PDA

View Full Version : More attacks on RKBA by CA legislators

KenpoProfessor
04-12-2008, 6:14 AM
http://www.burbankleader.com/articles/2008/04/12/politics/gnp-pollandscape11.txt

POLITICAL LANDSCAPE:
Lawmaker targets gun ‘loophole’

The California Senate Public Safety Committee on Tuesday approved a bill being carried by State Sen. Jack Scott that would prohibit carrying a loaded firearm while in a vehicle in unincorporated areas of the state.

Incorporated cities already prohibit carrying loaded firearms in vehicles, as do some individual counties that have passed similar gun-control ordinances — including Los Angeles County.

But Scott’s bill, which is sponsored by a host of public safety entities including the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, would extend the prohibition of loaded firearms in vehicles to unincorporated areas in counties that don’t currently address the issue, he said.

“Right now, the only way you could outlaw carrying a loaded weapon in unincorporated areas, it has to be a local ordinance, but it creates a patchwork,” Scott said. “What this really does is establish uniformity throughout the state.”

Many of the unincorporated areas that would be affected by the bill are rural areas of the state, where hunting is more common. advertisement

“The Legislature probably left that loophole in place for certain rural areas where people want rifles for hunting,” said Steve Whitmore, spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. “So what this does, it closes the loophole.”

The measure also defines a loaded firearm as a gun with an attached, loaded clip, Scott said. If the clip is not attached to a gun, it’s not considered loaded, he said.

Scott called the bill a natural extension of a comprehensive gun-control measure he ushered through the Legislature in 1999 that made it easier for district attorneys to charge people carrying concealed firearms with a felony.

In 2000, less than 45% of people arrested for possession of a concealed firearm were charged with felonies; in 2003, that number jumped to 61.5%, according to Scott’s office.

The current bill, which passed 3-2 in the committee, also gives discretion to district attorneys to determine whether those carrying a loaded firearm in their vehicle would be charged with a misdemeanor or a felony, Scott said.

“This is a very helpful matter to target nefarious people who have an evil intent on the other hands,” Scott said. “Normally if you’re carrying around a loaded gun, you’re ready for action. It’s not like a hunter who goes out into the woods, loads his gun and hunts deer or quail — that’s not what I’m talking about.”

The bill will be heard next in the Senate Appropriations Committee.

These guys are just not going to stop are they?

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

edwardm
04-12-2008, 6:48 AM
I was trying to talk about this 2-3 weeks ago, but no one seemed to notice. Since it only impacts rural dwellers in any meaningful way, perhaps no one really cares all that much.

And no, they're never going to stop. Not in this state. Not until there is a body of caselaw sufficient to force them to stop.

http://www.burbankleader.com/articles/2008/04/12/politics/gnp-pollandscape11.txt

These guys are just not going to stop are they?

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

yellowfin
04-12-2008, 7:10 AM
Actually they can be stopped if we pass a law like PA has and have it actually be a crime to write anti gun legislation. Otherwise the ultimate solution is to stop the flow of dollars and votes and social approval that comes as the reward for pushing the anti 2A agenda. It pays them too well. I seriously believe that there are zero at the top of it that actually believe it but it pays them money and power and attention. Quite honestly they don't care if you live or die, probably even prefer the latter to prove their point that people die so they are needed. If they could get as wealthy, powerful, and popular pushing red toothpicks and green flip flops instead they'd do it no questions asked. Remove the dollars and the votes and the connections and the CNN coverage and I would bet everything I own that 95% of it would disappear overnight.

Ford8N
04-12-2008, 9:56 AM
Another law because big city cops can't control crime in the ghetto.

kap
04-12-2008, 10:27 AM
I really wish they would just stop trying pass laws to close "loopholes" and get rid of the laws that create them in the first place.

Harrison_Bergeron
04-12-2008, 12:06 PM
There is only one way to stop the onslaught...

Charliegone
04-12-2008, 2:34 PM
“The Legislature probably left that loophole in place for certain rural areas where people want rifles for hunting,” said Steve Whitmore, spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. “So what this does, it closes the loophole.”

Wow, totally legitimate purpose (that he himself identifies), yet it seems this guy just doesn't give a damn (as his superiors). Makes me want to choke a midget.:mad:

Fate
04-12-2008, 4:06 PM
Notice the bill's author. Sen. Jack Scott. Same Pasadena representative that effed us in 1999. Same guy who was former ADA Allison Merrilee's boss once upon a time.

RRangel
04-12-2008, 4:43 PM
Their arguments are baseless, when their own policies are the source of that crime which this legislation purports to control.
More foolishness from disingenuous fools. I guess it's up to people here to prepare for another round of contacting their reps.