After all that,
The bigger question is will you find two FFL's that will do it?