PDA

View Full Version : Family not into guns, can i will firearms to a non relative

AS45-70
04-11-2008, 6:07 PM
Can I will a gun or guns to a non relative who meets the requirements to own firearms.

While i do have siblings, one is not interested in guns and the other is not allowed to own them.

anyone know ?

Mr. Mildot
04-11-2008, 6:09 PM
You can will your belongings to anyone you choose. In order to get the firearms they would have to be legally able to own them, but that's the only hang-up.

Librarian
04-11-2008, 6:09 PM
Can I will a gun or guns to a non relative who meets the requirements to own firearms.

While i do have siblings, one is not interested in guns and the other is not allowed to own them.

anyone know ?Sure, you can do that. I hope the transfer isn't imminent....

Matt C
04-11-2008, 6:12 PM
You can will property to whomever you wish, but a trust is a much better idea since it avoids probate court. They can be set up for less than $500.

AS45-70
04-11-2008, 6:18 PM
My concern is that the state would take my firearms and they would be destroyed if my family didnt claim them. I dont think my one sibling would claim them, at least the one who can actually own firearms. Would i be correct in saying that the State would take them all anyway, then the person or persons i will certain firearms to would have to go through the state to claim them. ?

This has come up because my dad is very ill and it made me think about what i would want done with my valuables.

hoffmang
04-11-2008, 6:59 PM
No.

If you have a valid uncontested will, ownership of your firearms will pass to exactly who you command them to be. There are specific exceptions to all the California transfer restrictions for "operation of law" which is how your will would be treated under law for firearms transfer purposes.

The only exceptions to that are large-capacity magazines and registered AWs.

-Gene

eta34
04-11-2008, 7:33 PM
Do you need my name/address/etc. to put in the trust? I will make sure your firearms are well taken care of. You have always been my favorite calgunner. I assure you I am able to own firearms legally. Thank you.

Fjold
04-11-2008, 8:10 PM
Do you need my name/address/etc. to put in the trust? I will make sure your firearms are well taken care of. You have always been my favorite calgunner. I assure you I am able to own firearms legally. Thank you.

LOL, quick on the draw there.

CSACANNONEER
04-11-2008, 8:13 PM

Damn, beat me to it! Well, I'm closer to you than eta is and probably uglier too! When the time comes, I promise to take good care of them and only pass them on to someone who will apreciate them.

retired
04-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Well, eta being an active leo would probably have a conflict accepting them, especially if this solicitation is made known (it will be:D). I, on the other hand, being retired le have no conflicts and can readily accept them. I have pm'ed my particulars. Thanks.:D

eta34
04-11-2008, 10:20 PM
How about I purchase them for one dollar today? I will lease them to you for the rest of your life for one dollar. Once you die, I will take possession. Seems fair to me.

AS45-70
04-12-2008, 6:16 PM
you guys are relentless..this is first thread i wanted to unsubscibe to and i am the friggin creator of it :)

Nahuatl
04-13-2008, 1:42 PM
Assets in a trust are held in the name of the trust ex. John Smith trustee of the John Smith Family Trust dated 00/00/2008. Since handguns are individually registered by serial number in CA to an owner, and you're going to have a tough time convincing an FFL and the DOJ to OK the paperwork, I respectfully submit that you're not going to get firearms registered to the trust the same way you can with a car, bank account, or deed. I was advised to put the pistols and revolvers in my will instead and leave explicit instructions for the executor and not involve the successor trustee.

USN CHIEF
04-13-2008, 2:05 PM
Well, eta being an active leo would probably have a conflict accepting them, especially if this solicitation is made known (it will be:D). I, on the other hand, being retired le have no conflicts and can readily accept them. I have pm'ed my particulars. Thanks.:D

Second in line if deal does not fall through:43:

FEDUPWBS
04-13-2008, 2:29 PM
First in line, IF deal falls through!

AS45-70
04-13-2008, 6:00 PM
Thanks for the info guys, it comforts me to know my airsoft collection will be well taken care of when i am worm food. :)